The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terrorism as a disease > Comments

Terrorism as a disease : Comments

By Jeremy Ballenger, published 12/3/2007

Instead of regarding terrorism as an ideological bent, it may be better to regard it more as a communicable disease.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
We now live in a multi-dimensional quantum world(we always did) in which everything is quite literally interconnected. This quantum world operates by the laws of pyscho-physics: for every action there is alawys and inevitably an equal and opposite reaction or manifestation.
Our dreadfully sane normal world is awash with weapons of all kinds, especially WMD's.The politics and "culture" of fear rules! Dreadfully sane peace loving America accounts for 48% of the worlds armements trade. It has over 700 foreign military bases and 13 nuclear air craft carrier attack fleets.
I am not saying the USA is the only gulity party--it is certainly the biggest bully on the block. I read something the other day that the USA is even working on a new generation of hydrogen bombs. That action will inevitably produce a counter response.
Perhaps then, as a result of the laws of psycho-physics mentioned above, terrorists spontaneously spring up like mushrooms in the all enveloping darkness of the worlds collective pysche?

Also in my opinion terrorists are possessed by an unfathomably deep anger at both mum and dad. They are dramatising their unresolved OEDIPAL dramas on to the world stage in spectacular fashion.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 12 March 2007 9:11:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ho Hum,
You said:
"Also in my opinion terrorists are possessed by an unfathomably deep anger at both mum and dad. They are dramatising their unresolved OEDIPAL dramas on to the world stage in spectacular fashion"

People do not become radicalised because they have personal unresolved conflicts with their mum and dad. The radical divide has an economic nature. People are radicalised when they encounter others who display a lack of empathy, sympathy and failure to intellectually grasp the obvious connection between one's own personal activities/economic benefits with the poverty (both emotional and economic) suffered by others. It cannot be denied, however, that resentment does breed terrorists.
Posted by vivy, Monday, 12 March 2007 1:01:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have sources of inspiration re my claim about OEDIPAL dramatisation. I will refer to one.Is anyone familiar with the Psycho-History school "invented" by Lloyd deMause and the associated work of Alice Miller.
DeMause and his many colleagues give a very convincing case re the roots of terrorism and ALL forms of violence. The roots being sustained childhood abuse.I used to read the Psycho-History Review in the Melbourne University library---very disturbing stuff altogether. For an excellent example Google Reagans America Psycho History.

Alice Miller was/is inspired by deMause and her own independent work. Her book on toxic child rearing practices titled FOR YOUR GOOD is well worth a read.In it describes/explains how Hilter came to power on the suppressed collective rage of the German people. She also gives a fascinating description of how almost everything that Hitler did was a projection of the deep emotional/psychic wounds of his horrible childhood. She does the same for the former Romanian dictator/tyrant Cecesceau (or whatever).
Another book worth checking out is Spare the Child by Philip Greven which again gives a disturbing description of the toxic child rearing practices of USA "conservative" Christians.

Another source of mine points out that our normal dreadful sanity is incredibly limited. He uses the metaphor of an iceberg, the massive bulk of which is below the surface.He points out that we are stick figures running around on the tip pretending that we are in charge. But in Reality both our individual & collective lives are moved by deep unconscious forces, many of which are murderous in their intent.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 12 March 2007 3:01:39 PM
Ballenger doesn't appear to twig that the very mechanism by which he is able to spread his ideas is also the revolutionary vector for the terrorist micro-organisms. The free web gives this age-old plague a an extraordinary boost. The only remedy would appear to be restrictions on the freedom of web users - i.e. effective regulation. What a surprise (to the techn-ostrich fraternity).
Dan
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Monday, 12 March 2007 3:17:33 PM
The Author suggested a list of points supporting the contention that epidemiology might be a useful approach to understanding and countering ‘terrorism’.

· describe clinical patterns;
· identify risk factors for developing a radical element in the community;
· identify causes or determinants of radicalization;

I have to agree to a point. But in the realm of international relations, risk factors for creating terrorists at home may be simply exercising the sovereign right to defend one’s nation by taking out hotbeds of anti “you” training camps. If this is in another country, such as Afghanistan, and it is perceived by people of the same religious faith in OUR country as an attack on that shared religious faith, then we have a very high risk of terrorist actions.

In U.K. it was purely

a) Shared religious faith
b) Perception of attack on that faith in other countries
which moved certain Muslims to feel a responsibility to express their solidarity with their overseas religious brothers by attacking their own Government.

So, contrary to Vivys sincere post, the evidence is, that at least in regard to Islamic terrorism, poverty is not the link, though in Sri Lanka I could accept this understanding in part.

INNOCULATION is always the best approach to communicable diseases. If we have the seirum, lets use it.
I believe the best innoculation against Islamic terrorism is education about its true nature.

HISTORY_EDUCATION
Muslims in Australia, will hardly appreciate our concerns unless they see history as we see it. They prefer to see history as their victimization. The freedom they have in the West, is due to .....

-Battle of Tours 732
-Battle of Vienna 1650s
-Crusades.
-Dismantling of the Ottoman Empire.
-Defeat of the Nazi’s, (in league with Mufti of Jerusalem against Jews) and Japanese.

Until Muslims can share our sense of gratitude to Charlemaigne (Tours) and Count Strobiesky,(Vienna) and the Allies, they will always see us as oppressors who stole “their” lands.

We can never allow political correctness to hold us back from uniform, compulsory history teaching ‘from our viewpoint’ in ALL schools, religious or State.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 12 March 2007 3:46:26 PM
I have to hand it to you for having a sense of humour above and beyond the call of reason, Boaz.

>>Muslims in Australia, will hardly appreciate our concerns unless they see history as we see it. They prefer to see history as their victimization. The freedom they have in the West, is due to ...[etc] Until Muslims can share our sense of gratitude to Charlemaigne (Tours) and Count Strobiesky,(Vienna) and the Allies, they will always see us as oppressors who stole “their” lands<<

Face it Boaz, this is like telling Irish Catholics that they should be grateful that they were so thoroughly humiliated by King William at the Battle of the Boyne. They owe their freedom to it, even.

Or like telling Boers that if the British hadn't invented the concentration camp and imprisoned their women and children in them, forcing them to surrender and become British colonies, their descendants would not have enjoyed the economic miracle that was South Africa under British rule. (ahem)

Hey, it's like telling the Incas that they should damn well be grateful that Pizarro annihilated them at Cajamarca, 'cos Peru's freedom began right there.

History is in the past, Boaz.

We are all a composite of many, many strands, both at the macro level of the little fishy who came out of the water and walked, and the micro level of who were our parents and which town they came from.

You cannot, without descending into farce, select a couple of battles out of the countless thousands that have been fought throught the ages, and attribute to them some kind of special power.

The world doesn't work that way.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 12 March 2007 4:35:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy