The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > To baby or not to baby > Comments

To baby or not to baby : Comments

By Tania Andrusiak and Daniel Donahoo, published 14/5/2007

Half a century past the feminist revolution and we’re being sidetracked by quibbles over babies.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Malcolm Turnbull was right when he said Heffernan's comment was appalling. Why is a person who would say such a thing still sitting in parliament?
Posted by healthwatcher, Monday, 14 May 2007 9:50:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bob Carr also copped flak from John Hewson (remember him?) for being childless. More recently, John Brogden made an outrageous comment about his wife Helena being a "mail-order bride". It was sexist towards her but also an insult to Carr's masculinity. Carr has also had questions raised about his sexuality.

Germany has elected a childless woman in the top job but it would be interesting to know how men in Western countries who don't conform to social norms - such as an openly gay Prime Minister or President - would be accepted.
Posted by DavidJS, Monday, 14 May 2007 10:04:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Healthwatcher

It is probably because he is one of John Howard’s close friends. Howard thinks the same - only his monkey can say it while Howard hides behind the organ. Otherwise he would be sacked by now.

The comments offend all women - and Howard does too by his inaction, (as well as the Liberal Party as whole for not calling for and ensuring his resignation).
Posted by Billy C, Monday, 14 May 2007 10:10:39 AM
It's becoming more difficult for professional women in the large cities of Melbourne and Sydney to juggle the demands of child rearing and career. Professional women often take 6 years to establish their career after leaving university, are expected to work 10 hours per day, and can't take more than a year off work without having to retrain. Because house prices are so high, median house price is $340,000, average full time male wage is $58,000, two incomes are often vital for the family budget.

For example, a young woman in working in Melbourne CBD would probably be looking to buy an affordable house in Beaconsfield, would leave the child in child care, travel 90 minutes to work, work for 10 hours, travel 90 minutes to child care - problem you can't leave kids at child care for more than 12 hours.

The Workchoices legislation that allows employers total flexibility in their employment practices will effect Australia's fertility rate.

The effect of the mish mash of child care policies is that professional women have fewer children that their less well off sisters. Its sad because professional women probably breed cleverer children and nurture them more effectively than single mum's struggling in poverty.
Posted by billie, Monday, 14 May 2007 10:43:34 AM
When I was in my late 20's I was teaching in Sydney. I began to notice that many of the young mothers who were teaching at that school would come to work crying from the stress of trying to cope with their housework, their children and their school work. And I also noticed that many of the children that I was teaching seemed to be unhappy. Then I spent some time in Sri Lanka and I noticed that women there had cooks and teenage girls and boys to look after their children, do the shopping,etc. I noticed how happy the Sri Lankan children were with so much attention. And I noticed that the teenagers who were employed as servants were learning basic home-management skills. Meanwhile the Australian women teachers who were crying from overwork were paying taxes to keep unemployed Australian teenagers lazing around at home. I realised that it was Australian men - men in unions - who were making this choice that their wives would "do two shifts", leaving the men free to attend union meetings, engage in debate and make all of the decisions. If intelligent, professional Australian women were able to employ servants in their homes - like women in many Asian countries - they would have more children. And Australian children would be a lot happier. http://www.badapplebullies.com/ supports teachers dealing with workplace issues.
Posted by Dealing With The Mob, Monday, 14 May 2007 10:56:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am concerned that your article still seems to be coming from the premise that all women want children. Not all do, and many have been coerced into having them for reasons that could do with an examination. Yet we accept much better the notion that a man may not want children and therefore will remain childless without question. Should a woman choose this option she is severely questioned and then censured whatever the reason. Or have I missed the point?
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 14 May 2007 11:04:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy