The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can democracy survive George W. Bush? > Comments

Can democracy survive George W. Bush? : Comments

By Jan De Pauw, published 19/1/2007

President George W. Bush's legacy is far from inconsequential, but far from detrimental - his tenure as a 'war president' may even help invigorate democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I appreciated the clear way in which this article laid down reasons to keep faith with the inherent checks and balances of the American system.In fact I came to the end very thoughtfully and almost ready to adopt a cautious form of optimism.

But then, like Yabby, I found it impossible to push to the back of my mind the way in which GW came to power in the first place. The failure not only of the checks and balances of the system, but of the attempts of the people themselves to prevent this from happening continues to erode the optimism I would much prefer to adopt.
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 20 January 2007 10:09:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Could all the OLO readers vote in a replacement for the USA?

Name your choice of country that may be willing and able to enforce the next repetitive & impotent UN resolutions.

China?
Russia?
France?
Canada?
Poland?
Italy?
Bosnia?
Cuba?
Iran?
North Korea?
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Monday, 22 January 2007 12:13:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very interesting article.

Main problem with the US political system is, aside from the two main parties, it is impossible for another party to obtain a seat in congress.

I have no idea what Cowboy Joe is going on about, but it seems to be off the topic.
Posted by David Latimer, Monday, 22 January 2007 1:10:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David,

Agree. Same as here in Australia isn't it? Two parties, money controls power.

I notice Hillary Clinton has made her announcement, prompted by Senator Barack Obama's earlier move. Both democrats yet Hillary is reported to already have a warchest of $13 million, just to win the Democrat job.

Interesting situation for the US. Given Bush's shambles it would seem the Democrats are in the box seat, far out from election but who will the Republicans come up with? McCain seems likely.

So the Democrats have an African American and a female candidate as frontrunners at this time. Very interesting but as written the choice is limited to the rich and the voter numbers are poor.

What does Australia have? The Coalition with their record to stand on. Interest rates appear to be fading fast as a plus for Howard and of course he has no policy on Iraq. It'll be just George and the Aussies shortly as Blair starts to pull back from there.

Has Labor a real chance this time? I'm starting to think so.

Add in Turnbull's insanity re adding a "temporary" block to the Murray River to conserve Adelaide's drinking water. I think it was $140 million mentioned. And at last, floods north of Adelaide. May save the destruction the Turnbull plan would create in the longer term.
Posted by RobbyH, Monday, 22 January 2007 11:31:01 AM
On the contrary it goes to the core of the discussion. David said

"media has pointed the Fox inspired finger at Iran and Korea for the Atomic clock movement. More widely read opinion points where it belongs. At George's bunch of $ oriented morons."

The in-adequateness of USA policies and actions are being enumerated ... so which country will be available to take their place? Please post your vote.

Australia's democracy is definitely far superior as our left wing media will vilify both the membership and candidates of populist movements and then the citizenry will allow a state government to throw the leading figures of the emerging political party in gaol. That is real democracy after all.

Recent revelations have shown that our federal government knew that Australian journalists were executed by Indonesian troops and then lied to the populace about the facts.

In reality the two party system in the US encompasses a wide range of philosophies within one party, for example Southern Democrats who occasionally behave as if they were Republicans and Californian Republicans who sometimes behave as if they are Republican. George B has been criticised by his own supporters for doing nothing about illegal Mexican immigration, just as we would expect our Labor party to do if the same situation existed here.
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Monday, 22 January 2007 2:14:40 PM
Response to RobbyH:
I don't think it is the same in Australia. There are three major parties, and three minor parties with legislative influence.

The Liberals and Nationals are in coalition. The Greens, Democrats, One Nation and Family First have all managed to obtain seats in the Senate. They do have the opportunity to win lower house seats and preferences do offer indirect influence. It is therefore possible for a minor party to build up support over several years and win power. This is more evident at the state govt level.

Response to Cowboy Joe:
You have misquoted me. I never said that. And you are confusing George Bush and/or the executive administration with the United States. If someone criticises Geroge Bush, they are not trying to "replace" the United States with another country. Let's not be flippant.
Posted by David Latimer, Monday, 22 January 2007 3:42:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy