The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 220 years of saving the children > Comments

220 years of saving the children : Comments

By John Tomlinson, published 20/2/2008

Book review: 'Coercive reconciliation' is an outstanding book which deserves to be read by anyone who has an interest in non-Indigenous-Aboriginal relations.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
'Cargo, Patronage Systems and Denial' - perhaps that should be the title of the second edition, if there is ever one.
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 8:47:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Tomlinson: "So, though you might never, never go, if you really want to know, then cough-up your $27.50 - this book is worth owning."

On the basis of this review, I think I will. Thanks John.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 9:00:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“… it is a plea for far more assistance to be provided in the form of improved health, community and police services, decent jobs, better housing and revitalised economic development.”

This is no alternative to direct intervention in the affairs of people who have proved over the last 220 years that they are incapable of solving their problems in isolation. Providing modern services where it is not practical to do so; jobs where there are no jobs and no need for jobs, is just asking for the same situation to continue, enabling nasty events in isolated communities to continue unseen.

Tomlinson might feel smart, sneering at the “real economy”, but people living in isolated blacks’ camps are outside not only the real economy; they are also outside reality.
Wild life rangers? A lot of job opportunities there! And there isn’t much evidence of health care amongst the disease, addictions and squalor.

Tough love is a clique. But it is appropriate for aboriginal Australians. Forget the last 220 years. Show them (all of them, not just a few) what to do, and let them get on with it just like the rest of us. It’s not going to happen in isolated tracts of the country.

This book is worth owing, Mr. Tomlison? From your description it’s not worth the paper it is written on. The same old same old same old, harping on the past and advocating same failed prescriptions
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 10:41:55 AM
It is not a surprise that it is all Howard's fault.
The communities in Queensland, Western Australia are such perfect places and should be emulated by the Federal Government in their efforts in the Northern Territory.
It seems that this collection of articles is an explanation of how it was not the fault of those responsible for the continuing failure to look after the indigenous communities.
The Indigenous Leadership group have had decades to improve the lot of those they have been responsible for, ever since the establishment of ATSIC back in the 80's.
They should hang their collective heads in shame at their failure to protect their young and defenseless.
Posted by Little Brother, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 12:51:17 PM
Leigh a typical moronic view from your usual stable of drivel, where would you want them to go next door to you maybe?

Millions of dollars a year of mining and other resources are stolen from these communities each year without any compensation from the government and from the states. So if both the mining companies and the Federal governmants were to comply with the international law on mining Indigenous land as they do elswhere on the planet. We might finally see a difference in those people's lives and they could be living like kings and we poor stiffs in the city would be looking for a hand out from them instead of the current situation.
Posted by Yindin, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 1:29:49 PM
Yindin,
Perhaps you should read Leigh's post again, he makes some reasonable comments.

I will read this book. I won't buy it but get it through my library. I am not impressed with some of those that had input into it. I hope it proposaes some practical and realistic alternatives to intervention. I know human nature and many will not want to give up the grog, gambling and other things they waste money on. If anything is to work, there has to be a change in present aboriginal culture.
I am mainly interested in the kids as the adults should be able to work it out for themselves.

It will be interesting to see the reports that come out from where intervention has taken place. I expect to see a dramitic improvement in the kids health, their schooling and nutrition. Its the kids we have to be concerned about.

When I saw all those former PMs siting up there when the sorry speech was made, I thought you bl###y hypocritics! You introduced 'sit down money' and let the whole situation get worse as time went on.

You notice they did not say sorry for their lack of action.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 7:30:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy