The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Israel’s negative influence on the world > Comments

Israel’s negative influence on the world : Comments

By Manny Waks, published 7/6/2007

Israel has become the new cause célčbre: 'It used to be anti-apartheid, now it's anti-Israel.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
I can understand the emotional attachment to historical Israel. I myself have a romantic attachment to Ireland and England due to my ancestory. However I do not claim to own any land there on the basis of my historical attachment. In the final analysis you can site any historical agreement you wish, the truth is that the recognized process in International Law for incorporating captured land into a state is to annex it.
For reasons of its own Israel has never annexed Gaza and the West Bank which it captured in 1967. In other words to this day Israel does not consider this land to be legally part of the state of Israel.
The occupants of this land (who choose to call themselves Palestinians) live onder military occupation and military government. They are stateless but live under the control of the Isreali occupying forces. No recognized state lays legal claim to these areas.
It is the occupied Palestinians who President Carter had in mind when he used the word 'Aparthiet' to refer to Israeli Arabs in this context is obscurantism.
Posted by Major_Kevin, Tuesday, 12 June 2007 4:19:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Balfour very responsible for this after signing the declaration in 1917, I am now just devasted at the sheer contributions on behalf of America, Israel and now the EU in supplying Fatah with funds in order to eradicate the other half of the Palestinian population - Hamas.

Israel is the first country to deny right to return passage to refugees, it uses demolishion as a collective form of punishment and has the highest number of ethically cleansed villages throughout the world. Myself being a youth am concerned about the future and what we will be subjected to bear witness to in our later lives, we are already witnessing fascism, discrimination, illegal occupation, apartheid walls and segregation and not to mention illegal wars.

The owner of the land can be traced back to Saladin and the Crusades, or even further if you wish, either or, Israel does not bear much right to it, the Holy land will be forever in dispute- this is just a fact.

For those pro Israeli's and those critising others being concerned about the welfare of the Palestinian people - having a bias western view, why so many people chose to turn a blind eye baffles me. One view could be that another influence was from the Neo Cons and the Regan government with presenting the world with nightmares in the form of terrorism - which now is becoming a reality.

This is definately in effect as to how people think today, both Western and Israeli - majority seeing Arabs and Muslims as all fitting into the mould, but they neglect what they themselves are doing and seeing it as all being justified and for a righteous cause. Much of the media proves this as well
Posted by OliviaAC, Tuesday, 19 June 2007 6:44:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OliviaAC,

First of all, “Saladin”, Salaaheddin Ayyubi, was a Kurd, ethnically related to Iran (Persia), he was not an Arab. Saladin is of the 12th century (AD). The history of the region goes far, far back than this. The archaeology of the area provides a lot of information.

Olivia,

I will tell you what I used to tell my students at university. Question, question, question; do your research well, study and interogate your texts, and always refer back to primary sources wherever possible.

I told my students to question what I said, to question the lectures they received, to question what their parents and family told them, to question what their friends said, and to question the media - not only what is written, but also the photographs and film - photographs can be cropped and altered; also film can present a distortion of events.

I told them that if they presented an argument well, with supporting evidence, they would be marked accordingly, even if it differed from my point of view. I was challenged by the head of my department for this, but remained adamant. At the end of the year my students were marked by other academics. Not only did my students have more Distinctions than any other group, but none received less than a Credit. Most importantly, they had learnt how to use their intellect.

If the Arab States (and Britain) had accepted the two-state solution in 1948, the Palestinians would be nigh on celebrating their 60th anniversary as an independent state alongside the legitimate UN mandate State of Israel. Many conferences since have been held to enable such a solution. You can research these and evaluate the outcomes for yourself.

I would suggest that you particularly research the period of Arafat’s reign, the findings after he died,and how and why the Hamas got elected. The Hamas, a radical, extremist, Islamic group have sworn to bring Sharia law into every household. Study the issues, actions by various groups, and results of the Riyadh summit meeting which was held March 28-29, this year.
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 7:12:54 PM
Dannielle,

When I was referring to Saladin I was referring to the fact that he was Muslim not Jewish.

I have read many things and formulated my own opinion of the situation and do question it, although Hamas are referred to as extremists often, Fatah were willing to side with Israel and the US to have control. In the year Arafat took over – who was a member of Fatah yes they carried out close to 2,500 “terrorist” attacks on Israel – that could be classified as an extremist act also.

Today alone they have kidnapped 150 Hamas members, burnt down all the hamas related universities, homes, medical centres etc in the West Bank. Abbas is calling for a new election as Hamas are supposed to be in control despite their leader being murdered, which will now be as reliant as the way America’s politics are run presently. Is it just?

I have read information regarding the al-Nakba, al-Naksa and the Suez war. I am not taking sides with the Palestinian government or political views of either party because at times both were in the wrong; my only concern is for the country to be able to exist as a whole when the western world won't acknowledge their place anytime in the near future. Nor are they going to stop adding fuel to the fire by turning the country against each other.

I don’t see Mr Howard getting involved, it is quite clear Bush and the remainders of congress is corrupt and are easily paid off and as for the English their government is in limbo at the moment. So what happens next, nothing, the situation will remain as it is, the other western countries are too much of a minority to generate an end to it, and the other half of the Palestinian population being Hamas will be wiped out inevitably but by their own kind to save Israel from doing it themselves. It truly is a situation which is in despair.
Posted by OliviaAC, Thursday, 21 June 2007 7:40:58 AM
Olivia,

Good. At least you are reading, but you need to read more. Look at the proposals that have been put forward at the various summits. Also, read about the findings about Arafat's financial dealings and position prior to his death. Also, look at the state that the Palestinians were in during his reign and ask why? Ask why Arafat refused a peace with Israel. Keep on asking the right questions and you well get there. Study the various Palestinian/Israeli summit meetings and the outcomes.

There has been no Israeli presence in Gaza since 2005; they dismantled all their settlements and removed their military and left the region; they also left industrial complexes for the Palestinians to take over. Importantly, look at the primary sources.
As for Israel, look at the percentages of Jews compared with others, compare the rights of all; look at who make up most of the border police, and ask why. Keep on looking at primary sources.

Find out the situation between the the Arab League and Hamas and where Hamas gets its money for weaponary. Ask how and why they are treating their own people this way. Keep on the questioning. Olivia, you are doing well. Look at the Islamic makeup of the West Bank and that of the Hamas. Look at the relationship between the Arab League and Israel.

cont ...
Posted by Danielle, Thursday, 21 June 2007 1:15:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy