The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mumbai's melting pot gives way to forces of intolerance > Comments

Mumbai's melting pot gives way to forces of intolerance : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 3/12/2008

'The fact of the matter is you have Hindus who are terrorists. You have Muslims who are terrorists. You also have Christians who are terrorists.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Thanks for providing the opportunity to clarify one burning issue, Gibo.

>>I wondered, no offence, who are these christians who are terrorists? ... Christians come in one category, or they are not christians. That category is as followers of Jesus Christ.<<

This, as we know, is the standard Boaz Defence.

Not as famous as Petroff's Defence, perhaps, or Paulsen's Variation on the Sicilian. But pretty familiar around these parts nonetheless.

At its foundation, it says that any un-Christian behaviour cannot, by definition, have been carried out by a Christian.

The Crusades weren't waged by Christians, because they didn't follow Jesus' rules of peace and non-engagement.

Northern Ireland wasn't infested with Christian terrorists, killing and torturing each other, as well as any handy civilians who were passing, because that simply isn't Jesus' way.

Now we get this, from today's newspaper.

"The influential Muslim Jama Masjid Trust, which runs the 3ha Badakabrastan graveyard, said it would not bury the gunmen because they were not true followers of Islam. Hanif Nalkhande, a spokesman for the trust, said: 'People who committed this heinous crime cannot be called Muslim. Islam does not permit this sort of barbaric crime.'"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24742322-25837,00.html

Can we just run that one again, in Super Slo-mo.

"People who committed this heinous crime cannot be called Muslim. Islam does not permit this sort of barbaric crime."

Works for me.

Incidentally, I do recall that it used to be standard IRA practice, not only to happily bury their terrorists in holy ground, but also to glorify the occasion, as if they were interring heroes.

Interesting comparison, really.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 2:04:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poly/Boaz

The ultimate get-out-of-jail-free-card:

>>>You canNOT have 'Christian' terrorists. Such a term is an oxymoron.
You can only have 'people calling themselves' Christian who might perpetrate evil and terror.<<<

This has to be the biggest lie you have ever told. If they believe in Jesus, god and worship the bible - they are christians.

You just have to be one of the most hypocritical people I have ever encountered and the LEAST christian of people.

Think on this written by a Christian:

" “Those Christians” make me uncomfortable because their actions cause me to consider my own. To analyze my actions, I listed bad behaviors often associated with Christians:

Mistake #1: Thinking non-Christians are morally or ethically inferior to believers. I’ve made this mistake by not recognizing God can teach me through unbelieving friends. Some time ago, I offered to make photocopies of a booklet for one such friend. He replied, “No, I’ll buy my own booklet. It’s copyrighted, and I want the author to get his royalties.” My friend’s integrity amazed me, and my own lack of regard for the writer’s livelihood shocked me. This conversation was a poignant reminder: Everyone I encounter has a lesson to teach.

Mistake #2: Believing some sins are worse than others. Probably no one would admit to this attitude. But again, I’m guilty of this mistake due to my dismissive attitude toward sinful thoughts. When someone cuts me off in traffic, I feel entitled to anger. Bitterness, jealousy, and envy seem like “no big deal” because I haven’t done anything wrong. But then I remember coveting—forbidden in the Ten Commandments—is usually a thought, and many of the other nine can take the form of thoughts, too. Suddenly, those sinful thoughts don’t seem so little anymore.

Cont'd
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 2:15:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont'd

Mistake #3: Thinking Christians earn a “spiritual rank” through works—or lack thereof. Everyone’s heard the terms: the ungodly, baby Christians, backsliders, legalists, heretics, those who talk the talk but don’t walk the walk, and, of course, the spiritually mature. Since I’ve used only one or two of those terms in my entire life, surely I’m not guilty of this mistake. Yet, in some ways, I am. I gravitate toward the spiritually mature, believing only they can teach me. And I often overlook God’s power evidenced in new Christians. Because they see God’s Word with fresh eyes, new Christians astound me with their scriptural insights. Much like the remedy for Mistake #1, I need to remember God teaches me through many people, and he can definitely use a new Christian to reinvigorate my faith.

Mistake #4: Believing I’ve arrived spiritually. I sometimes zone out for the reading of familiar Scripture during my pastor’s sermon, thinking, Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard this one before. I became aware of this when I asked my church’s youth group to recite John 3:16 together. The teens rolled their eyes and practically yawned out the words. I wonder if I sometimes wear that bored facial expression in church. My poor pastor!

I’d previously pretty much dismissed a lot of my own unfortunate behavior. I wonder how many people have noticed my bad attitudes, bad facial expressions, and maybe even bad actions, and said, “That’s how Christians behave? I don’t want to be like them.” I’m actually grateful to have read about the latest antics of the Phelps family; their bad behavior helped me recognize behavior I need to change. “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” (Psalm 139:23–24).

The next time I read a story or hear a conversation about “those Christian jerks,” I’ll try not to smugly nod in agreement. Instead, I’ll listen carefully. After all, they just might be talking about me.

Blessings,
Holly Vicente Robaina"

http://blog.todayschristianwoman.com/walkwithme/2008/02/christians_behaving_badly.html
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 2:16:13 PM
Ojnab.
All I know is that there are Christians, people on-fire for Jesus with the Holy Spirit in their lives (the born againers)
...and 'christians' who merely relate to Christianity because they live in 'christian' countries but lack that personal relationship with The Lord.

As for the Mr.Bushs and the Mr.Blairs...only The Lord knows where their at in their relationship with Him.

The West was attacked Sept 11, 2001 and something got done about it.

Wherever it manifests, evil still has to be tackled by good men.

If leaders dont pray about events/troubles and dont get a clear Answer from God as to direction; and go ahead and make their own decisions sometimes the decision is not the wisest that gets made.

In retro...did the USA make the best decision in going into Iraq? Maybe yes and maybe no.

Sadam had to be displaced though a huge toll in lives was paid.
We have to let God Judge those who sent in the troops.

Committed christians are mostly gentle but as my wife says, we are not a doormat for the evil of the world to trample their wicked feet on.

Islam would have the world incorporated into Islam.
Thats the great unwavering plan.
Night and day, without failing, her great wheels quietly turn towards that end.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 2:25:43 PM
In this conceptual but intellectually barren invention of Irfan Yusuf of the UNIVERSAL EQUIVALENCE OF TERROR, i.e., Hindu, Muslim, and Christian terrorists, he attempts to hide the deadly terrorism of his own, of the fundamentalist Islamists who are waging a holy war against Western civilization of which he is its ungrateful beneficiary.

No civilized person who has even a modicum respect for the achievements of the West in almost all fields of life, should allow himself to be conned by this grand deception of this basically true believer of Islam clothed deceptively in moderate clothing.

http://kotzabasis4.wordpress.com
Posted by Themistocles, Wednesday, 3 December 2008 4:48:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PERICLES... well done :) you add to the melting pot of truth here.. by highlighting some important points!

POINT 1
"any un-Christian behaviour cannot, by definition, have been carried out by a Christian."

No Pericles..this is not right. ALL Christians manifest 'UN'Christlike behavior at times.. we are not 'He'.

I didn't say what you said. I said "Christian + Terrorist" is an oxymoron. Let me hasten to add "IN PRINCIPLE".

We find ourselves faced with a number of definition problems. Some people consider George Bush to be a)Christian b) Terrorist.

POINT 2 In Principle.. Islam permits terrorism. It even says so...specifically- and here it is:

Surah 8:12

Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil TERROR into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

Now..the standard "Pericles Defense" is..that these are 'obscure' verses :) sorry old son..nothing obscure at all.

The standard Islamist apologetic is "This is not true Muslims" ..

THE CHOICE IS YOURS.. "Believe" the Quran or believe the spin dished out by its supposed followers.

But wait..there's more.. I didn't even use Surah 9... amazing.

The Ultimate Spin.

"People who committed this heinous crime cannot be called Muslim. Islam does not permit this sort of barbaric crime."

COMMENT absolute, utter, unadulterated, RUBBISH!

PROOF "He (Mohammad)then ordered to cut their hands and feet (and it was done), and their eyes were branded with heated pieces of iron, They were put in 'Al-Harra' and when they asked for water, no water was given to them." Abu Qilaba said, "Those people committed theft and murder, became infidels after embracing Islam and fought against Allah and His Apostle ."Bukhari Volume 1, Book 4, Number 234:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/004.sbt.html#001.004.234
Posted by Polycarp, Thursday, 4 December 2008 7:22:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy