The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sell ABC TV! > Comments

Sell ABC TV! : Comments

By Ken Lovell, published 24/1/2008

The ABC has become a pointless exercise in self-indulgence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Susan, going by the two examples I've seen so far, I assume by "best" you mean "most blatantly controversial".

I'm sure if I were forced to I could put together a half-convincing argument for selling the ABC, but this was pure personal opinion followed by logical non-sequitur ("I haven't liked very many of the shows the ABC has put on in the last 6 months, therefore the only solution is to sell it to somebody else").
Posted by wizofaus, Thursday, 24 January 2008 11:54:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just like so much TV, OLO is just full of crappy re-runs!
Posted by Kiama kid, Thursday, 24 January 2008 12:37:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a stupid article. What a STUPID article.The one complaint I have with the ABC is that it does not do enough investigative reporting, but I guess these days finding out the truth is a "leftie" exercise carried out by limp-wristed pinko-liberal whale-huggers, to use the sort of language Piers Ackerman and the Australian New Right is wont to use. The ABC is leftie? Only a fascist could think like that.
Posted by HenryVIII, Thursday, 24 January 2008 12:56:57 PM
Whenever I hear calls from somebody to sell the ABC or SBS, I have one simple question that none of them are able to answer:

Point me to better news providers on the commerical free to air networks. If you can't, then why would you want to make the ABC just like them?

I've yet to hear any kind of adequate response, so I assume it's just sour grapes from people who only want to hear news they can agree with.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 24 January 2008 1:35:09 PM
Ken Lovell switch it off then, for the rest of us we will keep watching.
Posted by Kenny, Thursday, 24 January 2008 2:24:51 PM
It is presumptous to believe, as some of you seem to, that people who want the ABC sold watch commercial TV instead.

I watch the "7.30 Report", even though it is blatantly biased (I can make up my own mind). I even watch "The Bill", although I say that each time is the last time. And, I am a sucker for British drama. That leaves me with Friday nights, Saturday nights and some Sundays. At the moment the Sunday 8.30 spot is probably a great delight for poofters. There is nothing worth watching Monday to Thursday.

My beef with the ABC is that it has aped the commercials: if it's not advertising the Book Shop for 15 minutes, it's advertising its own programs a week plus down the track. It also has a bloody 'watermark', the most intrusive after SBS and Channel 10.

So, if it wants to ape the commercials, and is paranoid enough to think it has competition from the commercials, it should damn well be ripped off the public tit.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 24 January 2008 3:32:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All