The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tale of two racists > Comments

A tale of two racists : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 11/9/2008

Racism is alive and well as one woman finds out when she grapples with two racists at a rugby match in New Zealand.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
And so, on and on, Hagan sees everything with one eye and continues to preach his white man bad, black man good drivel.
Posted by Mr. Right, Thursday, 11 September 2008 8:53:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This story sounds a little contrived to me, but if it happened as described then all good.

However I would like to pick Stephen up on something. He said "I guess in many ways my preference in team colours are shaped by the colour of the team. More specifically I tend to choose teams with the highest representation of Indigenous footballers".

Is this not racist? If I say I will only support teams with lots of white people am I not implying I like them more than black people?
People support teams for a variety of reasons, but usually because of where they live, not the colour of their skin.

gw
Posted by gw, Thursday, 11 September 2008 9:33:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Racism is ugly in any form and that would have been an awful experience for Christine.

I agree with gw's point about the criteria the author uses to choose which team to support. This is equally racist. Can you imagine if a white person stated I only support teams which are predominantly white. I think the reaction would be very different. But perhaps this comment was a bait and the author plans to tell us why he thinks this way.

There is a tendency sometimes for victimized or minority groups to be given a wider latitude or freedom in terms of using racist language. This might be due to an appreciation of some residual 'cultural' anger based on historical experience of racism. While this is understandable, racism and racist comments have the same impact no matter to whom the comments are targeted.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 11 September 2008 10:39:17 AM
No doubt if evolution was true then the racist described here have a point about monkeys. Of course when the rubber meets the road the stupidity of the failed theory is uncovered. Unfortunately having recently been to a football game I suspect that Stephen's story is probably true. Drunken men and women yell abuse at players and umpires and have no respect for anyone. If you are can easily be offended then it might be better to stay away from venues that allow this kind of thing to go on. Ever since I can remember football has been no different.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 11 September 2008 11:41:53 AM
I think some of the comments on this site miss the point, why should football games or any other event become "no go areas", are our sports so well supported that they don't want women, people from other than white backgrounds and children? As for picking teams to support, I personally support teams that break down racial barriers and looking at the history of AFL and other sports these have generally been clubs that embrace Indigenous players and their cultures. And no the article was not contrived I was there I am Christine's husband.
Posted by sponge bob, Thursday, 11 September 2008 5:40:19 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Sponge Bob.. I must admit I did not read it with any hint of doubt over what had happened, I have been to plenty of footy games and seen plenty of behaviour as bad.. or worse. I only wish that I had the courage to confront it in the same way she did. Alas, I suspect that, being male, boofheads like that would no sooner reply than throw a big hairy gorilla fist in my face and I am not one for the fighting arts... anyway, great work Christine for having the guts to stare the idiots down.

As for the other issue about preferring teams with indigenous players, it seems that applying a stereotype is OK, provided it is a positive one. Eg, saying black dudes = great athletes - acceptable. Saying black dudes = drug dealers, not acceptable. Double standard? Perhaps...

As a Swans fan, I must confess to a certain thrill and expectancy every time Mick O'Loughlin gets his hands on the footy, and I expect Adam Goodes to do something special too. There is certainly some sort of magic that blackfellas seem to be able to weave when they get their hands on the Sherrin and I don't think anyone who watches the game would say otherwise... they bring something special. Mind you, my team choice was made long before those 2 came along...
Posted by stickman, Thursday, 11 September 2008 6:03:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy