The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ending poverty is within our grasp > Comments

Ending poverty is within our grasp : Comments

By Tim Costello, published 19/4/2007

Everyday around the world, as many as 30,000 children die simply because they were born into a life of poverty.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Eclipse now,
11 years of conservatism has really cost this great nation in many ways, bring on a new progressive government to tackle the real problems we face.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 23 April 2007 1:02:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed Shonga
Posted by Eclipse Now, Monday, 23 April 2007 1:32:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think many people on this thread need to read Bruce Haighs post as it looks at the causes of povety. Some hard questions need to be answered. Do we invade Zimbabwe and topple Margarbe because he is responsible for the povety there. After all it was quite prosperous before he took over. What action do we take about other nations where poverty is rife because of corruption or bad governance. Do we set up more childrens shelters here to take more children from the familys that are disfunctional.

Where a countries overpopulation is the problem do we insist on a one child policy tied to aid, with sterilization after the first born or introduce compulsory birth control by long term injection.

Sooner or later action has to be taken about population control.

Shonga and Eclipse. I am no fan of either major party here but am interested in just how a progressive party would fix world povety. Last time they were in power they threw money at the aboriginal community and that did not fix their problems.

It is easy to theorize about these things but what about some prcatical ideas?
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 23 April 2007 5:58:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The aboriginal people didnt get the money because a few at the top did their own thing. We should not have treated them any different to the rest of Australians. Somebody should have known they could not manage the money and at least kept tabs on it. We should fix our own aboriginal folk before sending aid to other countries.
Yes to the one child policy- even no child policy if they cant afford a child.
Some tough moves need to be made.
I am sick of the Cathlics telling people that its a sin to have an abortion. We should send a team of people to these countries to provide these sercives and they should be made to take something before they are given anything to stop more kids being born they cant feed. Its criminal and irresposible.
Your comments are stop on
Well at least your thread will spring to live with the pro rights cases.
Really however who was that poular Prime Minister many years ago who warned us about giving aid.
He had the force of the church turn on him but by god Wasnt he right!
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Monday, 23 April 2007 9:26:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Eclipse.. points taken...and agreed mate.PTL.

Pericles, given that I'm apparently the only major critic of Tims salary after your timely post quantifiying it, I assume you are calling me an 'evangelical dog' ?
While you are in 'name calling/changing' mode, I notice also you now declare World Vision a 'business' and not a charity ? Why so ? Could it be that this gives you yet another quasi legitimate opportunity to simply criticize me ?

The facts remain.

1/ Tim made public statements of being "shocked and stunned" when informed about a $160k salary of a CEO of a Uniting Church charity.
2/ Tim is now being paid MORE than that person.
3/ Tim is calling on us to give give give so we can end poverty.

For one who has publically, and as a high profile Christian accepted such a salary is downright dangerous and damaging to his credibility and I cannot see how such a situation will contribute to the growth of donations to WV. 2006 Income was 14% down on 2005.

There is no use you 'declaring' that WV is now a 'business' because
a) It is not, it is a charity.
b) It was founded as a Christian organization and some of my own Bible college peers have had senior positions in it. (b4 the corporate salary stuff)
c) There were (I don't know about now) daily devotions with Staff.

Tim carries the title 'Reverend' and is an ordained minister. Christ taught us to pray for our 'daily' bread, not our tomorrows, simple living is the Biblical hallmark of the Christian.

You don't need $200k to lead an organization of 400, I pointed out we had 950 personel in many countries and the 'ceo' (General Director) received the same as the lowliest missionary.

The Bible says "Stir one another up to good works" and that is what I'm doing. It grieves me that this will simply become one more reason for 'the Church' to be criticized as hypocritical.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 6:31:28 AM
I guess it depends what comes with that salary... was Tim a "big name" that they were buying to lend credibility to their charity cause in an era of charity fatigue?

Remember that as more and more charities and causes have gone up, and life has become increasingly manic and desperately busy, people just don't have time for the 50 thousand charity people trying to spruik their cause in the mall. Aussies are sick of it.

Back when we had the red cross and salvos to deal with a few times a year it was a bunch easier, and people seemed to be more generous. Now it seems that people are just sick and tired of being harassed as they try to go about their business.

(PS: Reminder: SBS 8:30 tonight — why we are heading into the next Greater Depression by about 2012... a few years after the oil crisis hits.)
Posted by Eclipse Now, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 10:42:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy