The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The art of oratory - Kevin Rudd's fine words > Comments

The art of oratory - Kevin Rudd's fine words : Comments

By Greg Lees, published 18/7/2008

Kevin Rudd loves the big stage and the grand gesture.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Kevin Rudd looks and sounds like a ventriloquist's dummy, controlled by his 28 year old advisers.
Posted by Mr. Right, Friday, 18 July 2008 9:35:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article. It's not only me who knows there is something terribly wrong with the Federal ALP. It's hard to put a finger on it. Like Kernot, Rudd seems unable to delegate responsibility. Greg, is right. The election Spring will soon be over and then we'll see Rudd's mettle.

Rudd is no Churchill. His oratory is average but on TV he is shocking - but getting better. By comparison he looks golden because the Libs are all over the place. Yet he knows the Libs will probably throw Turnbull in as leader 12 months out from the next election. And if fuel keeps going up and house prices fall, there will be some very angry voters out there for Malcolm to marshall.
Posted by Cheryl, Friday, 18 July 2008 12:23:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Some say that faith is the enemy of reason, I say they are wrong"
Our PM will find himself out on a limb if he really believes what he said. H.L. Menken's definition of faith comes to mind, "Faith may be defined as an illogical belief in the occurence of the improbable." Or Voltaire, "Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe." Reason and faith seem incompatible to me.
I hope we don't lose the abilities in government of Gillard, Tanner, Fitzgibbon, Wong and even Swan, who seems to have overcome his nervousness, because the public suddenly wake up to the lack of real abilities, other than to speak in English and Chinese, of Rudd. We need competence, not a talking head, leading the way especially we don't need a talking head talking nonsense.
Posted by Foyle, Friday, 18 July 2008 12:50:05 PM
...>packed Into_a_sound-bite
that caught my attention:..

.."Some say that_faith ....is the enemy_of_reason
I say they are wrong"

he Kevin_RuDD said
with such vigorous authority''..<.

He has developed the China syndrome
to a fine art

Great tag_team this rush to COMMUNISM
VIA govt_BAILout and subsidy to BIG_buisness

It's like state owned
CHINA buisnes?

You a party controller get all the bennefit
the state takes all the burdon

govt tag_team
has its good_guy? run on stage
to do bad things

HOWhard brings the wage_EARNER down to-earth

Shifting THE whole burdon upon the commie_workers]
killing unions
[who wernt really serving the people too_well anyhow]

[sorry BROTHER]

THEN brings in the latest big buisness
CASH trough,
sorry NEXT[neo]TAX
from the NEO{new]world_Order

a buisness_CONTROLED_GLOBAL_TAX

that's sets PRICES_4 a NEW_TAX

"IT"
shall be set by the MARKET forces!

who also can CLAIM egsemtions
as well as SUBSIDYsss?

assss well as controle
the new global carben STOCK market!

but mainly
set THE price of EACH carbon'CREDit'!

lest we have missed the trick

see the good guy blair in the WHITE hat
[with a black heart]

Who continued what the M.w :ThatcherPM did fix
like rudd promises to repair HOWhardsss

[ie Do-a-Blair]

IE:the same communist ideal

[That 1 percent own the 90>91>92>93>94>=95% percent]

and the 99 percent share the 10>[9]>8.7.6.5.=4percent
fighting over pennies
[sorry [cents]-senSe]

our wages prop up big buisness!

while big buisness STEALS us blind
simply by restricting the free?-market
with its Grants,subsidies, requets
and much other coorperate WELFARE

[b]WHILE we get yet ANOTHER tax![/b]

its not enough
to privatise ALL our PUBLIC_owned_ASSETS

giving them GOVT welfare ever more!

[to the momey changers!]
who sell govt its own money!
[see who owns the fed?]

And want us to subsidise
their stock market'ss
demise

They lent as much as they could on lies!

MANY now
of the fast_falling
middle class!

[joining the poor wage slaves]
at the bottum at a rate of 1 percent per_YEAR]]

VIA;happily accepting media_lies

and the neo [new]guy CON in the white hat
;''packed into a sound bite that caught my attention'':

worthy of philosophical debate?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 18 July 2008 4:41:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author, Cheryl and Foyle,
Yea and Amen.

" The utterance is everything, and there is no need to follow up the words with any action.

Along with conjugating Chinese verbs, I think Kevin Rudd has also picked this up: that the power and drama of rhetoric can be so sublime that all action crumbles in awe before it.

Kevin Rudd's mastery comes from using this technique to create political capital. By saying wonderful things to the right audience, they will love him for it, and then when the policy fails to deliver, they will forgive him, because they don't remember if there was any practical follow through beyond the day's fine words."

We are still waiting for any real action from this Mandarin speaking pseudo leader. If the libs get a new team of competent people together under Malcolm Turnbull they will do this mob like a dinner. It might well have been time to give John Howard the push, but we threw the baby out with the bath-water when we replaced them with Rudd ans company.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 18 July 2008 4:53:40 PM
There is a little bit of the American in Rudd's style. He has a tendency to gesture whenever a photo opportunity presents itself.

One annoying trait in particular; the wide arm opening when he does a 'talk and walk' as though he is about to hug someone. Then there is the look of intense concentration and pointing off into the distance to convey a look of care. Or at least that is what it seems - maybe I am getting too cynical in middle age.

Image is one thing but it is time to get on with doing - Howard was voted out because we were sick of the economic conservatives and the lack of attention to the environment - now we have the dubious carbon emmissions trading scheme rather than a real effort to put the environment before vested interests.

So far it appears we are in for more of the same (or similar). I for one am willing to give some more time, but so far many of the ALP's actions are a reflection of the 'mob before' (to use a common Ruddism).
Posted by pelican, Friday, 18 July 2008 6:46:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy