The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > US academic slams Iran president > Comments

US academic slams Iran president : Comments

By Lee Bollinger, published 27/9/2007

Professor Lee Bollinger of Columbia University speaks out in forceful terms against the President of Iran.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Bushbred,

I am very curious to know who you think are the real left wing loonies?

Do you contend that Iran’s current theocratic leadership is typical of Iran over the last 500 years?

Do you deny that Iranian Revolutionary Guards are directly involved in fighting the war in Iraq? Do you deny that Iran arms and funds Shia insurgents in Iraq. What about the fact that Iran was a founding member of Hezbollah and also supports Hamas and Islamic Jihad. The region is awash in Iranian made weapons.

Ahmedinejhad has said a number of times that Israel should be wiped off the map. Do you also pretend that he is being misquoted?

I also have much respect for the average Iranian, but I have none for their leadership. They brutally suppress any political opposition in Iran. The language you use is totally lacking in any academic rigour. “Proud people could be easily destroyed’ what kind of nonsense is this? The Israelis are proud people, we are proud people too, so what?

Iran is fully aware they are playing a very dangerous game. They are not babes in the woods. They are seeking a total reversal of geopolitical and strategic advantage in the region through their acquisition of nuclear weapons.

Iran is indirectly attacking Israel and the US every day yet you think they need nuclear weapons to protect themselves. This is insane. Iran is engaging in brinkmanship of the most dangerous kind for their own gain. This puts a total lie to your claim that they are harmless victims of US and Israeli policy.

Iran’s threat from Israel stems directly from their constant proxy attacks against Israel. If they desisted in attacking Israel and seeking nuclear weapons they would be safe.

You said “save the Middle East getting pulverised with Israeli atomic rockets”

This is blatant propaganda of the most appalling kind. Israel has never threatened anyone with nuclear weapons. You should declare the fact that you hope that Israel will be destroyed whenever you discuss this subject and hence let people know you cannot be objective.
Posted by Paul.L, Thursday, 27 September 2007 9:08:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul L, you say iran is attacking the U.S. every day. using your standard of "attacking", how many countries is the U.S. attacking every day? what would you consider to be legitimate responses to these attacks?
Posted by bushbasher, Thursday, 27 September 2007 10:08:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Marilyn is it possible that this time, as on so many occasions in the past, you are mistaken? Do you speak Arabic?
The Iranian President's views on Israel have been widely reported by many respectable news services, including Arabic speaking news services.
I am sure that many people would like to believe that the translations are mistaken. Unfortunately native Arabic speaking colleagues who keep a close eye on all that is going on assure me that the reports are correct. I have no reason to disbelieve them.
Posted by Communicat, Friday, 28 September 2007 8:36:18 AM
Another win for Islam delivered on a silver platter this time not by simple minded Bush but by a supposedly intelligent academic.

Now read Ahmadinejad's reply delivery. Note how he made full use of the platform to give his version of hitory, issue an invitation to Islam, enhance the victim state of Arabs, accuse US for all terroe and NOT answer any hard question:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/24/AR2007092401042.html
Posted by coach, Friday, 28 September 2007 12:29:34 PM
Um Communicat, the speech given by Fruitcake Ahmadinejad would have been made in Farsi (Persian) not Arabic. The Iranian people are not Arabs and don't speak that language. Their native tongue - like English actually - is an Indo-European language.
Posted by Snappy Tom, Friday, 28 September 2007 3:41:14 PM
True Snappy Tom but it was widely reported on the Arabic news services (including the big one Al-Jazeera) and my informants trust those translations before the English translations...as they say the Iranians have support there that they certainly do not have in the west. My friend Asha also understands enough Farsi to be certain that the translation to Arabic was as accurate as any translation can be.
I think my point is still correct...Marilyn Shepherd is mistaken in her belief that the Iranian President is not calling for the destruction of Israel. He is and so, I understand, are a number of influential mullahs inside Iran.
The situation is very dangerous and the university's actions did nothing to cool it.
Posted by Communicat, Friday, 28 September 2007 5:18:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All