The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sell ABC TV! > Comments

Sell ABC TV! : Comments

By Ken Lovell, published 24/1/2008

The ABC has become a pointless exercise in self-indulgence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Wizofaus

I agree with the points you made in your first post – altogether too much British material on the ABC and a reprehensibly low budget that precludes reaching its full potential in producing decent Australian content or investigative journalism (as another commenter mentioned).

Much and all as I admire the quality of British drama, I am heartily sick and tired of its obsession with kings, queens, Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare, the Blitz and murders in the village. Why does the ABC so snobbishly ignore quality drama from other parts of the (non-US/UK) Anglophonic world – New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Canada, South Africa – that don’t tend to fit the SBS format?

On another point, my conspiracy antennae are getting twitchy at this ‘sell the ABC’ groundswell. Methinks someone powerful, wealthy and connected has their sights set on its cash-cow potential. When in doubt, follow the money
Posted by SJF, Thursday, 24 January 2008 4:39:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good old (very) Leigh, always dependable in using foul language towards others.

Hate must be an awful ailment to live with!
Posted by Kipp, Thursday, 24 January 2008 4:41:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SusanP

This was one of the 40 best blogs for 2007, you say? I'm absolutely gobsmacked!

If this is an indication of the standard - bare pass undergraduate stuff - I think OLO should steer well clear.

I noticed you got the grand total of one response to your posting of the best bogs 2007. Doesn't that tell you something?

Surely OLO can do better than that? Or are you desperate for articles in the summer break?
Posted by FrankGol, Thursday, 24 January 2008 7:30:42 PM
It is the only way of ensuring a diverse range of views. Rather than the narrow-self interest of a media mogul.

WE all pay for it - our parents and grandparents paid to build it, together. And in my mind with good reason.

To me it has always represented our most honest window onto the world.
Posted by K£vin, Thursday, 24 January 2008 8:21:58 PM
The ABC is a plus for all young people and old. It is the one true station.
I( hope how ever buys it) has the right values.
Posted by evolution, Thursday, 24 January 2008 11:41:31 PM
FrankGol, you might want to look at the full-list of Best Blogs 07 before you sound off http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/feature.asp?year=2008&month=1. We do this feature each year with Club Troppo and a number of prominent bloggers who judge from a pool of nominations.

There's a variety of standards and a variety of points of view, and they are more typical of blog posts than OLO articles. We think it's worth celebrating what is being published on the Australian Internet, and giving a bit more publicity to some of the good posts that have been made. There's always questions of selection with anything like this. I'm happy to go with the judges.
Posted by GrahamY, Friday, 25 January 2008 10:54:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11