The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tale of two racists > Comments

A tale of two racists : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 11/9/2008

Racism is alive and well as one woman finds out when she grapples with two racists at a rugby match in New Zealand.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I baulked at Stevens criteria for picking teams as well, I tried to imagine the equivalent context when such a comment from a white person would be OK and could not. Then I tried to put it into perspective, is it so horrid when a feminist acknowledges firms which have women at the board level?

As a single dad I know I appreciate it when I see other single dads doing the hard yards. That does not mean that I don't appreciate single mums who work to support their kids but rather there is some shared appreciation for other men who have taken up the prime care role whilst it's still relatively uncommon for men to do so.

Whilst indiginous people in professional football are not rare football is one of the few areas where that seems to be the case. I can see why Steven might think like that and can sympathise as long as it's not taken to far.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 11 September 2008 6:37:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
sponge bob

You are totally blinded if you think it is only white males carrying on in this sort of manner. They may be the majority but I assure you their are many drunken coloured people who behave like idiots at sporting events. Some women (if you could call them that) have the vilest mouths when it comes to sports events. After a day at the cricket a few years ago I vowed not to take my kids there again due to the atrocious behaviour of many.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 11 September 2008 7:53:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poor old racists,
where would they be if they couldn't blame some decent people being racist. Really a sad lot eh?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 11 September 2008 8:19:07 PM
Runner! Please take my advice! don't breed. You religious people really show your stability to the world, and your all trying to recruit more people with your lies and fairy-tails. Well! Good luck my friend, cause you,ll need it.
Runner! Do you hear the sounds of water gurgling down the proverbial sink! lol.
Don't worry runner, evolution will save you. lol.

EVO
Posted by EVO, Thursday, 11 September 2008 9:19:39 PM
I'm afraid this story lost its impact as soon as I saw "our long unwavering public campaign to rid the E.S. “[can't print the word coz the software won't let me]” Brown Stand sign of its offending word". OK for the author to use in a film title not OK to commemorate a guy who used it as a nickname most of his life. The word wasn't even used much here, to my knowledge, and I've spent quite a bit of time in Aboriginal lands. Indeed, one were more likely to hear it from the mouth of an Aboriginal than a white person (incidentally, labelled the contemptuous "whitefella" by many Aboriginals). I'm afraid making a mere sign the subject of a long court case will only increase the notority of the word.

While the word has seriously negative connotations from its use in the American South, it's merely a corruption of "negro" (itself a word very much on the outer these days) which simply means "black".
Posted by viking13, Friday, 12 September 2008 12:14:43 AM
Who believes ‘sponge bob’ was present, or that he is ‘Christine’s' husband?

‘Sponge bob’ is probably really a sponge and Hagan’s ‘Christine’ appears to be modelled on a talking clock voice – so precise and unnatural was her language as quoted by Hagan.

I agree with ‘gw’ that the whole shebang sounds contrived. Even Hagan must be finding it very, very hard to find actual examples of racism these days. Even the relatively few real racists have lost interest in aboriginal Australians, with their constant complaining and traditional dissatisfaction with everything
Posted by Mr. Right, Friday, 12 September 2008 9:49:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy