The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Revisiting the 'Axis of Evil' - Part I > Comments

Revisiting the 'Axis of Evil' - Part I : Comments

By Dilip Hiro, published 11/8/2008

Given the catastrophic consequences of attacking Iran, the US may have to live with an Iranian nuclear program.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
I really do hope I gain the brains to understand too...

However, and I really do hate to quibble, your last response was somewhat disingenuous. What I was looking for was an explanation for the logically inconsistent portion of your hypothesis, that the causal issues of the current situation are (1) the involvement of the USA; & (2) the possession of tactical nukes by Israel. As I point out above, the logical inconsistency arises from the fact that the current situation differs only in minor detail from the situation in the period predating the existence of (1) & (2), so it is logically unlikely that these two issues are truly causative of the current situation (ie. it is far more likely that the causal issues now are the same as the causal issues from the beginning, it is incredible to suggest that the same problem could have existed prior to the existence of the supposed 'cause' thereof, but to have been caused thereby). If pointing out that your hypothesis, and the conclusion reached through it, is logically inconsistent is an argument that would not wash in Political Science, then I'd have to wonder at precisely how political science works.

As to France and Israel breaking a law, I have no idea of what you speak. Further information is necessary or the argument will continue at cross-purposes.

As to Israel's willingness to conduct 'pre-emptive' strikes against Iran, the simple fact is that someone has to act first. Once a legitimate casus belli is established, in this case it would be that Iran has directly and without cause sought to endanger the existence of the State of Israel, a pre-emptive strike is legal. Another option would be to take advantage of the very next Hizbollah rocket attack, knowing that Hizbollah is armed & trained by Iran, as an excuse to strike (then Israel would not be the aggressor).
Posted by Haganah Bet, Friday, 15 August 2008 6:20:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are the one mixed up, Haganah Bet, seeing that nearly every Israeli attack against a ME nation, as well as the US behind her has been breaking a well-founded historical law as far as our studies are concerned.

And please don't prattle on about Israel's right to defend, especially as it has been Israel's unlawful nuclear rocketry which has caused Iraq much earlier and Syria just recently to try to go nuky nuclear, anyway.

Certainly you and your Israeli friends will have the whole Middle East aflame before you are satisfied, much of it caused through a UN made gutless through America cuddling Israel.
Posted by bushbred, Friday, 15 August 2008 2:15:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apologies, Dilip, if I've upset your program.

Not that I disagree with your thesis, it was just that Haganah, Paul and Co, were getting too damned personal trying to Cut me Down.

Must say as one going on 88, they've got little chance, even if they try to get me for the things I said earlier about the lawbreaking dirty work the Israelis played on Mordecai for lawfully protesting over Israel illegally going Nuko.

Of course, the worst dirty work was that played by both the US and the UN, for both keeping dumb over it.

As a qualified historian, it is too late for me, but I only wish some of our academic younger ones will gain the guts to say something.

Regards - BB, Buntine - WA.
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 18 August 2008 4:21:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy