The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Iraq war is irretrievably lost > Comments

The Iraq war is irretrievably lost : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 23/2/2007

Soon we will be rid of Bush, Blair and Howard. It will take a lot longer to repair the immense damage their rash adventurism in Iraq has done.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The war in Iraq is lost because as soon as the Americans pull out the so called Iraqi forces will probably split up along tribal lines and rejoin their brothers in the civil war.

One option that comes to mind although I dont advocate it and want the troops bought home is this.
Maybe the Americans could do a deal with the Sunnis and hand government in Iraq back to them in return for cooperation between the two countries in the future. Thats how the country was before the invasion, under the control of the less religiously fanatic Sunnis who seemed to allow the Shiites to practice their form of religion freely. The Shiites however will want to make the Sunnis confrom to Shari law.

This would mean that the USA would effectively then be supporting one side in the civil war against the other. This is what the Ceasers might have done but of course they didnt have to contend with world opinion or the mothers who want their sons home (and who can blame them for that) A soldiers life meant little to the Ceasers their objective was to win and they did, but the American generals always have to consider world opinion first. This doesnt win wars.

If Western schools taught that tribes are dangerously territorial then maybe Bush and Co would have understood how this war would end stop teaching fairytales in our schools.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 25 February 2007 3:51:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All the above left wing trodglodytes are in denial.The US has kept Muslim Middle Eastern Nations divided so world oil prices remain a low at competitive prices.Iraq was only a mistake for the US in that they assumed a feral Muslim country would embrace democracy.It has to be an evolutionary process.

I can only assume by the left's disapproval and hate of the United States is that they are quite happy for the rest of the world to pay high prices for their energy and so we will all live in total poverty.

Not one of the above so called ludites will debate myself on this reality.They are just a bunch of hypocrites in denial.Thank God for the US because the world would be on total chaos without them.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 25 February 2007 6:08:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
johnj,
AWB went private july 1991. Iraq war began mar 2003. The Cole inquiry nov. 2005 was based on allegations arriving from the U.N.s Paul Volcker's report, released in October 2005 of AWB paying kickbacks to Saddam in exchange for trouble-free transport of wheat purchased under the Oil for food program. Not, I repeat not, about any U.N. resolution.
Like many others on this site you take free advantage with the facts to support your personal political bent.
Posted by aqvarivs, Sunday, 25 February 2007 8:59:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
aqvarivs, you said the UN Oil for Food Program was "not, I repeat not, about any U.N. resolution."

I hate to be a party pooper, but the program was established under UN Security Council Resolution 986. The full text may be found here http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N95/109/88/PDF/N9510988.pdf?OpenElement The resolution says in part "that all States shall take any steps that may be necessary under their respective domestic legal systems to ... ensure that the proceeds of the sale are not diverted from the purposes laid down in this resolution". i.e. Australia as a member of the UN was expected to ensure that the program wasn't rorted. AWB delivered $300 million to Sadam. The fact that AWB was privatised has nothing to do with the fact that the Australian government failed to take "any steps that may be necessary" (or any steps at all) in overseeing the program.

I note that you believe I "take free advantage with (sic) the facts to support your personal political bent." Perhaps if you spent more effort checking YOUR facts and less in hurling illiterate insults I might agree with you.
Posted by Johnj, Monday, 26 February 2007 7:38:16 PM
If the Iraqi people were advanced enough to see beyond their religious spite and embrace democracy,George Bush and John Howard would be heroes,but alas their society have not evolved to a plane to match that of the West,therefore George Bush and John Howard are elevated to the status of terrorists.

Just typical left wing tunnel vision.Either we agree with their perfect tunnel ideology or suffer their wrath of hateful vengence.There are no grey areas of compromise or room for broader visions of how the real world operates.They are just really pathetic.Victim status is the ruse of cowards,who seek rewards without effort.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 26 February 2007 9:32:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay,
The Leftists who so hate the west can only survive in the niche liberal, western societies have created for them.
In the unlikely event they succeed in emasculating western society, they will sound their own death knell, since no other society -not radical Islam - nor communism ( in any of its permutations) will put up with them …

Chairman Mao’s sending the “intellectuals” to the countryside was a great cure for trendy leftism
Posted by Horus, Monday, 26 February 2007 10:42:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy