The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Trying to be all things to all people > Comments

Trying to be all things to all people : Comments

By Tony Abbott, published 9/3/2007

Kevin Rudd's problem is not his Christianity but his credibility.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Arjay, you're apparently well versed on economic indicators from times gone by and an aspect of the interest rate witch hunt of the late 80s and early 90s interests me.

Do you know what the interest rates were in Margaret Thatcher's Britain at the same time as Australian interest rates spiked under Hawke/Keating? I seem to remember they went over 16 per cent.

If they did, I'd be interested to know how that was the Labor Party's fault since on your analysis (and that of the Federal Government) responsibility rested entirely with the then Australian Government.
Posted by DamienJ, Monday, 12 March 2007 1:07:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kevin Rudd, Tony Abbott et al need to remember that History has struggled valiantly and repeatedly over a very long period to show and teach us that keeping religion out of politics is essential to the maintenance of good government, reliable governance and common sense. Beyond acknowledging that we live in a liberal Christian democracy, and that our citizens should expect to see that belief system and guiding morality as a dominant factor, religion has little to offer the macro management of our community. Indeed, as things stand, we see the central pillars of such morality and belief systems challenged and scorned by politicians on virtually a daily basis - not least by Rudd's own colleagues .......... I reckon politics as we see it has moved well on from religion having any but a token part in the affairs of our nation. Religion has become unattractive to most ordinary people, and is seen as a hollow attempt to console the weak and marshall the emotionally and intellectually vulnerable for self-advancement. I would look with scepticism and tense concern at politicians who are quicker to offer a view of their religious commitment than their spiritual character. To sum up ........ caveat emptor, punters !
Posted by DRW, Monday, 12 March 2007 4:50:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony, my pint sized enemy, if you follow cricket, they say the runs are on the board, re today's poll Rudd 67% approval rate, the ALP at 50% primary vote, it's over not even your God can help you now.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 12 March 2007 7:01:26 PM
Steve Madden,you extrapolate lies with the greatest of ease.NSW State Taxes have not remained constant over their tenure of a dozen yrs.What you espouse is errant and dishonest nonsense.This Carr/Iemma Govt have destroyed the largest most prosperous state in the name of Public service/union self indulgence.People and investment are fleeing this state in droves.Even Morris Iemma acknowledges this in his pathic apology,"We are headed in the right direction."
I stopped supporting Labor when Keating had his love affairs with "banana republics".

You have missed the central drift of my argument.The Coalition Federally have under performed because Labor have been so pathic.They have lowered their standards to that of the opposition.We as an electorate are now considering voting in a second rate Govt just because Howard has been in power too long and the trendies think it is time for change?

There are many areas of policy which the Coalition need to be taken to task on such as their ill planned IR reform,but Labor and their usual platform appeal to our weakness rather than our courage to achieve.Hence Labor,in times of their power,have been marked by poor productivity and poverty.

No ,State taxes in NSW housing have not remained constant as you have alluded to.Land taxes have increased and infrastructure taxes are new.We can give the tag of inept,incompetent economic fools to NSW STINK much like WA INK,but never nationally,in the last 12 yrs to has our economy faltered to that of Paul Keating,"Banana Republic" status.Alias "Placebo Domdingo"

Gough stopped me going to Vietnam,but Keating gave me poverty.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 12 March 2007 10:24:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay,
You can stop the small talk if 67% of the population want the Labor Party & Kevin Rudd, your cause is lost old mate, stop torturing yourself and move on to the reality of a Labor Government federally, as well as in every State which means you are in the minority groups old mate.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 12 March 2007 10:38:17 PM
Ajay interest on a home loan of $150.000 in the last world wide interest rate blow out is fact.
Todays average loan may well be far more than $300.000 for some, John Howard said he would not let this happen.
It is time mate to question the direction of Australian conservatism, a black hole of voter discontent awaits you.
It is true that it will be found to be warmer than you expect Labor has only left it in the last six months.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 12 March 2007 11:07:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All