The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What does it look like Kev? > Comments

What does it look like Kev? : Comments

By Victor Hart, published 31/5/2007

For too long Indigenous Australians have been a political football on a political football field.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
$260 million to improve the health and education of Indigenous children is I believe only part of Rudds Indigenous Funding Plan.

Given Rudds humanitatian approach ... his faith in the Millennium Development Goals;

http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/

Which ought to also apply to developed countries like Australia...

I hope there is more to come with a sustainable statement that works out how to target a framework with "representations" which include a revised plan of persistence with the State governments.

You are wrong Victor Hart when you say that there are;

"...approximately half a million Indigenous Australians and supporters who would like to know exactly what it looks like..."

I believe with 90% of all Australians voting YES for the 1967 referendum, and given we have some 20 Million people living in Australia today... the sum of people... who want to know what the Rudd ALP Indigenous Peoples Health and Wellbeing Plan looks like could be "approximately" at least 80% or more of this Australian population who are or want to be Indigenous People Supporters.

The problem Victor I believe is to do with "impatiality" - too much "objectiveness" withing the public service and a lack of greater awareness within the Australian public about the social-economic cultural,political and historical barriers which block the process of emancipation for Indigenous people.

In a modern Australia I feel the "impatiality" of the developed world is masking real sensiblity. The problem is to make the connection between our intellectual perception and act with a emotional responsiveness toward the feelings of another. I believe we need a more refined awareness and appreciation in matters of disadvantage and accept quality issues that influence the changes in the present world environment.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Friday, 1 June 2007 7:14:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Miacat wrote: "the sum of people... who want to know what the Rudd ALP Indigenous Peoples Health and Wellbeing Plan looks like could be "approximately" at least 80% or more of this Australian population who are or want to be Indigenous People Supporters"

Yes true but would they vote YES to Rudds mysterious plan?

Wanting to know and voting for the rights of Aboriginal people are very different things.

As Noel Pearson said recently 'if you want to commit political suicide throw an Aboriginal issue around your neck'

We don't win votes as have known that for years. The political will by political partys to do the right thing is not something we can rely on to happen. For us this is indicative of something very rotten at the core of Australian liberalism. What do you think Miacat?

The only interest the ALP has in Indigenous issues is to make sure they don’t lose redneck votes by being seen to be soft on blacks. Their only policy prescription they dare fly is that blacks have [=are] problems and they’re gonna fix em.

ie, 'Trust me - I'm from the Opposition'
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 1 June 2007 3:16:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Persistance makes perfect sense Rainier. If it is all as you say then we cant allow the politicians to not hear what we have to say.

Your comments "The political will by political partys to do the right thing is not something we can rely on to happen. For us this is indicative of something very rotten at the core of Australian liberalism."

And in the spot-light

"ALP has in Indigenous issues is to make sure they don’t lose redneck votes by being seen to be soft on blacks. Their only policy prescription they dare fly is that blacks have [=are] problems and they’re gonna fix em".

I am hoping to see a major shift, and I hope to see more from Rudds Indigenous Funding Startegy.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Saturday, 2 June 2007 3:20:05 PM
Hey Dan, how long ya been a member of the Labor party and which Minister do you fetch sandwiches and coffee for?
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 2 June 2007 5:32:30 PM
I don't mean to offend anybody. For far too long our Indigenous Brothers & Sisters have allow themselves to be trated like Welfare Dependants. Give them a few cents and they will drink themselves to death.

It is time to ensure every child is educated in both Indigenous and Non-Indigenous studies. That every community has a right to education, health and work based in their own community.

Jobs means ensuring that the making of boommerangs in the traditional ways or any other way cannot be carried by a non-indigeous person nor imported from another country for example. That those who live in communities such as Palm Island, Lockhart River etc are encourage to bring in tourist to spend sometime learning about and experiencing the life of Indigenous people in the traditional way. Take a look at the Lost Tribes and you will understand what I mean.

It is time to control your own lives don't be a Welfare Dependant.
Posted by southerner, Monday, 4 June 2007 10:40:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nicely pointed out Victor. How dare Indigenous people ask what this mysterious body might look like. clearly Rudd is edging bets and expousing nothing. Why can't he give Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians an outline? Must Indigenous folks rely on the benevolence of goverment for rights?

Your question of 'where is the national Indigenous voice?' is a haunting one. If there is one it is being drowned out by the meta-narrative of Indigenous leaders of the likes of Pearson and Mundine.
Critical questions need to be asked and acted on and Labour party members should not get defensive, but if concerned, should ask these questions as well.
Posted by haz, Monday, 4 June 2007 3:58:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy