The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Has the White Wedding had its day? > Comments

Has the White Wedding had its day? : Comments

By Louisa Davin, published 1/5/2008

'You'll regret it if you don't wear white.' Weddings aren’t really about the people getting married as much as what they mean to the people around them.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
You wear what you want Louisa. I did (blue) and don't regret it one iota. There's no reason to wear white just because everybody else does.
Posted by Cazza, Thursday, 1 May 2008 10:40:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The whole thing is ritualistic nonsense;-including getting married!

If you MUST do that, then fine;-elope. You have then plighted your troth without the rigmarole.

............I guess we like our rituals though? If you want the church dirge/tucker/high-rise cake, be prepared to make your stand!

Old habits die VERY hard!
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 1 May 2008 11:18:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Louisa,
I got married last October in a bright red and my "bridesmaids" wore black. But then I am a tad older than you and who was going to quibble with me? Certainly not my Mum, although I think I detected a slight angst in her tone as she suggested a "nice pastel" perhaps? :)
Susan P - editor
PS I figured it was my chance to fnally be a "scarlet woman"!
PPS I eloped the first time round - this time it was much more fun ...
Posted by SusanP, Thursday, 1 May 2008 1:43:39 PM
I got married over 40 years ago and the only compensation we gave to our parents was to have the ceremony in a church. We certainly weren't going to go to the ridiculous expense of getting an expensive white dress made that would only be worn once for a few hours. The church thing was also a waste of time and money with flowers and stuff, but protocol forced our hand in that matter...........never had any regrets over the dress though.
Posted by snake, Thursday, 1 May 2008 1:57:51 PM
Yes wear what you like. It is your wedding and the most important is a happy bride.

Traditions are hard to break but we need some ground-breakers to help those younger generations coming along behind. :D
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 1 May 2008 2:51:02 PM
I think the decision on what colour you wear depends on why you have the ceremony.

Personally I don't see why your commitment to each other is any more valid when it is stated in front of some patriarch of our society than if it is if expressed in private.

If you take the view that a wedding is a kind of 'graduation ceremony' for your parents then you should just go along with your parents expectations.

Enjoy the day and don't get too stress out by all the details.
Posted by gusi, Thursday, 1 May 2008 6:40:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy