The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia Day - kiss the flag > Comments

Australia Day - kiss the flag : Comments

By Clifton Evers, published 25/1/2007

Politicians have failed to listen to Australian youth’s concerns about a deeper set of social, political, and cultural problems that are besetting them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
CJMorgan

Does an academic writing on political or cultural issues need creative storytelling and characters to scold or applaud to put across his views? However if it is a work of fiction why not be frank about it? Better still, put the opinion forward as his alone and provide the 'pros and cons' with any known limitations.

When you exhort others to comment on the content of the article, do you mean they should follow your example - as in your enthusiastic barracking and 'bring it on' response early in this thread (25 Dec 9:32:25 am)?
Posted by Cornflower, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 9:15:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cornflower: "Does an academic writing on political or cultural issues need creative storytelling and characters to scold or applaud to put across his views? However if it is a work of fiction why not be frank about it?"

I think it is a shoddy debating tactic to accuse an author of fabrication, on no other basis than that you apparently don't like what he's written. That the article is anecdotal is in no way inappropriate for this forum, where the genre is commonplace.

I'm beginning to detect a certain unwholesome consistency to Cornflower's posts to this forum. I wouldn't be surprised if s/he was some kind of apparatchik to a right wing politician or think tank.

However, since s/he posts here under a pseudonym, that must remain conjecture for now - although not quite as much so as Cornflower's imputation of fabrication to the author of the article under discusssion.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 2:01:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The incidence of "kiss my flag" may not be left, right or centre. They could have easily been right wing ALP voters, who knows?

This is an issue of behaviour rather than politics. I don't think we are questioning the flag here. Well, I guess I chucked in a few ironic twists that the flat at the time of the Settlement was the British Union Flag since the Australian flag didn't exist then. But that does not mean that I am against the Australian flag itself per se.

I choose not to celebrate the transportation of my ancestors as convicts or slaves, that is my choice, my freedom.

Look at some other views of Australian Convicts:

"You're the convicts over there" The balmy army

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCRmxG31y8w

Sheikh Hilali's Egypt speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIJPaOt79T8

Their insensitive comments refuse to consider the context of British history. The authorities were so insecure about revolution after they lost America, they sentenced stool pigeons as an example of an iron will at the Old Bailey. The sentencing, was on the ability to build a colony.

The 1780s were unjust, fake, or trumped up Mad King's an agenda to colonize using cheap slave labour.

I mentioned moderation over nationalistic insanity as it can lead to a snowballing effect of ugliness, which we don't need in Australia. The Cronulla riots should be a wake-up call. That makes no apology for Australian dignity. I won't say pride, as pride is the worst of the seven deadly sins, and needs to be checked regularly.

Interesting BOAZ, you forgot the French. If Arthur Phillip and his colony were not here, I wonder if La Peruse from France would have hoisted the French flag. This could have been a French colony for a while, but it could also be likely that the Americans could have bought the whole place from France as part of the "Louisiana Purchase". This is very hypothetical. So is the argument that we could have been claimed by Spain or even Portugal.

All of these countries now have a "Bill of Rights" and we don't.
Posted by saintfletcher, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 6:29:00 PM
Dear Boaz,
I find your article simplistic, Britain did not "create" a nation, a nation was already created long before colonisation. The colonisers just chose to ignore, disrespect and deny Aboriginal people their rights. That is why the legal doctrine "terra nullius", meaning empty continent, land belonging to no-one, was fought in the courts by Edddie Mabo and many other Aboriginal people.

I find it always interesting that people in their arguments say "what if", Boaz I don't argue "what ifs", I argue on reality, Australia was colonised by the British, end of story, certainly other countries traded with Aboriginal people before colonisation, but chose not to stay.

And as for making the presumption that I do not want to blend or embrace other cultures, you have just made wild assumptions, as I can assure you that my family is well blended. I just believe in basic respect, and not forced policies of assimilation. Especially when it is expected of one race of people but not another.

And in all honesty I don't see why we should all have to assimilate, because I love difference, and yes, difference can happen, Australia has been a multicultural society since the 70s, when it got rid of the White Australia Policy, I do not understand why people carry on as though multiculturism is a new or recent concept.

To me to be an Australian is not about who was here after Aboriginal people, it's about respecting each other as Australians for our unique difference and respecting the original people no matter how small or insignificant you may think our voices may be. Australia is a multicultural society and maybe we just have to respect and embrace our unique differences as Australians and listen to many voices instead of one.
Posted by Quayle, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 7:16:29 PM
CJMorgan

You appear quick to take offense but you have yet to understand what I am talking about.

To put it another way, storytelling may be a useful persuasive tool for priests and politicians and there are reasons why this is so, but an academic should be wary of it. My opinion (to which I am entitled) is that the article became an over-spiced mix because storytelling gave the author licence to throw in whatever he felt like (rather, whatever he disliked). To me, the artifice became more apparent than the argument. A bit like the opera singer's technique showing.

If you don't like that then so be it because you are entitled to your opinions too, but that is no excuse for name-calling and abuse.
Posted by Cornflower, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 7:20:46 PM
Cornflower - I remind you that it was you who has come closest to engaging in personal "name-calling and abuse" in this thread, by imputing that Clifton Evers had fabricated elements of his excellent, if anecdotal article.

The only name I've called you is "Cornflower", and I certainly haven't abused you. Unless, perhaps, if you're a "xenophobe, racist or religious nutter", but we haven't seen much indication of that :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 7:39:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy