The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Polygamy and contemporary morals > Comments

Polygamy and contemporary morals : Comments

By Keysar Trad, published 27/6/2008

Why should the state proscribe formalised polygamous relationships but condone informal ones?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Nice try Keysar;

1) Adultery is not illegal and if you can't contain your passion you can always stray with your wife's consent.

2) Children born our of wedlock face no stigma these days. Their rights are explicitly protected by article 25 of the universal declaration of human rights.

There are a couple lemmas that follow from your argument:

"a union of one man with more than one woman" are you sure you mean that? That implies that the wives are also married together. Or do you mean that a man can be in multiple unions with individual women at the same time.

"In practice many people support simultaneous amorous relationships with more than one partner." What if one of the wives fancies another bloke should he join the union too? Before we know it we'll all be married together.

"Some Muslim scholars estimate that only 1 per cent of men in Muslim societies make a legally recognised commitment to more than one wife. This suggests that the religious teachings reduce the incidence of plural relationships." Does it really? Could it be that the others are just adulterers? Or perhaps they can't afford a separate house for each wive? Or perhaps muslim women aren't the walkovers they are made out to be.

I think you should rethink your arguments before you try again.
Posted by gusi, Friday, 27 June 2008 3:25:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You disgust me Keyser.Why OLO gives you oxygen,is beyond me.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 27 June 2008 8:55:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Trad,before you Muslims came to Australia you would have known that we live in a secular democracy where men and women have equal rights.Regardless of what you may feel about your Koran as the source of all your wonderful laws the laws of this country are made by the elected rfepresentatives of this country. We wiil never entertain any laws that are based on your religious laws.Why should you expect us to? Just because you all have decided to descend on the secular democracies of this world you want us to accept your laws for your governance.By now those Muslims who have lived long enough in our secular democracies and find our laws intolerable why dont you all go back to where you came from instead of expecting us to let your laws become part of our legal fabric. What is there so wrong in us wanting to preserve what is our? You have every right to want to preserve your laws and to submit to them because they come from Allah and they are so beautiful and reasonable for you lot.That's fine. Yes.You have every right...but not in our homelands.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Saturday, 28 June 2008 1:11:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Did anyone notice the media photo of Kaiser Trad and his current/existing wife, taken presumably on the porch of their home.

Ms. Trad is in all her trussed up finery with both hands in scrunched up tight fists, as though she is about to job someone.She looks totally pissed off .... well after 9 kids and living with him it would be understandable

But then one should go easy on Trad, after all he is only doing what the Koran and the well documented deviant behaviour of their prescious prophet requires them to do.

What was that about consummating a marriage to a 9 year old and having many wives as well as all the conquests stemming from his constant warmongering across the deserts, raping and pillaging.

All now enscapulated in sharia law, which they say we should be adopting as part of modern law. Sicko stuff.
Posted by bigmal, Saturday, 28 June 2008 10:22:18 AM
Well, if we're going to play the holier-than-thou game, I guess I'd rate adultery as a far worse moral offense and a far greater personal betrayal than polygamy.

Polygamy and polyandry (for that matter) require openness, honesty and a commitment to look after the wellbeing of all the spouses. Everybody knows where they stand. It's public, it's declared, it's transparent. I knew a fellow in Indonesia who had three wives. He was the most hen-pecked man I ever met. He looked after all his wives and children and worked round the clock to do it. I wouldn't be him for quids.

Whereas adultery is a cheap, dishonest and degrading business for all concerned. Two people cheating on a third who is duped and dishonoured by lies and concealment and who deserves better.

Adultery is very prevalent in our society, and quite widely tolerated, even admired with a wry grin, a sly wink and a nod at those who can get away with it. Whereas polygamy is reviled as barbaric and backwards.

Go figure.
Posted by Mercurius, Saturday, 28 June 2008 10:28:05 AM
*Polygamy in this modern age is filth. *

It is? I would be more concerned with two of them nagging, that
would be beyond me :)

Hey, today, if somebody wants a bit of hanky panky, its easily
available, no need to get married.

I am against it as next thing those on social welfare payments will
want extra payment for the extra wife and kids.

If a bloke can afford to pay for two females, he might as well just
have a mistress. Not make taxpayers cough up for his love life.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 28 June 2008 1:41:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All