The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mal monstered at Mutitjulu - any wonder? > Comments

Mal monstered at Mutitjulu - any wonder? : Comments

By Graham Ring, published 4/12/2006

Indigenous Australians want a fair go - not presents of beads, mirrors or police stations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
It’s interesting that you should refer to fiduciary obligations – but you do so only insofar as it refers to a right of Brough to visit communities. Rights of fiduciary obligation actually refer to government’s having a duty to provide equitable services to all citizens, highlighted by good faith, loyalty and trust. I’ve yet to see any good faith coming from Brough.

Yes he entitled to see how well those disincentives and funding withdrawals his government has instigated on the most disadvantaged people in Australia - and this Sir - is your only argument.

And democratically speaking - Indigenous people have the same right to dissent as other Australians. You appear to have some problems understanding this.

Whether Liberal or Labor I always wonder why they pick people like Brough to be the Indigenous affairs Minister. They are usually weird people, no prior experience or knowledge of Aboriginal people and like yourself don’t seem to know or care about what they ‘don’t know’. These communities are not there to be a training ground for people like Brough. They should know or have the intellectual capacity to grasp the complexities at hand. Leadership requires one to have a perspective on the positive as well as negative. Brough is clearly shell shocked about what he does not know – just like you.

Lastly, I and others here can see through your thin veil of concern for Aboriginal
people as nothing more than a backdoor approach to playing the blame game.

My insults to you are far-outweighed by your astounding ignorance of the facts. If you don’t know anything why not engage with this ignorance rather than defend it?

Mal B monsters communities because he’s clearly inadequate for the job
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 6:56:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier

Blaming it all on the governments past and present lets everyone off the hook, huh?

As you very well know, my reference to fiduciary responsibility concerned managers and others who have been devolved responsibility, especially as regards the management of affairs of local communities.

What is so wrong with asking for indigenous governance to be improved? After all, the safety of people and 'leakage' millions of dollars of taxpayers money are involved.

It is an indisputable fact that the elders and other older men of some communities have indulged in continuing campaigns of violence against women and youth. They are also implicated in the loss and re-direction of resources that were allocated for the benefit of the community not just them.

Why shouldn't indigenous women and youth expect the rights and protection enjoyed by other Australians? However there needs to be a departure from the present system where it has failed women and youth and funds have not reached areas of need.

Federal and State ministers are working together for improvements and while there would always be some Party politics involved it is completely unreasonable to spurn those efforts and encourage heckling and rabble rousing.

You yourself admit that intervention by government is required and with that in mind maybe you will be interested in a recent report that says just that.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200612/s1803705.htm
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 10:54:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cornflower,

Show me hard evidence for your allegations and I'll take you seriously.

Show me the bipartisan agreements between State and Federal governments on health policing, housing and community development.

Show me the focused efforts of State governments responding to the hundreds of reports and recommendations emanating from investigations and research conducted over the years.

Show me where government has invested in the development of real indigenous governance - not self management of government devolved programs - but self determination based on Indigenous jurisdictional powers.

And in doing so be mindful that newspaper stories and what Alan Jones, Patrick Duffy, John Laws and others does not count as evidence.

You're out of you're depth mate, another armchair liberal trying to exorcise your own white moral panic. Your base-level knowledge just isn’t capable of informing an opinion of Indigenous social policy.

Its people like you are part of the problem not part of the solution.

Calling you a redneck just doesn't seem adequate.

Be satisfied that I've been generous in providing you’re with some therapy here on OLO.

Have a nice day.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 12:15:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Last week the federal police arrived at Mutitjulu with search warrants, and turned over the home and office of Dorethea Randall, the community's acting chief executive office, seizing her computer hard-drive.

An unusually coy Minister Brough had no comment to make about what he has described as “operational police matters”.

Why don't the federal police raid Mal Brough's office. He is clearly up to no good in relation to Indigenous peoples?

Rainer don't you get weary of people just ignoring your often very correct statements and very good arguments? Worse still the way they are using spin rubbish produced for people with an inclination to believe anything that appeases their righteous world view must be so disappointing for you and yours. At least you can hold your head high amongst Australia's Indigenous peoples - having their respect is truly a blessing for you. Don't ever expect australians to say sorry - we should beg for Indigenous peoples' forgiveness.

Graham Ring thanks for exposing Mal Brough's lack of understanding and thus apparent lack of support from Indigenous peoples. Mind you he has kept the racists happy.

Also given the recent death on Palm Island of an Indigenous man in custody and the strained relations that Indigenous people currently have with the police, isn't it kind of disrespectful to be opening a police station under their noses. Dirty backhander if ever there was one.

Ignore the heart sinkers and seek out the heart lifters. Best wishes.
Posted by ronnie peters, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 5:23:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ronnie Peters and Rainier et al, please read

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2006/s1802593.htm

Then come back and tell us that we don't know what we are talking about.
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 7:35:24 PM
VK3AUU,
You seem to read into things what you want to hear.
read what Alf Davis said VERY carefully and very SLOWLY then THINK VERY carefully and slowly.

Alf points out very clearly that it is the failure of those who should be helping that is making issues worse.

Alf is a very good and strong Indigenous man. I have a lot of respect for him though I have only met him once. He is committed and caring and his message desperately needs to be heard.

Simply playing the blame game does not help protect kids, black or white.

Mal Brough's mob, the pollies, are playing politics and the blame game while achieving sweet nothing.

How about demanding what the police and judiciary have been doing all this time.

Why have the police done so little, or the helping professions, or the pollies.

The good Lord knows there has been enough reports and complaints made. (Oh sorry most of them have been made by Indigenous people, often victims. We must wait until a white person makes these complaints so that they become legitimate.)

This latest bleating is to round up the rednecks to beat the same old battered british Race drum that heralds the Howard horde into battle.
Posted by Aka, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 10:14:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy