The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Boys and guns > Comments

Boys and guns : Comments

By Peter West, published 11/1/2008

A new report from the UK might encourage a move back to single-sex learning, even within a coeducational school.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
In dealings with teachers, it seems there;s a bit of a paranoia that male teachers will be accused of improprieties with students.
All it takes is an accusation, and that's their career and reputation gone - to have such power in the hands of the students is worrying. It means teachers (mainly, but not just males) have to be careful and ensure they're never alone with any student.
I'd say the risks associated with this are one motivating factor why males don't get involved with the profession.

HRS, as far as your comments go, it looks to me like you're being very precious.
Think about it - you're saying that maybe, teachers are told that boys are immature while they're training to be teachers, and this colours their view and makes them biased from the outset.

The idea that they can't figure these things out for themselves is a bit insulting toward teachers..
Just because you're told something in training doesn't mean they're all going to come out guns blazing against male students.
Believe it or not, these teachers have brains. Give them a little more credit.

And yes, they can be told the obvious. In most classrooms I've witnessed, boys are more boisterous which results in their learning style being different.

That was the point of this article. Getting all worked up and nitpicking these 'biases' is just getting far too politically correct in my estimation. There's some realities here that teachers need to be told.

As far as the navy comments go, this correllates with other comments you make - yes, okay. Sure. Females join the navy too. Fine.
But it's way out of whack. On the overall numbers, far more males do. Just because there's a minority of females that behave that way, you blow this up to be an issue of import.

And in relation to the comments levelled against you, I'd say get over it. Plenty of rough and tumble goes on here, and what's been directed at you looks pretty tame compared to the comments by some hardcore posters which populate the site.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 11 January 2008 1:22:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think the article looks at the issues facing boys honestly.

Many of the problems facing boys stem from the left-wing culture that permeates our educational institutions: from schools, universities, education departments and Boards of Studies. This culture has been highly influenced by a feminist critique which sees men as a threat to women and children, and maleness as some type of pathology. You'll notice that the men who do well in education usually suscribe to this view. They will tend to be self-depreciating when it comes to 'gender' issues; they will gladly criticise men but never dare to criticise women. Does anyone really think boys are so silly as to not pick this up? Children are told all thru school how to behave with women: its bad to hit a women, women are equal, men have subjugated women in the past, men get drunk and violent, children are in immense danger from strangers and abuse (read: from men). The obvious implication is that men are an immense threat to vulnerable women and children. Do educationalists ever ask what affect this will have on boys? Do they think boys don't understand that one day all these 'bad' things will relate to them? Educators really take boys for fools.

Girls and women, of course, are never portrayed negatively. They are seen as strong and independent, in control, and able to achieve anything. The same message is not received by boys. They are not VALUED as girls are. And they KNOW this. Until this CHANGES boys will not achieve their potential.

I think the fact that Dr Peter West is suposed to be an expert on boys' education but can only skirt the issues with meaningless talk about 'guns' (surprise: boys like guns, violence and are a threat to women) suports my argument.
Posted by dane, Friday, 11 January 2008 3:07:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boys these days are aggressive and they do not think before they act. They are impulsive and aggressive because parents are not teaching them to consider how their actions impact on others. Girls are also catching on.

With this, boys will be boy’s, attitude boys are doing things that are very dangerous and can lead to harm. Boys are not being taught to consider the consequences of their actions they are pretty much left to their own devices.

I have two sons and two daughters and they tell me what is going on. Schools don’t help because they allow boys to kick footballs in crowded asphalt areas when it is very dangerous to other students as they kick like they are in a park. Often other students get hurt. Nobody stops them. They are allowed to play cricket and they swing that bat in ways that could kill a person. Sure the rules are that they are not allowed, but nobody stops them or punishes them if they disobey. They run around knocking other children over and nothing is done. It is just seen as kids being kids.

It is the adult’s fault that our children are not learning to be more caring and compassionate. Adults are not teaching the children well.
Posted by Jolanda, Saturday, 12 January 2008 10:16:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
‘No mother, or father, wants their son to become a gun-wielding monster who destroys other people’s lives.’

No. But as a culture we reserve the right to glorify war, romanticise our dead warriors and canonise our living warriors every chance we get. One country’s gun-wielding monsters are another country’s ‘boys at the front’.

It’s hypocrisy to keep blaming TV, films and computer games for making boys violent, or the school system for failing to address their supposedly ‘natural’ rambunctiousness, when so much of the wider culture of masculinity is geared to glamorising the hyper-competitiveness of war, sport and corporate arse-kicking.
Posted by SJF, Saturday, 12 January 2008 10:40:25 AM
Turnrightthenleft.
I’ m not too concerned by a CJ Morgan, but I am intrigued that an ex-teacher can post so often but have nothing at all in their post that actually mentions the topic.

If, as you say, teachers should forget what they were told in teacher’s training colleges, then those colleges represent a major waste of money.

The misconception that girls marks are improving is being propelled by the media with articles such as “With girls blitzing boys academically”,

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/14/1087065080216.html

But in reality, girls marks have not significantly improved, its just that boys marks have significantly declined.

That newspaper article is interesting, because towards the end, it shows a school that is attempting to encourage its girls to develop more of an inquiring mind. But you don’t develop an inquiring mind by sitting still and listening to someone else all day long, and then repeating back what you were told at exam time.

You develop an inquiring mind by being more active, and perhaps more rebellious and more challenging of the teacher.

So eventually the feminist education system may go full circle, and girls will eventually be encouraged to be more active, and perhaps more rebellious and challenging of the teacher, just like boys (are or once were).

SJF
A well as joining the army, navy and air force, women also play football, and play other sports involving body contact or fighting an opponent. If they weren’t allowed, then they would probably say that it was discrimination.
Posted by HRS, Saturday, 12 January 2008 11:18:31 AM
HRS,

"If I make a post, you will inevitably follow with some derogatory remark, which is a form of stalking, and I regard a number of your remarks as being veiled threats."

Good for you! That's the only way to treat the ratbag CJ Morgan.

Don't worry about any 'threat' from Morgan. Even if he, she or it had the opportunity to do anything, he,she or it wouldn't have the guts. He, she or it is a thorough-going creep who never says anything original, but lurks like some sort of beast waiting to prey on anyone who has an opinion not according to Morgan.

CJ Morgan is a pathetic, sad grub who gets a kick out of trying (unsuccessfully) to put others down - an idiot best ignored.
Posted by Leigh, Saturday, 12 January 2008 3:48:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy