The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The real reason behind high oil prices > Comments

The real reason behind high oil prices : Comments

By William Engdahl, published 30/5/2008

The price of oil climbs relentlessly higher. Why? Because of deliberate US government policies that permit unbridled oil price manipulations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
Dalma — I asked you some honest questions. After protesting about being bullied, you try to bully me?

The answers to all the questions I asked — and more — are in an excellent 12 minute video you can download below.

It's full of condensed information for policy-makers, it's free, and for all you peak-oilers out there, even though it's only 55 megabytes it seems to burn to DVD really well and screens quite clearly on my TV! (Even though it's only 55 megabytes! How did they do that!?) It might even burn to CD well!

Quicktime
http://media.globalpublicmedia.com/RM/2008/06/PeakOilPolicymakers.mov

Realplayer
http://media.globalpublicmedia.com/RM/2008/06/PeakOilPolicymakers.rm
Posted by Eclipse Now, Friday, 20 June 2008 10:07:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm appalled.
Answer me this:
Q1. Is it likely to enlighten or enhance debate ?
Q2. Is this an Oz version of the Inquisition ?
Q3. Are you a luddite Emcee quiz master or just arrogant sexist misogynist ?
Q4. Do you interrogate other contestants ?
Q5. What's it worth ?

N/B I am not an employee of the Oil cartel. Oil production figures are denied even to Aust's govt premier Agencies. The ACCC ( actionless committee of couch conspirators )e.g toothless lemmings..oops tigers. Whether by intent or diabolical manipulation not even I can attest to the varacity of Australian Institute of Petroleum.

US Republican John McCain postulant to the Oval Office as recently as this week urged the Government to release proven deposits of Oil - in the Artic Wildlife refuge, Florida Everglades, and Californian western seaboard. Conservative estimates 21 billion barrels - to alleviate fuel hikes of $ 7.00 at the bowser. Previously $ 3.50 a gallon. Ordinary Americans, like their Aust counterparts are upset ( among other things) over food, petrol, inflation, consumer confidence, defaulting mortgages. Interesting enough, he never mentioned Dick Chaney's Haliburton's underground stockpiles or GWB's generous subsidies to wheat/rice producers to switch to corn to satisy the ethanol and bio-diesel lobby ?

California Governor ( anabolic-steroids Terminator ) Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) another hopeful to the Presidency, vowed capping development of known deposits of Oil on the west coast Continental shelf. Enviornmental degradation, electoral and consumer backlash implicitly decided that.Hollywood's A list, and wealthy residents in Long Beach and Malibu strenuously objected to Oil platforms ruining the majestic skyline, and rightly so.

With an 80 % self sufficiency of crude, gas, oil shale and hybrids until 2050 ( according to Geoscience Aust ) The report " Oil and Gas Resources 2005 " sponsered by Dept Industry Tourism & Resources is the blueprint for future " Peak Oil " advocates. It provides graphs, charts and detailed study validated by University Academia experts and the Oil and Gas Industry.

New discoveries : 15 Onshore and 31 Offshore wild cat wells. Deep water exploration drilling

cont..
Posted by dalma, Saturday, 21 June 2008 9:19:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
drilling (>800m) NW shelf,Bight, Sorell, Gippsland, Duntroon and Otway Basin etc
Ever since the Govt granted the Petrol search subsidy 1957, US, Canadian, Dutch and British consortiums have been in the forefront of systematic undersea exploration. Surprisingly, oil and gas reserves tend to increase over the life of a field. This phenomena is known as ' reserve growth '. A common cause of uncertainty in accurate predictions and forcasting !!

The remainder 20 % from Singapore and elsewhere is the ICING on the cake !

The vast " Sunrise deposits " in the Timor Sea. JPDA ( Joint Pacific Development Area ) is still on the drawing board. Then there's Shale Oil, coal bed methane gas in Gladstone, McKay, Newcastle, Yallorn
etc. The Stuart Basin is still in mothballs.

There is NO cause for panic, much less alarm. By the time the last drop becomes apparent Scientist would have long developed the Hydrogen cell. Sophisticated powered long-life batteries ( NASA) and other compact innovations.

Fossil fuels, internal combustion engines etc will be relegated to the scap heap and become museum relics. Perhaps even the 'scourge' automobile ?

Repeat the mantra : " Peak Oil is a giant hoax, myth and furphy "

Ciao
Posted by dalma, Saturday, 21 June 2008 9:40:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, good luck with that mantra of yours dalma :)

For anyone who wants real information about oil fundamentals there's plenty available on the net. "The end of the petroleum age" on http://www.abc.net.au/7.30 is a pretty good place to start.
Posted by commuter, Saturday, 21 June 2008 9:59:03 AM
Why Dalma, you charmer you, I didn't know you had it in you. Avoided the facts nicely there — no one noticed you sidestepping reality with a character assassination at all. No really, they didn't. We were all taken in by your charm. ;-)

(Blows raspberry).

When you attempt to answer the 4 most important questions of our age, I'll take you a little more seriously and be ready to engage you in an adult conversation. Until then, please grow up. In fact, if you behave like that again I'll simply 'spank' you by reporting it to a moderator. OLO isn't about character attacks but actual arguments and data. You'd fail high school debating with the petty rant above. But I repeat, if you grow up and are ready to discuss the actual production data — which is what this thread is actually about — I'll be here to hold your hand as we stare at the end of the oil age together. ;-)
Posted by Eclipse Now, Saturday, 21 June 2008 10:38:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy