The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The road monsters are coming > Comments

The road monsters are coming : Comments

By Alan Parker, published 17/9/2008

First we had B-Doubles, now we have B-Triples. For a city cyclist this is equivalent to a terrorist attack!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"Be careful out there"
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 10:36:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just returned from outback Queensland where triple road-trains reach 56 metres. Not a problem for careful drivers. Our future B-triples are pigmies and will only operate on highways and principal roads - which bicycles should avoid. The Geelong-Broadmeadows Ford unit does not seem to present any problems. Should not be a problem for careful cyclists.
Posted by Beef, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 12:27:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whilst I agree that B triples are not great in the city I have found from my experience that B doubles are far more dangerous on the open road mainly because they are capable of higher speeds (being lighter). Having passed many a triple on WA highways I have to say I was far more uncomfortable on the Pacific Highway in NSW with endless numbers of speeding B doubles. I know they are supposed to be speed limited, but this seems to be a nonsense as not one truck I encountered was driving at or under the speed limit. I also wittnessed many disgraceful acts of running red lights and truck overtaking truck on the few overtaking lanes. The triples in WA seem to be slower, possibly because of the extra weight. So for me, no to triples in urban areas, but lets do something about the doubles as well!
Posted by DiverDan, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 12:40:53 PM
Another whinge from a road user who pays nothing for the use and upkeep of those roads. That upkeep is paid for in large part from the taxes paid by registered road users, which of course, bicycles are not.

Bicycles are great- when used on cycleways.

I think the number of trucks on our roads is beyond a joke. What happened to the rail system? There is debate underway on just this topic in WA (and no doubt elsewhere) with the rail system being allowed to fall into disrepair (having been privatised). Wheat and other grains formerly shipped by rail will now go by road. Just what we need with the B-doubles and triples and oversized mining equipment already clogging the highways.
Posted by viking13, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 1:19:54 PM
We all pay for the roads, viking13, it comes out of our tax.
Posted by Sancho, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 2:13:18 PM
It costs 18000 $/ yr to reg my truck.
Posted by olly, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 2:35:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy