The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does Israel deserve our support? > Comments

Does Israel deserve our support? : Comments

By Ghada Karmi, published 8/10/2007

Modern Jews in Europe are not the people of ancient Judea and hold no title deeds to modern Palestine.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 32
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. All
As with most of the Posts, a resounding YES. One wonders just what Doctorate Ghada Karmi has. She is certainly good at DOCTORING the Truth. I quote "This narrow strip bordering the Mediterranean is the most over crowded patch on earth". The facts -
Gaza with a population of 1.5 million has an area of 360km2 which gives a density of 3823 per sq. km.
Hong Kong with a pop. of 7 million, an area of 1099 km2, has a density of 6407 per sq. km.
Singapore with a pop. of 4.48 million has an area of 704 km2 and a density, slightly lower than Hong Kong, of 6369 per sq. km.
Others have dealt with other aspects of the article but the following deserves our attention - "On April 27, 1950, the Arab National Committee of Haifa stated in a memorandum to the Arab States: 'The removal of the Arab inhabitants[in 1948] was voluntary and was carried out at our request... The Arab delegation proudly asked for the evacuation of the Arabs and their removal to the neighbouring Arab countries.' It should also be noted that the estimated 550,000 Arab refugees of 1948 include tens of thousands who moved into what became Israel in the years just before its establishment"
Just recently Abu Mazen(Mahmoud Abbas) told the Washington Post that it is "my right" to return to his birthplace in Safed(Tzfat), but how I will use this right is up to me and to the refugees and to the agreement which will take place between us."
What he doesn't tell is that the 1948 battle for Tfzat began after the Mufti Haj Amin al-Husseini, who was living at the time in Lebanon, planned to move to Tfzat after the British departure and declare the establishment of an Arab-Palestinian state with Tfzat as its first capital.
One can only imagine the contents of the Edwards Said Memorial Lecture at The University of Adelaide, and what she will be saying at other venues around Australia. Get your facts straight Dr Karmi!!
Posted by fairgo, Monday, 8 October 2007 12:43:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I read somewhere a long time ago that the Arabs arrived in the area of
Palestine around the year 200 or so, after the Jews had been driven
out by the Romans.

It said that they came from an area to the North East of the Middle East.
That would put it into either Persia or Southern Russia I think.
Maybe someone on here knows tha answer.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 8 October 2007 12:59:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
But Arabs are not people!

Sir Robin John Maxwell-Hyslop (Conservative) recorded in Hansard (Commons, 18 October 1973), a visit to the Knesset:

'After lunch, the Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee spoke with great intemperance about the Arabs. When he drew a breath, I was constrained to say, 'Dr Hacohen, I am profoundly shocked that you should preach of other human beings in terms similar to those in which (Nazi) Julius Streicher spoke of the Jews. Have you learned nothing?' I shall remember his reply to my dying day. He smote the table with both hands and said, 'But they are not human beings, they are not people, they are Arabs.'

This is how the Zionist state thinks: Arabs are not people. It doesn't matter if you bulldoze their houses and kill their children. THEY ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS. THEY ARE NOT PEOPLE. THEY ARE ARABS.
Posted by Lev, Monday, 8 October 2007 1:05:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@articdog
"[D]rive them into the sea". Can you find a original source for that claim? You may discover that its a little difficult.

@gchslh
You do realise that merely expressing one theological perspective is countered by any other theological perspective. For example;

http://www.nkuk.org/

@plerdsus
Some people make decisions on principles... Others have no sense of moral reasoning at all.

@fairgo
Ghada Karmi is a doctor of medicine. She was born in a Palestinian family in Jerusalem. She is an associate fellow at the Royal Institute of International Affairs in London, and a visiting professor at London Metropolitan University.

Yes, Karmi should have said "one of the most overcrowded" rather than "the most overcrowded". You get a kewpie doll. Now go play with it.

@mac: You are quite correct. There is no genetic difference between Semitic Palestinians and Semitic Jews. Of course, mentioning this fact can lead to censorship, as the Human Immunology journal discovered.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/article/0,2763,605806,00.html
Posted by Lev, Monday, 8 October 2007 1:44:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Could say that the wandering Jews, as so much called, had every right, especially after their treatment in Nazi Germany to join their few brethren in Israel.

The more modern worry, however, is to have allowed the Jews to have become, with two hundred nukes at the ready, per favour of the US, virtually a super-state, their inborn mental talents in politics, economics animal and plant husbandry, etc, proving how the Jewish people have been an asset to the advancement of any country that accepts them as equals.

From a philosophical point of therefore, it is understandable that the Middle East Muslims, could be now existing in a kind of tremorous fear that the future could be against them.

It is believed that for the good of the future, us in the Western world should be humble enough not to take sides here.

We must take a causal backward look, and realise that the pride we felt in how a reborn Israel was showing the seemingly less intelligent Arabs what reality was all about, was not good for the future of the Middle East.

No need to say much more, except to suggest that the blame does lie with a weak United Nations, too much under the spell of the old colonial imperialism - and elitism - which we thought was on the way out after WW2.

Regards - BB, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 8 October 2007 1:50:27 PM
Israel deserves support simply pragmatically: if it is “washed off the Earth”, the next would have been any of non-Muslim countries.
Posted by MichaelK., Monday, 8 October 2007 2:10:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 32
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy