The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Your money or your health? > Comments

Your money or your health? : Comments

By Helen Lobato, published 30/5/2008

What is so good about organic milk as opposed to conventional milk? And why is raw milk illegal?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Rojo

Dogs love chocolate too which can kill them. Please let me know if you are able to find a vet worldwide who recommends feeding cows' milk to a cat or a dog. Cows' milk is notorious for causing diarrhoea in cats.

Dairy products (especially milk, fermented cheeses and yoghurt) should not be fed to dogs as most dogs are lactose intolerant and their levels of lactase (responsible for the digestion of milk sugar) decreases with age.

"The International Osteoporosis Foundation doesn't present a negative link between milk and osteoporosis(that seems to be a conclusion drawn by peta,viva or similar groups and spread amongst themselves and gullible followers)."

Rojo. I have not obtained my information from “Peta, Viva or similar groups” and like Yabby, you should refrain from describing those who oppose your views as “gullible”:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/08/050805064340.htm

http://www.upc-online.org/health/121603milk.htm

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

“By the way it was the biological plant's waste that was class 4 landfill, not the human faeces component (from your link)."

Rojo. Again you distort the facts. Trucks often brought mixed loads, which resulted in cross-contamination of waste streams. Simply put human faeces was mixed with industrial hazardous waste. This plant was "regulated" by the Department of Environment.

I am privy to FOIs obtained on the operations of Brookdale. Are you?

The “biological” sludge (human faeces) was deemed suitable only for a Class 4 landfill. In my opinion it should have gone to a Class 5 landfill. Instead, it was given free to farmers and the public. It was also sold as soil conditioner. The overwhelming evidence reveals that the “treatment” was shabby indeed, if in fact it was treated at all. Class 5 is the most hazardous and I would suggest that the sludge in question was suitable only for that grade.

And while I realise that human sewage is a problem and does need to be recycled in a safe manner, I, unlike you, are not so “gullible” as to believe that government regulators and operators of the intensive production of dairy cattle, are yet operating with any altruistic motives.

I would again advise: "Buyers beware."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19394839&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=220548&rfi=6

http://www.prwatch.org/taxonomy/term/106/9
Posted by dickie, Thursday, 5 June 2008 12:03:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*I, unlike you, are not so “gullible” as to believe that government regulators and operators of the intensive production of dairy cattle, are yet operating with any altruistic motives.*

Ah those evil operators of dairy cattle! Thats ok Dickie, you
just keep buying those yummy organic veggies grown with human
sludge and pay extra for them, as you should. Farmers deserve
to make a quid too. On the question of how gullible you are,
well umm, as long as you believe in how you spend your money,
I am sure that some farmer out there will take it from you :)

Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 5 June 2008 12:17:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rojo, Wednesday, 4 June 2008 12:08:35 AM

One swallow does not make a summer and that single study has raised more questions, not answers.

Now what about the number of Aboriginal children that suffer from deadly diseases like dysentery or food poisoning, which basic hygiene could eradicate?

Pasteurized milk is heated to destroy harmful organisms and anyone who feeds it to infants or at risk adults is asking for trouble. If you want to have raw milk then go ahead but don't expect the remainder of the population to subsidise it for you.
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 5 June 2008 4:09:26 AM
Yabby the article I linked to was just one example of farmers (people like you) using treated slugde (no pathogens) as fertilizer to improve soil conditioning. It has worked.

I have visited a plant where human manure is treated by separating the solids and then burning them off in a furnace to kill any remaining pathogens. The ash that is left has been used quite successfully.

The only trepidation I have with sludge is that there may be other contaminants in it such as heavy metals which could easily get into the sewage system.

Anyway, most organic farmers do not use this sludge so you can rest easy. I have also visited a nut grove, an apple orchard and a market garden where organic methods are applied with great success.

The difficulty with organics as you rightly say, is with the larger scale concerns and the cost involved to convert. Once an organic system is established it is not as difficult as you infer to continue with these practices but naturally it is a case by case basis depending on climate, soil type, access to water etal.

Research on large scale organic farming was being researched from the 'soil health' perspective end at the CSIRO until funding was cut for organic research in favour of GMO etc. Farmers raised concerns about declining soil fertility and declining organic carbon.
I believe this is short sighted.

Sometimes I don't believe the prejudice against organic farming especially a comment made by another poster on a different thread knocking organics such as 'free range eggs' as some sort of hippie left wing nonsense. Don't people realise that free range eggs is how eggs are produced in the wild and how they were produced until man decided to put them in cages to live out their lives in appalling misery. Now suddenly natural is considered voodoo and has been politicised for some reason I cannot quite fathom.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 5 June 2008 10:16:24 AM
*Anyway, most organic farmers do not use this sludge so you can rest easy*

Pelican, I can rest easy anhyhow, its Dickie who has her knickers in
a twist about sludge. Dickie also claims that I hate organic
farming, which is rubbish.

My point all along is that both organic and normal farming have
their roles, as long as they are done in a wise manner. I've
seen so called biodynamic farms go from bad to worse, year after year,
as their owners made yet another excuse as to why things were not
working as they thought they would. I've also seen some of the
no till farms, where chemicals are used, with paddocks full of
earthworms.

So my point is, its not all black and white, one system having
all the answers and the other being evil. Good farming practise
is what its all about, which means an understanding of soil, plant
nutrition, etc.

I agree with you about free range chooks.

Where the voodoo comes in, is when people approach all this
with emotional, religious kind of fanaticism, claiming that you
will die if you don't listen to their preachings. People get
sick of it and simply don't believe them. Fair enough.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 5 June 2008 10:55:25 AM
Rojo

"I think you make a good observation about the increasing levels of allergies. It could be because of how 'clean' we keep our children and their environment- anti-bacterial wipes, household germ killers etc."

I think there's something in this theory. I think it's also quite possibly related to the way our immune systems are being increasingly compromised through the accumulative effects of chemicals, heavy metals, immunization, radiation, fluoride and all the other largely inescapable hazards of modern western living.

Pelican

Love your take on organic farming and agree with every word.
Posted by Bronwyn, Thursday, 5 June 2008 2:20:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy