The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Your money or your health? > Comments

Your money or your health? : Comments

By Helen Lobato, published 30/5/2008

What is so good about organic milk as opposed to conventional milk? And why is raw milk illegal?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
For those interested in sourcing real raw milk locally to you, subscribe to herdshare.com

http://herdshare.com

Buy a cow (or part thereof) and pick up your dairy products at your local farmers markets, fresh out of YOUR cow. Talk about food security.

We are working towards creating a certification for raw milk with RealMilkAustralia.com. So all raw milk provided either through retail suppliers or via herdshares comes from cows farmed in a way that makes it the most healthy and therefore safest possible milk.
Posted by The Nourisher, Friday, 30 May 2008 10:42:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In addition to the reasons listed I understand that the pasteurization of milk was also part of the plan to eradicate TB. As such it played a successful part in this as, because of the method of keeping cows, that is, in large herds, questionable cleanliness, etc, the spread of this disease was rife and transmitted to babies and children quite readily. Along with vaccination and farmers now mostly keeping clean dairies, we have mostly eradicated this. But without question milk straight from the cow would be best. I would like to have a cow with calf in my large property but am mindful of many other factors. However there are several dairies near me that are, through deregulation and large imports of dairy products, in the process of closing down. I can't help thinking what a shame this is - we are losing too many of our agricultrural industries and the world has only now recognised, it seems, that in the not too distant future, the world, including Australia, will be food-stressed.
Posted by arcticdog, Friday, 30 May 2008 1:14:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, Helen, for your timely and informative article.

I've been buying organic milk for the family for several years and find now that if I go to get it from a supermarket in the latter part of the day it's frequently sold out, so I've been assuming for a while that it's popularity is growing.

I myself have a dairy intolerance so was interested to read about the digestive enzymes being destroyed in the pasteurisation process. I will definitely give the raw milk a try and see if I can tolerate that. I have have been advised to before and did consider it, but must admit I've been conditioned to believe it was risky. I appreciated reading the history behind that mindset and why the risk today shouldn't be an issue.
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 30 May 2008 1:53:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think more testing needs to be done. There's a wealth of literature that shows that raw milk is NOT SAFE.

It can transmit a number of diseases including polio, tuberculosis, scarlet fever and some suspect that prion diseases (such as mad cow) can be transmitted this way also!

Not enough research has been done to show the safety of raw milk or organic products in general and so I think they should not allow the sale of these products until they are PROVEN TO BE SAFE!
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 30 May 2008 2:24:17 PM
Bugsy, I respect your point of view. How about providing some evidence yourself concerning the proven risks of drinking raw milk?

By the way, what are the safety risks of organic food? Again, some firm evidence would be good. I know I'd prefer to take my chances on wholesome organically grown food than I would on food grown in lifeless soils full of synthetic fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides and which is then sprayed, snap-frozen, transported huge distances, irradiated and whatever else is done to it before we eat it.

It might look good and some of it might even taste good but the nutritional content in most of it is inferior to that grown organically. To gain the goodness you did in a 1950s apple, you now need to eat three from today's supermarkets
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 30 May 2008 3:17:37 PM
Thank you Helen for a long overdue article on the problems with milk.
You only have to taste real milk fresh from the animal a few times, and you dont ever want to go back to the rather tasteless product on the supermarket shelf. Nearly all foods are much more nutritious when eaten very fresh and as close to their raw, unprocessed state as possible for that food.
The problems that led to widespread pasteurisation are now under control by other means. There is little TB in Australia and milk is not a major way of the disease being spread. Herds are regularly tested nowadays, for brucellosis, mastitis etc.
Perhaps if a major epidemic of TB broke out in Australia the public could be alerted to boil their milk before using for the period of the epidemic.
I dont drink much milk (as my Dad used to say it is a food for baby cows) but when I do I certainly prefer organic, and my wife regularly obtains "raw" milk as she is a keen milk eater (not drinker).
Posted by Ironer, Friday, 30 May 2008 4:21:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy