The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > SBS more relevant than ever > Comments

SBS more relevant than ever : Comments

By Ien Ang and Gay Hawkins, published 17/11/2008

Too often SBS is dismissed as a niche broadcaster, relevant only for ethnics, eggheads and, more recently, revheads.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
No television network is ‘relevant’ if its programmes are not of interest to viewers. The authors TELL us that a programme about aborigines is not just for aborigines, it’s for “all Australians”. That might be their OPINION, it might even be some producers INTENTION; but viewers know better than producers, television proprietors and these two women what they want to watch. It would be interesting to have a cross section of aboriginal people surveyed to see if even they were the slightest bit interested.

Regular surveys make it clear what people want to watch on TV. And, what viewers want is obviously the rubbish on commercial networks. Even the ABC has had to pander to the indiscriminate viewers with increasingly silly programmes.

These two authors and other members of the ethic industry can prate all they like about ‘differences’ and multiculturalism; most people are just not interested. They don’t want to be indoctrinated by media: they want to be entertained.
Posted by Mr. Right, Monday, 17 November 2008 10:24:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The nightly TV ratings that are published for commercial stations to set their advertising rates are a thing of wonder. The survey is small, do you know anyone with a ratings box? ABC is excluded from the rating count.

We know that young people in their 20s are glued to Channel 10.
We know that old people and hospitals are glued to Channel 9.
We know that people watch Mel and Kochie in the morning on Channel 7.
Foxtel appears to be full of rubbish and Fox News is slightly biased.
Although MacDonalds at Genrowan was tuned to SBS last night.

Personally I will be saddened when free to air TV and radio has been dumbed down. I guess I will have to learn how to use my iPod.

Most of my friends found the programs The First Australians very thought provoking and RockWiz does seem to be a Saturday night staple. We practice our German and dream of a Viennese holiday watching Kommissar Rex.
Posted by billie, Monday, 17 November 2008 10:43:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Right.

Even so called "entertainment" is propaganda---all of it, even the most mundane. It ALL contains unexamined messages about the dynamics of the power relationships between the various characters, the wider culture altogether,other cultures and racial groups, and the natural non-human world too.

Neil Postmann summed it up in the title of one of his books. AMUSING OURSELVES TO DEATH.

Bread and circuses. Let them eat cake.

Also 1. http://www.dabase.org/disccomm.htm
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 17 November 2008 11:36:21 AM
Mr Right has a point. No point showing stuff no-one wants to watch. Australians would sooner watch Ghost Whisperer than stir some brain cells into action.

Some people prefer to use TV to learn occasionally and for this I agree with the author that SBS is as relevant today as ever. The mentioned program on Aboriginal history is unique, and having seen it I can assure any doubters it is a new and valuable account. This is only one program. Global Village is another that deserves wider recognition but goes against the grain of TV as infotainment.

On the other hand The Amazing Race provides no insight at all into the world about us other than how rich, emotive Americans cope without drive-thru Maccas for a week or two. Vicarious, shallow guff that treats the planet as a set. And it rates its socks off.

SBS helps provide some much needed perspective; it is the pinch of salt to complement the fairyfloss of commercial television. It remains one of few media organisations to look outwards and SBS deserves some recognition for this. If more people knew what took place beyond their visible horizon there would be fewer people thinking for example that “learning” equals “indoctrination”. Unfortunately combating anti-intellectualism is not part of anyone’s charter.

And besides, Janice Peterson is a honey!
Posted by bennie, Monday, 17 November 2008 11:46:11 AM
I for one would be sad to see SBS go. It at least provides some thought provoking content, unlike the banal commercial TV channels.

I don't watch a lot of TV other than a bit of footy and cricket, but the options in the evening are certainly very limited, and the flood of crappy and repetetive police dramas and dul sit-coms on the commercial channels doesn't offer much to get excited about. I'm not saying that people shouldn't watch them, after all it's a free country, but there are plenty of us who would rather watch something more interesting, or not watch anything at all.

SBS has crappy sit-comes too...but at least it is balanced with some interesting programs...Cutting Edge, Insight, any number of one-off programs, films etc.

I think TV in Australia would be much the poorer without SBS. And yes, I even like watching the occasional episode of Top Gear (UK version).
Posted by Phil Matimein, Monday, 17 November 2008 12:08:08 PM
Mr. Right,

Are you suggesting that high quality programs should not be shown because the majority of Australians won't watch them?

If so, that's a pretty thin argument. Thinking people looking to increase their knowledge and understanding should be prevented from seeing worthwhile programs because the majority don't want that sort of thing?

Next you'll be telling us that we should close libraries because most people would rather play video-games or watch DVDs these days?

I'm quite happy for people to have their minds stultified by commercial TV - that's their choice (and one day I'd hope they'd look at the best of SBS and ABC). Why take away my right to choose simply because it's not as popular?
Posted by Spikey, Monday, 17 November 2008 12:59:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy