The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A refugee’s story > Comments

A refugee’s story : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 8/1/2007

A measured and moving piece (regardless of one's views on the refugee issue), with a wholly unexpected punch-line. Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Nice to hear, aside from the car crash. Sad that after so many trials and tribulations the tale reached such a hollow conclusion, but I suppose that is life. Perhaps someday Australia will learn a few things from its southern neighbour when it comes to refugee processing. How New Zealand can handle refugee applications in short order while Australia leaves people languishing in camps is beyond me, and the clearest evidence that such camps are motivated purely by political reasons.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 8 January 2007 1:17:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew....what are you really saying here ?

Are you simply trying to damage Howard, promote Dems relevance? (lost cause mate) stick up for 'poor refugees' ?

I'm always cynical about politicians who latch onto controversial issues and seek to make political capital out of them. Its like the person who waves his $100 dollar note around before giving it to the poor.... so he will BE NOTICED.

No amount of bleeding heart-ism will change the crucial fact of the incompatablity of Muslims as a community with Australia. This should be reflected in a seriously specific selection policy for both refugees and immigrants which takens this fundamental incompatability into account. They should be processed compassionately and then sent on to a country of cultural/religious compatability.

Individually they are very nice people.. mostly, BUT..as a "community" this is what they can be like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_kyNIevsIs
and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=Y85IfOBl_a4
and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiu26Mo_UBo&feature=RecentlyWatched&page=1&t=t&f=b

The UN Court of Human Rights found that

["nothing obliged States to tolerate the existence of political parties that sought the destruction of democracy and the rule of law."] http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/70716

...and any group which is fundamentally political (which Islam is) and which seeks to usurp our law and replace it with Sharia law is not welcome here.

Would your Muslim friend be willing to defend Australia to the point of killing a Muslim invader ? Hardly, their religion forbids it.
So, while they might be lovable people, and deserving of compassion, we are also deserving of the right to preserve our freedom and values and that means they will be better off in a Muslim country.

Australia will only 'be' Australia as we know it, if we preserve it.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 8 January 2007 1:44:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What am I really saying here?!

Gee, I think I'm saying I met a really nice guy who along with his wife and young children were put through absolute hell for no good reason, and it's a terrible shame that he got killed just when they finally got the chance to have a secure and safe future. What the hell do you think I was saying?

do you prefer politicians who assist people in need and try to ensure they are treated fairly or ones who just look after their own interests, pander to prejudice, reinforce ignorance and use taxpayers' money to buy themselves votes (no need to answer that - it's already pretty clear)

As for 'compatibility', as my piece and the various articles it linked to all showed, Ali was a fantastic asset to Australia and widely admired by many people who met him. Under your criteria, that would count for nothing, solely because of his (presumed) religious beliefs. I don't know what type of Australia you're trying to 'preserve', but that sure doesn't sound like any Australia I've ever known.

You're a sad individual David. Your hatred of Muslims is matched only by your ignorance of Islam.
Posted by AndrewBartlett, Monday, 8 January 2007 3:08:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew, in your travels have you ever been to the terminal ward at Westmead Children's Hospital? Have you listened to the tragic story of the family who watch their 6-year-old son slowly slipping away? Have you offered comfort to that family? Perhaps you told that family that you'd ask the prime minister to pledge more money for medical research.

Have you visited any of the 105,304 homeless Australians and told them that you'd take up their cause and lobby the government to find more digs for those in need?

In 1998, of the 2683 Australian suicides, 446 were in the 15-24-year-old age group. Are you working tirelessly to reduce that figure?

Andrew, in 1996-7 supported accommodation was sought by 21,000 Australian women fleeing domestic violence. An estimated 12,000 children accompanied those women. Are you helping out in any way to patch up those broken relationships and offer hope to those families?

Andrew, it seems there is plenty of work here in Australia for those who want to do good deeds.
Posted by Sage, Monday, 8 January 2007 4:13:54 PM
I was one of the compilers of BBP2006, and this was one of the pieces that came across my in-tray, and that I recommended to Ken Parish and Nick Gruen.

FTR, I disagree with Andrew's take on the refugee issue, but that didn't stop me recommending this piece for the final cut. Why? It's a great piece of writing. It tells an elemental story that rises above politics. And it reminds all of us of our mortality. The tag-line I wrote for it - "A measured and moving piece (regardless of one's views on the refugee issue), with a wholly unexpected punch-line" - was designed to defuse any silliness. Clearly, I failed in that aim.

Australia had its refugee debate over the Tampa, and the electorate spoke its mind. It's now time to drop the politics and appreciate Andrew's piece for what it is.
Posted by skepticlawyer, Monday, 8 January 2007 5:01:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee whiz Sage thats a bit harsh on poor old AB isnt it?

The man is out there in the community everyday pushing his leftist agenda on us the unsuspecting majority? Poor bugger, still with the weight of having to pander to every grubby minority group while selling out his constituents and the added task of shafting the blue collars in his electorate through bringing more unskilled immigrants, he might have a tough time getting up to the childrens ward although im sure he does around election time.

ABs probably not a bad bloke its just a pity him and his ilk dont find the ordinary people, think AUSSIE, as a cause instead of the woolly, black armband, civil liberties kind of cause more to his Bollinger caviar tastes. Just doesnt sound as good at dinner parties does it Andy.
Posted by SCOTTY, Monday, 8 January 2007 5:16:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy