The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beware of the Obama hype: what 'change' in America really means > Comments

Beware of the Obama hype: what 'change' in America really means : Comments

By John Pilger, published 17/11/2008

Obama’s first two crucial appointments represent a denial of the wishes of his supporters on the principal issues on which they voted.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
But wait there's more ... assuming Person B has other assets like a hobby farm and a rental property. Property values are also falling in Australia soooo ... eventually by how much is anybody's guess... Person B, if he has loans would realise how precarious his position would be if interest rates started to rise, along with inflation while his asset values plunged or even remained stagnant for a long period ... say 10 to 25 years. He might have to sell, if he can, some of his investments to live.

I'd prefer to be the unwise gambling Person A than the safety-first land-locked provincial Person B and I'd still be able to have the Aussie tradional bet on a Melbourne Cup.
I'd have a very very careful look at what is happening in China today, especially since it's bubble burst soon after the Bejing Games. If they need to dump US$ to support their economy and especially their rising unemployed that would cause the US$ and Aus$ to fall... Hummmmm what to do?

Geee it seems unwise person B even has options.

I'd bet Person B would wager anything the Chinese would buy gold and silver ahead of shares in such a climate.

The bottomline in a devastating few months:

Person A 'who can't be bothered' trading has undertaken 1 trade and seen the value of their life's savings diminish.
Person B with three trades has increased their life-savings by more than 16% ... and because of many factors the increase is likely to be more of the full 12 months.

You know I've met among many others, Danes, Norsemen, English, Spaniards, Portuguese, French, Italians, Germans, Americans, Canadians, Pacific Islanders and New Zedders. Whenever I've related my experience of Ocean and Coastal passages I've been met with praise of my skills and seamanship, my courage, boldness and daring. In contrast, and you seem typical, many Australians with their fear dominated and spite filled comments, like yours, show they are most at home when in a field of poppies brandishing a pair of sissors.

Have a nice life Yabby.
Posted by keith, Monday, 1 December 2008 2:43:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*You've mismanaged your money.*

Thank you oh wise one :)

Let me see now;-

My original BHP shares owe me 7$, SGB $5.12, WBC 9$,
BWP 93c, Origin 3$, WPL 13$, the list goes on.
That is cost, all dividends are separate of course.

They all keep sending me cheques twice a year, usually
more then the year before. Now why should I be concerned?

Yes, I recently bought some more BHP and WBC. My prediction
is that they will do exactly the same and with the hindsight
of time, will equally prove to be wise investments.

But fool around with your currencies and gold bars, fool around
with your horses, if that gets your through the night :)

*Whenever I've related my experience of Ocean and Coastal passages I've been met with praise of my skills and seamanship, my courage, boldness and daring.*

Ah Keith, so you have a self esteem problem and need some praise!

You are so bold :)

Hehe
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 1 December 2008 3:04:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why don't either of you do this properly and write your own article?
Posted by bennie, Monday, 1 December 2008 3:30:19 PM
keith, you state: "I'm not going to go over ground we've already crossed, especially where you still refuse to accept detailled evidence and support for my positions. Refer to my article and refute it ... too difficult? Of course because you cannot refute fact."

Wait a minute... no. This is what I say to you. You don't get to say that to me, because I'm the one who has actually been providing articles complete with links and questions for you, and you're the one who consistently dodges the questions.

For example, can you point to where you responded to my five queries on where Obama has been backflipping or hiding his stance on abortions, as you insinuated?

Five times, keith. Point me to where you addressed this and I'll acknowledge it.
Yet, you still say this is ground we've gone over.

Except, in order for it to be ground we've gone over, it would need to be something you've addressed, just like you didn't actually address my points. Same deal for my quote that Obama's election victory is making it harder for Al-Qaeda to secure funding, and the same in relation to the failures of trickle down effect.

In fact, all you've done is drop names of various economic theorists, without acknowledging that they are merely the authors of competing theories. I'm well aware that you're advocating a purist form of capitalism, though again, I'd say such a definition is disputed.

But you're not actually discussing these issues. You're just dropping names in an effort to sound distinguished.

And, were you to pay more attention, you'd note that it wasn't actually me that mentioned "'laissez-faire capitalism" it was actually within a quote I put forward, from the lead economics writer at the New York post.

Of course, the contempt you display in your response evidently indicates that you feel that the top economics writer at one of the world's leading newspapers isn't worthy of discussing such competing theories (and crucially interpretations) with a random Australian blogger. Begging your forgiveness, o great and wise one.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 1 December 2008 8:06:00 PM
Bennie,

I already have.

Turn Right

I forgive you.

Yabby

There you go again.
'Ah Keith, so you have a self esteem problem and need some praise!'

Errrr ... no. You don't understand motivation. I share my life experiences with others and they theirs with me. It's the way we've grown and learned over the centuries. It's called communication. It's healthy.

Why doesn't it surprise me you could misunderstand such simplicty.

You know throughout this conversation you've recklessly thrown about abuse, created strawman arguments and denigrated personalities.

On each occassion it has been preceded by challenges to your opinions and stratagies.

Eventually it's led to you spilling your guts about what you own. Your shares and your profits. You've shared with us nothing about what activities you undertake or your life's experiences...even when encouraged.

Those behaviours says more about you than you'll ever imagine.

Oh just to prevent you from suggesting I mirror you, please show me once where I've said I own anything.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 4 December 2008 9:27:02 AM
Very well. I'll take that as an admission that you admit your claims that Obama attempted to hide his pro choice leanings, were erroneous.

Same goes in relation to the fact that Al-Qaeda's most displeased with Obama's election. I guess we can also add the fact that the middle class of America haven't seen the benefits of the recent American growth.

It's not your fault you can't address these keith, it's the fault of reality. Don't feel too bad about it.

P.S. Thanks for the forgiveness, though seeing as I'm rather unrepentant I don't think it's necessary.

Though, I'll give a little free advice - as an additional attempt to evade scrutiny however, it's really rather transparent as a cop out. Next time, I'd stick with your earlier efforts at changing the topic.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 4 December 2008 10:28:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy