The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Barack Obama - a man to inspire America? > Comments

Barack Obama - a man to inspire America? : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 22/1/2007

Book review: Barack Obama, 'The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
If Oprah gives Barak Obama her imprimatur that's good enough for me.
Posted by Sage, Monday, 22 January 2007 10:10:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's hope the American public has more sense than to vote for someone recommended by Oprah! The mind boggles when one thinks of the possibility of the American commander-in-Chief being someone who spent four years at a madrassa in Indonesia, probably funded by Saudi Arabia which espouses Wahhabi fundamentalism, with non-Muslims having no rights.
Mr Obama no doubt found it expedient to be a "Christian" in America. He attends a church but is not a regular attender. That of course may be due to the fact that as a Senator he moves around quite a lot. It would be interesting to know if he attends other churches at those times and if he has a genuine Christian commitment.
He is pro-choice which puts him in Hilary Clinton's camp, but will be a negative factor with a lot of voters. He has a number of questions to answer.
Posted by fairgo, Monday, 22 January 2007 11:13:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fairgo?! now theres a contradiction in terms.....i suggest you get a new pseudonym!

I for one would much rather see President Obama than President H. Clinton! For the record Fairgo, Obama spent his years growing up between Boston, Hawaii, Africa and Indonesia. He's about as fundamentalist as you and I- lately known for getting irritated with reporters for snapping him in board shorts and nothing else.

He's perhaps the best hope America has of quelling some of the hatred that the third world espouses for the U.S (rightly or wrongly)
Posted by wre, Monday, 22 January 2007 11:43:15 AM
Fairgo. Evidently you see his time in Indonesia as a negative - some kind of taint.
I see it as the exact opposite. The mistakes made by the current administration have often been due to a lack of understanding - of trying to apply simple solutions to complex problems.
Perhaps the fact that Obama has spent some time overseas, living amongst different people will mean he has a stronger understanding of a wider range of people.
Put simply, Obama is a worldly individual - I personally don't believe this can be said of Bush. On a personal level, I suspect his understanding of other cultures is somewhat lacking.

I can't help but wonder what exactly would be the problem with Obama spending time in Indonesia and having experience of the Islam faith.
It isn't as if he would be able to proselytise the American public, and if he tried to make decisions along those lines he would be castigated with a vengeance. What exactly is the issue? Can you actually see him trying to institute wahabbism in America?

I would love nothing more than to see Obama in the white house, though I doubt it will happen... He's perceived as inexperienced. That is what will cost him.
I just hope Clinton takes him on as Vice President. Now there'd be an interesting combination.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 22 January 2007 11:46:15 AM
Perhaps it would be preferable if Obama ran for Indonesian presidency, it appears he would be just as suitable as the next.
But the Americans are so used to voting for who ever has the prettiest face, that nothing would surprise me. "If Oprah says so, so must it be"
Posted by mickijo, Monday, 22 January 2007 12:52:49 PM
It's of no consequence, Hillary will be the next prez.
Posted by spendocrat, Monday, 22 January 2007 1:43:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy