The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Stefan Nystrom and 'The Kafka Principle' > Comments

Stefan Nystrom and 'The Kafka Principle' : Comments

By Paul Bamford, published 15/12/2006

Technically Swedish, Stefan Nystrom’s pending deportation will be perfectly lawful, but is it just a case of Australia exporting its problems?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
What a load of nonsense!
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 15 December 2006 9:22:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You guessed it Leigh,
It is ME! - I do agree -
Stefan should stay here -

Haiku to you too.

Some times i even annoy myself
Posted by sneekeepete, Friday, 15 December 2006 9:37:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A bit rough on the Swedes.
But it is not the first time we have sent our social problems overseas at the expense of the recipient nation.
For example, a grossly unsuitable candidate for ambassadorial rank was sent to Ireland in the mid-1970's.
But, the undoubtedly civilised Irish Republic seem to have forgiven us for the bad joke of sending them ex-senator Vince Gair; so it might be possible for an equally civilised nation like Sweden to extend us forgiveness - eventually.
Yes, it is a pity about current reinforcement of the practice of exporting the cost of our social problems for others to bear.
Posted by colinsett, Friday, 15 December 2006 9:56:30 AM
The law can be tough, and this one is pretty much black and white. You are either a citizen or you aren't. Nystrom, who I assume has Swedish citizenship, as well as others in this predicament like the Serb Robert Jovicic have been deemed a high risk of recidivism.

Where do we draw the line though. These laws assume that a migrant would certainly obtain citizenship ASAP, but in these cases it has been neglected by both parents and individuals.

Any backdown by the government as a humanitarian gesture would certainly have to be accompanied with the threat of "immediate deportation for even so much as a parking fine - no if's or buts or exceptions".

It begs the question, do rapists deserve a humanitarian gesture?
Posted by Narcissist, Friday, 15 December 2006 12:58:55 PM
Mr Nystrom might end up on the mean streets of Switzerland without having any language skills. However, when disparate groups – lacking language skills - are sent to countries like Switzerland it’s seen as a noble humanitarian act on the part of Switzerland to take them in. Can’t shop? Can’t speak our language? Trouble handling our money? Having trouble adapting to our culture? Want to know the closest school for your kids? We’ll acquaint you with all that and more say Swiss authorities to new arrivals. Given the expertise of the Swiss authorities in dealing with hundreds of newcomers I can’t see them baulking at Mr Nystrom (one individual) and his shortcomings.

Notwithstanding the oversupply of compassion of Amanda Vanstone is there a law or custom which says she can’t apply that compassion to the citizens of Australia. Is it right to send Mr X off to work knowing that people like Mr Nystrom are lurking about just waiting for the chance to get their grubby hands on Mr X’s stereo, jewellery, cash, mower, and anything that isn’t nailed down? Perhaps the removal of Mr Nystrom might be seen by the long suffering public as a compassionate act. What chance the public might be tiring of being robbed, mugged, preyed upon, unwilling to use public transport once the sun goes down, and other nasties?

Just how can we build confidence in the law if it is to be applied capriciously? For instance, black letter law slams the door shut on some poor slob because of the circumstantiality of his or her case. The law allows no compassion. However, when a case comes along and black letter law is applied the call goes up for compassion and understanding
Posted by Sage, Friday, 15 December 2006 4:24:43 PM
Sage,

Your argument might carry some weight if it weren't so obvious that you haven't really read the article. If Stefan Nystrom is deported it will be to Sweden, not to Switzerland.

I also made it pretty clear that I'm not calling on Amanda Vanstone to show compassion - for me the question is should Vanstone have this power at all.
Posted by Paul Bamford, Friday, 15 December 2006 6:03:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy