The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Moral responsibility and citizenship > Comments

Moral responsibility and citizenship : Comments

By Helen Irving, published 22/12/2006

Citizenship does not make a person virtuous, and being a non-citizen does not make a person morally suspect.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Not to worry Coach, John H has been recruiting extra ASIO staff, and more to come. Purpose? To monitor both the Chinese and Muslim communities. Perhaps you could ask that their use of language be monitored also. Although it will be anyway so don't panic.

Could I refer this quote from Martin Niemoller for your consideration :

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

At what stage will you and others like you try to speak up on behalf of others?
Posted by RobbyH, Thursday, 28 December 2006 5:51:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
RobbyH

this is well said just like most here and most of the australian people

Could I refer this quote from Martin Niemoller for your consideration :

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

At what stage will you and others like you try to speak up on behalf of others?

For myself I am trying its just getting others behind it.

Email:swulrich@bigpond.net.au

Australian Peoples Party
Posted by tapp, Thursday, 28 December 2006 7:11:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Frank Gol:
“The UN is the least of our worries. Over the past decade it has been ineffectual in asserting moral or any other sort of leadership in a range of crises notably in the Middle East”

I disagree, the UN has been ineffectual in places like Sudan because they tell it to go shove-it ,& its intelligentsia see few benefits & much danger in siding with outside bodies (other than Al-Qaeda)

But in ‘progressive’ western nations there are multitudes of career-minded judges & politicians -who coveting positions in UN bodies & NGOs, are all too eager to commit us to UN covenants & use them openly, or surreptiously if necessary, as templates for legislation & decisions.

To RobbyH & Tapp:
Martin Niemoller's quote, variation in B major, performed by his Honour Justice High Principle & his orchestra of lobby groups:

When John Doe arrived illegally & without papers - I spoke up-citing our obligation under the UN refugee conventions.
When police said they suspected John Doe of mixing with illegal organisations -I spoke up- citing his freedom of association
When John Doe was arrested with illegal fire arms - I spoke up- citing it as an example of racial profiling & victimisation & had the case dismissed
But when John Doe blew-up central railway station killing hundreds -I was a home in my high security mansion sipping chardonnay, listening to Mahler -I said nothing - I am above counseling widows & orphans…
Posted by Horus, Friday, 29 December 2006 1:59:41 PM
Horus

It took me a few minutes but i got it you are actually alexandra downer and you are talking about awb.

Its all ok when fighting for rights but if you do not do your homework then as you have quoted you much prefer to deny all liability.

Now you have to be a hipocrite that wont stand for the rights of oneself, your family,your children or the future due to being scared if you have made a mistake.

Well your mistake is not standing up and just waiting for everyone else to do it for you.

ChrisC if you are still around email me If you dont like what i have to say when i email then that is ok.Have not had problems with anyone else.

Email:swulrich@bigpond.net.au

You may just be suprised, all you have to do is be honest and straight forward with me no catches.
Posted by tapp, Friday, 29 December 2006 2:59:11 PM
Horus, you have it. Someone has the inner fortitude to say what most of think.
Australia should have ONE set of laws that apply to every citizen. Citizenship should [in this day and age] be made conditional.
If the new citizen breaks his/her oath, citizenship should automatically be withdrawn and expulsion follow with no appeal.
We have a great country with freedom known by few. We wish to keep it that way for every one.
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 30 December 2006 10:42:00 AM
Isn't it interesting how the right wingers like to caress each when they celebrate consensus /agreement here on OLO. A kind of erotic ideological orgy of congratulatory fondling. You can almost hear them panting.
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 30 December 2006 9:56:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All