The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What’s good for the Islamic goose is clearly not good for the Catholic gander > Comments

What’s good for the Islamic goose is clearly not good for the Catholic gander : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 8/6/2007

Ordinary Catholics have as little say in Cardinal Pell’s appointment or dismissal as ordinary Muslims do in Sheikh Hilali’s.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 36
  10. 37
  11. 38
  12. All
No difference between Pell of Hilali. They both preach religious dogma with equal enthusiasm and yet I can't help but wonder why so many deluded people hang on Pell's words. As a "prince" of the Catholic Church, he continues to spread the lies and deception enshrined in Catholic teachings to it's thought bound and ignorant congregation.
For example: Why is it that the Catholic Church continues to observe Sunday as it's sabbath? You won't find anywhere in the Bible, either in the new or old testament whereby God or his son gave permission to change the holy day. In fact, moving the sabbath isn't mentioned at all. Most other Christian religions, being a spin-off of the Catholic faith, follow along blindly and without question.
Same with the 25th of December! Show me in the Bible where it says we much observe "Christmas" day? Right! You can't!
Religion was invented to explain the unexplainable in times long gone. It's also been a convenient way of keeping rabble in their place. From history, I do happen to believe that a person called Jesus walked the Earth, but I don't happen to believe he was the son of God. In fact, I don't believe in fairy tale creations that fly around the sky seeking retribution or giving reward for deeds done on this Earth. Mankind has 'over-thought' himself on this issue and brought desolation and destruction on countless millions over the decades as a result.
Anyway! How come all religions state THEY'RE the only true religion? Someone must have it badly wrong. Jesus was a very wise man and if all religions followed his ideals and principles, what a beautiful world we'd have to live in.
Posted by Aime, Friday, 8 June 2007 3:00:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find it amusing that the same people who want a separation of church and state want to be able to legislate to enforce churches or church schools to employ homosexuals or others living in sexual sin and/or perversion. You can't have it both ways. The separation of church and State is a myth and always will be. Just like any other lobby groups the church will always have its say.
Posted by runner, Friday, 8 June 2007 4:24:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ifran,

HELL'S PELLS

One would hope that any religion will keep its theocracy out of democracy. Besides, both Islam and Christianity is diced into a multitude of competing fractions. The great [Christian] Schicism, the Anglican break with its parent Church. Besides Christianity started as a Jew cult and had fifteen Jewish bishops, before its formation. We should be governed by the People through our parliaments, not from Churches, Temples, Mosques or faries up a rock in the backyard.

From what I have read about Jesus his concept of the Kingdom of Heaven was unlike his fellow itinerate Messiahs, popular in that era.
He challenged the Jewish "Religious" Law and was not about to actack Rome, instead, he would "render unto Caesar".

Pell is as far from Jesus as a Prince is from a Pauper.
Posted by Oliver, Friday, 8 June 2007 4:28:05 PM
Fellow_Human,

1. “in a secular democracy, the religious institution and state are separate”.

Bingo!

But in Islam religion is the state and state is the religion. So what the Khalifa or the Mullah, or Imam says the crowd follows.

When you are a muslim - you don't question - just follow and defend your lies.

2. “Matters like abortion, stemcells, etc.. can be oposed by many human beings regardless of religious convictions or non-religious people at all.”

Right again – but how could we ever trust a Theology that believes in a holy book that claims that human beings are formed from a clot?

I am not a Catholic but in matters of life and death - and of high moral implications - we better listen to the educated members of our society who after all have earned the right to a better understanding of theology than your average taxi driver or barber.

Aime,

People like you are going to wake up one day and finding a Hillali as President of the Islamic Republic of Australia.

For your information Sunday is the day of The Lord marking His resurrection on the third day after He was crucified on a cross, for ALL humanity – the day of a new beginning for all the believers in the Son of God.

Jesus birth date, the 25th December, January 6th or 7th, doesn’t really make a difference as long as you understand WHY He was born and WHY He died.
Posted by coach, Friday, 8 June 2007 5:24:29 PM
Far out, coach. Are you OK? You really sound full of anger, hatred and paranoia. Is that how you usually are? If so, I think you need to get some help.

Religion and state separated after the Prophet Muhammad's passing. Scholars are in disagreement as to exactly when it happened. Some say it happened after the assassination of the 2nd caliph. Others say it happened when the 4th caliph decided to move the political capital away from the holy city of Madina to a place called Kufa in Iraq. Since that time, religious scholars and authorities tended to shun the courts of kings and rulers.

In fact, the founders of the 4 major schools of Sunni jurisprudence avoided patronage of kings. Quite a few were persecuted. All the Shia imams were persecuted.

In orthodox Sunni jurisprudence, the unification of religious and political authority will not take place until Christ returns to establish the Kingdom of God. Certainly that is what I have been taught.

In the Catholic world, the state struggled to keep away from the church. In the Islamic world, it was the reverse.
Posted by Irfan, Friday, 8 June 2007 5:57:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coach, you said...."For your information Sunday is the day of The Lord marking His resurrection on the third day after He was crucified on a cross"

Now let me tell you what really happened. Firstly, lots of things were happening at the same time. Philosophers were attempting to reconcile paganism with Christianity whilst at the same time, anti-Jewish sentiment was becoming more pronounced. In the 4th century, the conversion of Constantine happened. The story of how he had a vision is well known, but most likely the result of ingested fermenting grain or too much hooch. He then proceeded to convert to Christianity all of his army, most of whom were pagans, but they remained pagan at heart. At that time, the cult of Mithraism or sun-worship was the official religion of Roman Empire. "The Venerable Day of the Sun," the first day of the week (Sunday to us now) was set aside to worship the sun God. Rather than cause disent amongst his newly acquired "Christians," Constantine accepted the pagan day of worship instead of the Christian Sabbath which had been observed by Jesus and his disciples.
The Catholic church is only too willing to tell their followers that it was the Catholic Church that made the switch, but such is not the case. This is well documented Coach, but like all ye who are blinded by fairy tales, you probably will not bother to look it up for yourself.
Coach, this is another reason I don't believe in religion. Any religion. Look! If you feel you must hang onto something in order to survive the terror of this big old world, then fine. I respect that, but don't try to convert me. I'm only part human and see things through the eyes of truth.
Posted by Aime, Friday, 8 June 2007 6:12:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 36
  10. 37
  11. 38
  12. All