The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The coming culture wars > Comments

The coming culture wars : Comments

By Geoff Robinson, published 26/2/2008

John Howard’s critics are entitled to celebrate his defeat but his style of conservatism resulted in substantial political achievements.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I quite liked Robinson's analysis of Howard's 'paleconservatism', but he loses it when he fantasises about the future. For example:

"Maintenance of high levels of population growth in Australia will require historically high levels of immigration"

This is the premise for the scare-mongering that follows, but since when is it a given that Australia needs "high levels of population growth"? Under the kinds of scenarios being suggested by e.g. Ross Garnaut, I think that overpopulation will increasingly be seen to be the real villain that its is in terms of climate change, resource and energy depletion etc.

However, I think that Robinson is probably unfortunately correct when he suggests that "faith, race and nation" are likely to remain central to the bleatings of 'paleoconservatives' who struggle to reorganise since the overdue demise of Howard's political ascendancy.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 26 February 2008 9:11:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Geoff Robinson confused and bemused me.

On the one hand, he implies credit when he claims, "John Howard changed right of centre politics in Australia." On the other hand, he also claims, "During the Howard years the free-market right fragmented". Where does that leave the so-called right?

Robinson also flattered Howard with damp praise. He tells us that, "...the style of conservatism that he represented has substantial political achievements to its credit and it will retain substantial appeal to right of centre voters." What precisely were those 'substantial political achievements'?

Are these 'substantial achievements' those alluded to by Robinson, namely:

- popular acceptance of inevitable human inequality
- the bolstering of a sense of national identity that placed whiteness, Christianity and British ancestry at the centre and
- the encouragement of virtues of individual enterprise and aspiration?

Or are Howards 'substantial achievements' the winning of 'key policy battles' also listed by Robinson:
- the roll-back of native title
- the defeat of the republic referendum
- the draconian legislation against asylum-seekers
- reform of family law and
- the ban on African refugees?

Doesn't sound much to crow about after 11 years. Surely the Howard years brought something more substantial than that? Or was winning and holding power all that he achieved?
Posted by FrankGol, Tuesday, 26 February 2008 9:51:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Population predictions below:
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/ABS@.nsf/0/1647509ef7e25faaca2568a900154b63?OpenDocument

Peak oil and climate change might curb some of the more foolhardy notions of population growth from the conservative Right. Scientists have argued that Australia hit optimal population at around 17M but there are those that have dangerously argued for levels of up around 30M. (Although some, like Tim Flannery have argued for less than 17M)

Links which looks at this issue more deeply:
http://www.population.org.au/http://www.amonline.net.au/biodiversity/happening/population.htm

It is interesting to note some of the hypocracies of the conservative Right in that the most extremist adhere to the idea of a patriarchal family as outlined in the article, yet nothing much has been done to assist those who might choose to stay at home to raise families in an effort to push more and more people into the workforce in the interests of economic growth.

You can't have it both ways ie. pushing the idea of family but making it increasing harder for parents to choose to raise their children in their own home if they want to. Income splitting would allow more choice particularly for low-medium incomes but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 26 February 2008 10:05:06 AM
The paleoconservative right will continue to rally around the same issues they always have, the human and cultural consequences of globalisation - the human companion of an economic climate which provided the lifestyles they so treasure.

What Howard gave them was a powerful messiah figure who embodied their beliefs. Without him or someone like him they're adrift until someone similar comes along. Meanwhile they're gathering in smaller clusters around Fred Nile and Andrew Bolt.
Posted by chainsmoker, Tuesday, 26 February 2008 10:20:34 AM
When I saw the name Geoffrey Robinson, I thought of Geoffrey Robertson.His book "The Justice Game" should be read by everybody.He relates what has happenned not make predictions about what might happen.It is experience that forms opinion.I HAVE CHANGED MY OPINIONS, in a long life, but the return of a JOHN HOWARD type leader in Australia, scares me more than the threat of terrorism.Thank God that the normal voter doesn't look further than the hope that our society gives us all a fair go and freedom and equality to live lives in peace.Academia may cogitate on the future, but I for one will only end up at the University as a CADAVER.The whole population of Australia won't be here in 110 years.FAITH, RACE and NATION are giving way already to Science,Multi-ethnic,and Sport-and that's not all that bad!
Posted by TINMAN, Tuesday, 26 February 2008 1:52:13 PM
The only wars I can see, are the wars for oil, the wars against the poor nations, the wars against the migrants and labors. The so called cultural wars are only wars in the dark minds of right extremists and from corporations which benefit from them. Christians, Muslims and the rest people on our planet will not drop into the trap of right extremists and they will continue to improve their relations and cooperation for mutual benefits
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Tuesday, 26 February 2008 2:04:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy