The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ending poverty is within our grasp > Comments

Ending poverty is within our grasp : Comments

By Tim Costello, published 19/4/2007

Everyday around the world, as many as 30,000 children die simply because they were born into a life of poverty.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Whatever the strategy for achieving sustainability in Africa it has to deal with:-
1. The problem of exponential growth of the human population, and manage this in a way that will be humane and sustainable.
2. Allow for "smart growth" in their standard of living by encouraging New Urbanism, not our car dependent mode of living
3. Not be dependent "too much" on us, because Australia is about to be bankrupted.

Is ANYBODY going to watch "Crude Impact" on Tuesday's SBS movie slot, 8:30 to about 10:30? (With an intermission for the news.) Then try "2013: Oil no more" at 10:30.
Posted by Eclipse Now, Friday, 20 April 2007 5:50:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WORLD VISION OR EXECUTIVE UTOPIA ?

From the World vision Annual report of 2006 we find the exact figures pericles stated.

In an interview with the 7.30 report we have this: (transcript)
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/stories/s139045.htm

TITLE "Controversy over Church charity heads Salary"

KERRY O'BRIEN
Melbourne's Wesley Central Mission today vowed to review the salary package of its controversial superintendent, Reverend Tim Langley, after it was revealed he was earning $160,000 a year, as well as living in a luxury apartment supplied by the Uniting Church.

REV TIM COSTELLO, BAPTIST MINISTER: Look, I was shocked and I think most clergy in the church are dumbstruck. When you have a religious calling, you understand it's about sacrifice and service. You're not in it to make money.

Yet now Tim is being paid MORE than this bloke.

All I can say is hang on a minute old son, doesn't this look a bit odd ?
Sure... Tim SLASHED 'car parking privileges' and 'no more business class travel' for world vision execs,..but... well..hmmm.. "I'm shocked and dumbstruck"

Revenue for WV was down in 2006 by 14% compared to 2005.

BIG 'Christianity' is just as bad as 'BIG' anything. Lets keep to the upper rooms, the lounge rooms, and try to stay in touch with our Lords model.
It seems the roots of World Vision, have been blurred with time. So, it it wants to run a secular show, buy secular bosses, not long time critics of wealth and privilege who happen to be Pastors.

REV TIM COSTELLO: "To be on a salary that is practising and preaching social justice, as the Wesley Mission is, that's that high, is not living consequentially with your own value"

I report....you decide.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 21 April 2007 8:49:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Critical Solutions a Basic Socio-Economic and Cultural Need!

Imagine as Tim says, "what would happen if we invested even part of the defence budget in aid and development instead"

And, what would happen if our defence force joined us (civilians) to face some civic alternatives.

Imagine - IF;

a) We invested more into water and sanitation initiatives and new forms of practical technologies.

b) We did more to distribute more anti-malarial bed nets to malaria regions and anti-retroviral medicines to the millions of HIV-positive people who will otherwise die.

c) We decided to desire diversity through Peace by attending to these kind of Sustainable Development Goals.

d) We realised our need to build community safe objectives as a "Collective Security" - through social, economic, cultural and political action.

I strongly agree that we have "unprecedented opportunity to end world poverty".

This is entirely about our own knowledge and the value of our own humanity.

We must want to Make History of Poverty.

Our failure to act would be the absolute moral failure of a intelligent and prosperous nation.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Saturday, 21 April 2007 8:39:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
here is a wee thought

there are millionaires, and billionaires in EVERY country
and major capital cities of every country

perhaps they should pay tax

JHH
Posted by JHH, Sunday, 22 April 2007 12:16:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, instead of a taxation system designed to create loopholes that the mega-rich can exploit to pay no tax!

Don't forget, no plan for the 3rd world will work unless it deals with the imminent bankruptcy of the first world. "Crude Impact" 8:30 Tuesday night, SBS.
Posted by Eclipse Now, Sunday, 22 April 2007 12:29:48 PM
Hi All
Its not often I go into a thread and see out standing straight forth comment.
This thread is a rare treat. David ou last post was very enjoyable to read and well put.
Like wise Yabbys comments directly above.
I thought You might Like this joke someone sent below.

A man and his wife went on vacation to Jerusalem.
While they were there, the wife passed away.
The undertaker told the husband, "You can have her shipped home for $5000, or you can bury her here, in the Holy Land, for $150."
The man thought about it and told him he would have her shipped home.

The undertaker asked," Why would you spend $5000 to ship your wife home, when it would be wonderful to be buried here and you would spend only $150?"
The man replied," Long ago a man died here, was buried here, and three days later he rose from the dead. I can`t take that risk."
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Sunday, 22 April 2007 3:15:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy