The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Want more poor kids for uni? Let me try to help > Comments

Want more poor kids for uni? Let me try to help : Comments

By Chris Bonnor, published 18/3/2009

Gathering up the poor and pointing them towards university won’t be an easy task ...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
What is it with these people who have a mania for putting people into universities just because they are 'poor'? The so-called poor in Australia are also thick: that's why they are poor.

People who are not rich - which passes for being poor in Australia - can access teriary education in many ways, and they don't have to pay for it until they are earning - just like everyone else.

We have enough well off and not so well off dropkicks coming out of universities as it is; most of them should not have wasted their time and our money in the first place.

What Australia needs is more TAFE-trained tradespeople,not would-be intellectuals too dumb to make the grade.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 18 March 2009 9:09:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So how do I exploit the system like the tokens who make it through. I'm extremely economically disadvantaged, but also caucasian and Australian born. I haven't lost my legs or capacity to walk, yet have had mental issues. I'd have to pay hundreds for books, yet if I was the right color or couldn't (literally) stand on my own feet, then something would cover that cost for me. Ironically, though schemes to indigenous are generous, they mostly go to waste as most don't bother to properly use the opportunity offered. For years, there was the student union tax, levied upon poor students who if they didn't pay would be denied enrolment and their transcripts, not like they'd have time to use the cheap rowing club or gym as they would be busy working in their spare time to make ends meet. Pity if I'd like an active and healthy lifestyle as well as a brighter future. I didn't go to a government high school, but I read Chris' book and 'he rocks'.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Wednesday, 18 March 2009 9:47:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The reality is that anyone in Australia talented enough to get a university degree can get one - if they want it badly enough.

The truth is that a lot of people would rather do something else.
Posted by The Observer, Wednesday, 18 March 2009 10:14:44 AM
I went to the local library this morning to gleam the regional newspapers.

Here’s a gem from the Cairn’s Post.

Headline – Teaching earns top marks in popularity

Quote “ Mother-of–two … now in her third year of a teaching degree, was accepted into the course despite not finishing Year 12. She said she chose teaching for the stable hours”

Enough said.
Posted by The Observer, Wednesday, 18 March 2009 10:37:52 AM
Leigh, you have hit the nail right on the head. The sooner we get some Technical schools back into the system and start teaching our kids the benefits of doing something with their hands instead of filling their brains with crap that is of no use to them in the real world, the better.

There are too many kids getting into universities in the first place, only to drop out before the first year is finished. We need a system in place whereby those kids can have access to vocational training with the same assistance given to aspiring university students. Then we won't have this continual cry for migrants to fill skilled positions.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 18 March 2009 11:46:05 AM
I suspect these so-called 'poor' students are probably not capabale of achieving matriculation. Similar to the sub-prime fiasco the politicians are now trying to engineer degrees for those not really qualified.

Observer is right anyone talented enough can get a degree in Australia.

I think the social engineering that's been carried out in our secondary schools by Labor Education Departments and Unions has seen an emphasis away from the traditional courses, especially in years 10 to 12, that once ensured successful matriculation.

I chose the public school my son attended on the basis of it's strenght in Mathematics and Science.

Studing MathsB, MathsC, Physics, Chemistry English and German,
(couldn't find a public school teaching Latin ... in Brisbane)in years 10-12, led my very average year 8 student to Graduate 11 years later from QUT with a Bachelor of Mathematics with Distinction and a Bachelor of Engineering(Electrical and Computer Engineering)-Second Class Honours.

Three of the five Graduates in his cohort had attended public schools, two were from disrupted families suffering all sorts of hardship. Three came from 'poorer' suburbs. All had studied the traditional subjects. Three of the five had studied Latin and the other two German.

Four of the five achieved Distinctions in Mathematics and Second Class Honours or better in Engineering. The fellow who 'merely' passed had attended a private school and was far from 'poor'... in any sense.

Four are working in excellent engineering positions. Two in mining, one in an electricity supply company and one for Australia's premier Consulting Engineering Company. The fifth, the only woman, is completing Mathematics as an Honours Student and is destined for a future in academia.

I could, but won't; but I would love someone to undertake a longitudinal study investigating the relationships between individual Secondary Schools cirriculums and their prevailling pedagogy, and their students later Matriculation and Graduation.

I suspect the results would confirm my ancedotal experience.

If parents became aware of the effect of this traditional pedagogy on their kids' intellects, there'd be a stampede to schools providing the traditional disciplies ... regardless of status.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 18 March 2009 1:18:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy