The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bligh has margin for error > Comments

Bligh has margin for error : Comments

By David Moore, published 4/2/2009

Queensland goes to the polls this year and the new LNP faces an uphill battle against Labor and Anna Bligh.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
This article seems a good evaluation of the prospects of the major political parties in the forthcoming state elections.

Reading between the lines, it seems likely that, insofar as the major political parties are concerned, Queenslanders don't have a great choice.

The Government is tired and shown itself to be incompetent and a tool of powerful vested interests particularly land speculators, property developers and mining companies.

The opposition seems fresh and, on some issues such as fluoridation (by supporting a referendum on the question), the Traveston Dam and forced council amalgamations adopted more principled democratic stances.

Nevertheless, judging from the past records of Liberal/National Party Governments, it won't be fundamentally different from Labor.

In one regard, I still find Labor preferable to the LNP and that is that it never turned wholesale against the unions as coalition Governments in Queensland and other states have. Nevertheless, its treatment of unions, including the ETU (see "What will disaffiliation from the Labor Party achieve for the ETU?" of 1 July 2008 http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=7563) fall a long way short of what we should be able to expect from a Labor Government.

As in many other parts of the world, the presence of media outlets owned by Rupert Murdoch poses a serious threat to Queensland democracy.

I have written of this in the following articles:

"Courier Mail praises Bligh Government's 'solving' of population-growth-driven water crisis of its own making" of 3 Feb 09 at http://candobetter.org/node/1028

"Courier Mail breaks 'news' to Qld taxpayers, ratepayers: amalgamations will cost you" of 30 Jan 09 at http://candobetter.org/node/1021

"Courier Mail manipulates reporting of water recycling to demand early election" of 5 Jan 09 at http://candobetter.org/node/972

"The Australian laments outcome of Queensland local government elections" of 30 March 2008 at http://candobetter.org/node/388
Posted by daggett, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 9:45:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David
I'm not so sure.
As the saying goes all politics are local.
While the amalgamation/rebranding may have offer morale boost to some on the conservative side it will ultimately come down in many seats to the credibility of the candidate locally.

According to well connected family sources a number of could/should win seats the LNP have nominated candidates on the basis of internal politics rather than the best chance to win. In the process they have alienated many of their own members. Support for some of the following candidates at branch level is well badly divided. Like they say the public will not tolerate a divided party.

What must not be forgotten is the local factor. While up there on a prolonged visit I noted that during the last council period a number of councils had very unpopular “pro development” and or conservative dominated councils. Many of these council blocs travelled for the last 3 year with approval ratings less than 30%. Not surprisingly many suffered humiliating cleansing. Yet some of these dumped ex councillors or narrowly surviving highly visible characters are now standing as LNP candidates .

The rise of anti development and the hurting new home owners are angry. Some seats are unhappy with the destruction of their environment (views, bucolic views, and increased congestion). AGW appears a minor issue. Forced council amalgamation and forced state control of water resources will be issues.
In some seats both ALP and LPN internal information suggest critical.
I suspect if there is a swing it will be a protest vote towards the Greens/alterative single interest candidates and independents. If they are to capitalize on this they must start running soon. Consequently preferences will be important.
It’ll be interesting.
Pity I’m back home no
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 2:24:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bligh or Springborg? Same dog, different haircut.Neither of them desrve to win.

Best not to vote at all than to vote for more of the same.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 6:05:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes daggett, The Curious Whale have their own vested interests in land development and urban consolidation (living shoebox) policy's, (their Bowen Hills worksite development and hopeful staff relocation) Give them a couple of trans-located koalas as others have had to put up with and lets see curiously how they perform with facts and not nimby fiction.
Posted by Dallas, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 7:25:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's one of those funny situations in which I sometimes think of moving interstate. I had high hopes for Anna Bligh, but she is not doing much that impresses me. But Springborg - seriously? I am one of the few people I know who has an interest in politics, but I am struggling to muster up any excitement about the current - or next - government.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 4 February 2009 10:14:10 PM
Thanks for you interest, Dallas.

One of the silver clouds on the dark cloud of recession is that the awful project to redevelop the Royal National Association (Ekka) Showgrounds at Bowen Hills appears to have been put on hold.

If you know anything about this I would be interested to know.

I can be reached through my home page.
Posted by daggett, Friday, 6 February 2009 3:17:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy