The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Polygamy and contemporary morals > Comments

Polygamy and contemporary morals : Comments

By Keysar Trad, published 27/6/2008

Why should the state proscribe formalised polygamous relationships but condone informal ones?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
In the UK: -
In the 1950’s 1 in 20 children were born outside of marriage.
In the 1970’s 1 in 10 children were born outside of marriage.
In 2008, 1 in 2 children are being born outside of marriage.

A recent survey also found that of the children born outside of marriage, 50% will lose a parent by the age of 5.

If they lose the other parent, then they are orphans or homeless. So much for the best interests of the child.

I know of no survey into whether polygamous relationships are more stable than feminist inspired relationships (where someone can flit from one relationship to another, but the woman always takes the man’s children and money), but if the trends continue, then nearly all children born in the UK will likely lose a parent by the age of 5.

Similar is happening in Australia.
Posted by HRS, Friday, 27 June 2008 9:58:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There has been no ‘debate’ on polygamy, and certainly no ‘hysteria’, which is a word much misused by people to brand others who don’t agree with them. Polygamy is illegal in Australia, and that’s that.

As for Australian Muslims knowing not to “…offer a faith-based solution for a social problem…” it is good to see that Muslims are getting to realise that state and religion are separated in Australia. Some Christians, on the other hand, still believe that their ‘faith’ is enough to prevent euthanasia and abortion, as we saw on OLO yesterday.

As an individual, I don’t care how many women a man wants to burden himself with, as long as there is no official recognition; but I do care when newly-arrived people, in this case large numbers of Muslims, decide that they can change the laws of the host country.

Referring to what happens, or what might happen, in the UK by Mr. Trad will not help change Australia. The UK is seen as an ever deepening sewer and place of danger and social discontent, thanks to its permissive attitude towards immigration and Muslims. To even hint at allowing any aspect of Sharia law into a Western country shows that Islam is beginning to achieve its plan of world domination.

Mr. Trad seeks to legitimise his argument by referring to the Bible. Here he needs to be reminded again that Australia is a secular country whose Government and laws are separated from any religion.

Mr.Trad say: “From my perspective as a Muslim, I really do not wish to rock the boat. I am happy not to talk about the issue and not to disturb the status quo, because my experience is that you would rather hear about this issue from a secular perspective and seeing my bearded face discussing it is likely to polarise your views.”

So why did he write this article?
Posted by Mr. Right, Friday, 27 June 2008 10:21:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<The Islamic teachings came at a time where polygamy was prevalent. The Koran brought the restriction down to four>>

This is the biggest lie of Muslims because Mohammad had more than four wives, a murderer of Jews and raped many females.

The claim is made by Muslims that they are concerned about chastity yet their "religion" promises them 72 virgins in paradise when they kill non-Muslims in the cause of Mohammad, or they can rape non-Muslim girls as booty. What a hypocrisy.

Polygamy in this modern age is filth. Anyone who habours such ambitions should convert to Islam and migrate to Malaysia, Saudi-Arabia or one of the many failed Islamic countries.
Posted by Philip Tang, Friday, 27 June 2008 10:21:51 AM
Women and children are far more likely to be a abused sexually, emotionally and physically outside of marriage. This did not stop our amoral social engineers from pushing for the recognition of de facto relationships as having the same legal status as marriage. Polygamy is no more immoral than fornication and adultery. They are all destructive for a society and unhealthy for kids. The abuse rates for kids without natural parents increase dramatically. Once we slip one more step down to legalizing same sex 'marriage' as perverted as it is we have completely lost any moral fortitude to stop polygamy. And who said there was not a price to pay for our own immorality and failure to protect children.
Posted by runner, Friday, 27 June 2008 10:29:35 AM
First of all if we are going to have this debate lets not pretend we are talking about polygamy. This debate is about polygyny. I don't think too many men of either Muslim or Christian faith would agree that their wife should take another husband.

Read Asne Seierstad's 'Bookseller of Kabul' to see how a first wife handled a much younger second wife - wouldn't say she was too keen on the idea but she had no rights to choose one way or the other.

The lifestyle of polygyny is only beneficial to one person; the husband.

If a man decides to have an affair or whether he takes another wife - it is all the same, just an affair sanctioned by law.

If one decides to choose a particular religious faith and is willing to make personal sacrifices to adhere to its moral codes why not just control one's amorous feelings and make an effort to keep a first marriage alive.

Polygamy - a genealogist's nightmare. :)
Posted by pelican, Friday, 27 June 2008 11:00:40 AM
1) The State should get out the marriage business altogether.

1a) Where the State does not get out of the marriage business, they should ensure that there is no legal discrimination between those free contracts established by adults of rational minds.

After all, if you wouldn't want somebody else's idea of marriage forced upon you, why do you want to force your idea on to others?
Posted by Lev, Friday, 27 June 2008 11:21:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy