The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > John Howard - his journey and his legacy > Comments

John Howard - his journey and his legacy : Comments

By Leon Bertrand, published 7/12/2007

John Howard's ambitions were thwarted many times. His story is one of political courage, patience and determination.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Sycophantic in the extreme!
Posted by travellingnorth, Friday, 7 December 2007 11:23:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep Howard was so great that hardly anyone can remember his name and even less people could care less.

He was a grasping, vicious, racist, self-serving, back stabbing liar and war criminal.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Saturday, 8 December 2007 1:43:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AJFA my thanks! you finally came back from whatever place you hide on election night.
This constant rubbish about leftists ignores the fact you are from the extreme right.
Put your views about the election and mine together the views we put here in print, but it seems I understood the voters far more than you.
You may find I am no leftist, history will have a different view than the author, Howard lost his seat, government, and the fact his cabinet will play little part in his party shouts at us.
For months I warned Howard did not own the voters , he had long ago betrayed them and many times.
The long battle to rebuild conservative party's will craft a far different view of Howard than you.
Why do you think us Lefty's, strange way to talk about former Liberal voters who unseated your mob, are jealous?
Thanks for you display of pain ,lack of understanding, and refusal to see voters thought far different than you.
Sunday in the lodge? no for John every day for months to come must be hell, a reminder he made his battlers into Kevin 07 fans.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 8 December 2007 4:49:48 AM
I think that if you had to select one event that occurred during Howard's period as Prime Minister for which he will be fondly remembered, it would have to be the Tampa affair.

I cannot remember any other political event in my life where the government acted with more support from the overwhelming majority of the people. I also cannot remember an event where the strongest supporters of the government came from the Labor Party's heartland.

The only other event that comes close to it was the Petrov affair, and the events surrounding Mrs Petrov's decision to remain in Australia. However this event did not have the distinguishing aspect of support in the opposition's heartland.

I am fully aware that there are many people who strongly opposed Howard's actions over Tampa, and who felt that in this case the government should act other than in accordance with the wishes of the majority. Fortunately we live in a democracy.

At the beginning of a new century that will be marred by a massive population explosion in the third world, where there will be many millions of economic and other refugees that are vastly more than Australia can cope with, the statement that unlike Europe we will not permit ourselves to be overwhelmed by this tide of people, and will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come, was one of the most strongly supported of those made by any government.

It has ensured that our refugee program, in which we have for 60 years selected refugees for settlement in Australia, has remained an outstanding success story.

John Howard will be fondly remembered by me and many others.
Posted by plerdsus, Saturday, 8 December 2007 6:24:00 AM
plerdsus: "I think that if you had to select one event that occurred during Howard's period as Prime Minister for which he will be fondly remembered, it would have to be the Tampa affair"

Indeed. However, for many of us that sorry and cynical affair encapsulated everything that was wrong with that odious, xenophobic, mean-spirited, war-mongering, sanctimonious toad Howard.

I used to be embarrassed to be a Queenslander when Joh was Premier, and I was similarly embarrassed to be an Australian with Howard as PM. While Rudd is far from perfect, at least he isn't embarrassing.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 8 December 2007 9:39:07 AM
Mr Howard was gracious in victory and gracious in defeat. I doubt whether you will hear the bile that the embittered Mr Whitlam, Mr Fraser and Mr Keating seem to be taking to their graves.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 8 December 2007 10:05:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy