The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Inside Hillsong > Comments

Inside Hillsong : Comments

By Andrew Prior, published 14/1/2009

Book review: 'People in Glass Houses: An Insiders Story of Life In and Out of Hillsong' by Tanya Levin.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Like Bennie, I have attended pentecostal church services, didn't quite fit in as I never could speak in tongues. I don't think I have ever experienced holy spirit. But still I believe in Jesus and have found a more traditional church to go to.

To believe is to think something is true (with reasons). The behaviours of other Christians would not and should not be a factor that affects my belief.

I think different churches suit different personalities. That's alright by me.

The other day I heard a non-Christian saying Hillsong has many attractive chicks. I'm excited about that.
One day I would like to attend Hillsong church, to have some fun. But I suspect Hillsong is not for me in the long run.
Posted by MGC Pal, Wednesday, 28 January 2009 5:32:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hillsong Church is an amazing place for a number of reasons. It is a world vision Church, but probably the best part of its ministry is the way its pastors, both male and female manage to bring the Holy Bible to life,and show its relevance to the day to day lives of its members.

Like all Churches it seeks support from ts congregation. The Difference between Hillsong and Anglican Church, is not in the storytelling, although Hillsong wins there, but in the thought and imagination that goes into fund raising. It is stressed all the time at Hillsong that no one is compelled to give what they cannot afford. However like the late Crazy John, who was a Muslim, testimonies are given about the blessings that come from a generous spirit. Hillsong prides itself on its generosity.

We had 4500 men at a conference about 18 months ago, who were told of a need in Lima Peru, for a Home for emotionally scarred girls, with bulimia and anorexia, and rape victims. The Church there had three counsellors, but no premises. The men collected $230,000 in cash on one day, and every cent went to Lima. In June the Pastor of that Church, an American, came to Hillsong Conference and said Thank you. There was not one dry eye in the auditorium, of 20,000 people.

With over thirty venues throughout the City of Sydney there are plenty of opportunities to be part of this Church, that never closes. It is the Body of Christ, and it attracts people from all walks of life. It has an army of volunteers. The old saying that what you get out of an organisation, relates to what you put in, applies. It is a seven day church, not just a Sunday wonder. And Yes, there are some lovely young women in it, and lots of talented singers and musicians. It has not shown me one boring service in over three years. The excitement and enthusiasm is contagious.

The opportunity to be part of this amazing church, is not something I would have liked to miss.
Posted by Peter the Believer, Thursday, 29 January 2009 6:50:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tania Levin's story is disturbing. I was myself a member of Hillsong for 7 years; 5 of which I was on full-time paid staff.

For my own reflections, see my blog at:

http://www.thethinkingtheologian.blogspot.com
Posted by Theo, Friday, 30 January 2009 3:51:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Theo

You raise some very valid points in your blog. Just be careful you don't pull up the wheat with the weeds. It is not your job.
Posted by runner, Friday, 30 January 2009 5:03:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Theo,
You think the main attraction of Hillsong Church lies in the hope of the good life?
Strange... I always thought a Christian believes Jesus is the truth. Whether a good life or bad has nothing to do with it.

I have never been to Hillsong church and for sure would be uncomfortable with 'charades' within a mega church or a pentecostal church. Though I am definite that I won't become so disillusioned as to turn to agnosticism (like Tanya Levin did). That would be missing the point.

Neither do I think good Christianity is about having good leadership in a church. A good leadership is a bonus, whether in a church, corporation or a government. Sure I hope there are plenty of wise leaders in a church. But the real church is your own body. So I really don't understand your fixation on leadership in Hillsong church as a 'thinking' christian.
Posted by MGC Pal, Saturday, 31 January 2009 6:56:04 PM
Theo,
While I sense some pain or hurt coming from your thoughts, we need be judicious before sending alligators to those attempting to do good, those who are also made of flesh and blood. We’re all in this together. In all disputable matters we ought to refer to the dictum as set in the user’s manual, Romans 14:4.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Saturday, 31 January 2009 11:05:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy