The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > E-games - the 'Fury' and the spin > Comments

E-games - the 'Fury' and the spin : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 21/1/2008

The Australian e-games industry should drop the spin and play it straight. The reality is, it's not the money spinner it's cracked up to be.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
All our exporters have to deal with the exchange rate and many have to contend with so-called 'sweatshop' conditions in China and elesewhere. Having observed my 12 year old's experience with Fury, I suspect it failed primarily because of its own intrinsic shortcomings. This game was released before it was ready and before it had been adequately tested.

My son bought a full-price copy of Fury for $90 on launch in October 2007 and then had to pay a monthly subscription fee to play (around $15 IIRC). There was no free demo or trial version so it was hard for him to assess its worth against competitors like World of Warcraft beforehand. Immediately on installation he had to download many hundreds of megabytes of data before it would start and there were frequent additional 'mega patches' over the next few weeks. But the real problems according to him were technical inadequacies like poor sound and lack of 'balance' in the gameplay (a term understood apparently by avid gamers!). He found it particularly galling that players who were prepared to pay more could make themselves more powerful rather than having to earn that ability
Posted by Claudiecat, Monday, 21 January 2008 10:42:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"He found it particularly galling that players who were prepared to pay more could make themselves more powerful rather than having to earn that ability"
What a great way to make your community instantly hate each other.
Posted by Chade, Monday, 21 January 2008 11:25:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"They’re been making astounding claims that 2 million Australians play online games and up to 40 per cent of these are females."

It all depends on your definition of online game. There's the simple web games such as those on yahoo, then there's the typical multi-player side of the $100 boxed game from the game shop, and then there's pay by the month MMORPG. All three have significantly different levels of popularity.

Claudiecat, I think your comments highlight why such hype is so prevalent. People don't by games because they ARE good, they buy them because they THINK they're good. It's much easier to convince people, particularly the less knowledgeable such as parents of gamers, with flashy hype than relying on word of mouth from a quality product. The major game producers have a strangle hold on the media that prevents any sort of objective reviewing.
Posted by Desipis, Monday, 21 January 2008 12:19:01 PM
I have problems with King's Toryism but not on this occassion. It's a total demolition job of the online games industry or rather, those engaged in hype. King went for the jugular.

I can't see much harm in online games but I also have my doubts about their popularity. I read lots of pro-games articles in The Oz and other papers (my son is looking for a job - he's an animator). I would have noticed a big games developer like Auran go down. Must have missed it.

The game spin really lies in their wonky use of stats. I remember reading one head honco say that more than 3 million Aussie kids between 17 and 24 were playing computer games. Er, that's EVERY single youth in that age bracket. Spin.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 21 January 2008 3:56:29 PM
"3 million Aussie kids between 17 and 24 were playing computer games."
I'm no gamer, I'm interested in the above quote "is spin".
Fraud, lies is more the label I have in mind. Sad that some of our language is being taken down this path.
fluff4
Posted by fluff4, Tuesday, 22 January 2008 6:18:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy