The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Trying to be all things to all people > Comments

Trying to be all things to all people : Comments

By Tony Abbott, published 9/3/2007

Kevin Rudd's problem is not his Christianity but his credibility.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
I can see a bit of irony here - lately Howard, Costello, Abbott et al have all been attacking Rudd rather than the issues.

Can't help but feel most posts here are doing the same thing to Abbott.

I don't like the man one bit - but he does have a point that Rudd is playing both sides of the fence.

What do the other posters think?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 9 March 2007 1:13:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Keiran, Tony Abbott did set up the Australians for Honest Politics. How sad that it soon closed because of its fruitless search for an honest politician. We are expected to forget about these things on polling day.

Is it true that when Tony Abbott walks down the street Al Capone chooses to cross the road and use the other footpath lest his reputation be sullied by being seen with Tony?
Posted by Sage, Friday, 9 March 2007 1:59:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, Tony, for your insightful and helpful article.
Posted by Samdin, Friday, 9 March 2007 2:01:07 PM
In this era of image politics, Rudd would be a fool not to take a leaf out of Howard et al's book and promote a pious image. Politics these days seems to have little to do with policy. To attack the man rather than the party or the policy is also par for the course unfortunately and is, I think, an unintended consequence of image politics.

It would also be foolish of Rudd not to promote his religious leanings as religion has raised its head as an issue since 9/11 and fundamentalists are securing increasing influence in politics.

It makes me uncomfortable, as religion I feel is used as a smokescreen for hardline policies that bear little resemblance to the teachings of Christ. Rudd, however, must play the game.
Posted by Lizzie4, Friday, 9 March 2007 2:11:10 PM
Yes Tony, it is true that Kevin is trying to be more rightous than thou,but "if you live by the sword you must be prepared to die by the sword."
Both you and kevin are self appointed moral judges.
May the best God win.
Posted by BROCK, Friday, 9 March 2007 2:16:07 PM
I think you're right Lizzie, seems it's in vogue for politicians to profess their religious alignment. Rudd is going with the trend.
Maybe by doing it he might negate Howard and Abbotts appeal to the emotional voters a little and get a little rationality back into politics. Wishful thinking i guess.
Posted by Donnie, Friday, 9 March 2007 2:26:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14