The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sheikh Hilali had a point! > Comments

Sheikh Hilali had a point! : Comments

By Dave Smith, published 14/11/2006

It’s about time we Australians took an honest look at the effect dress codes in our culture have on our society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. All
We welcome and encourage dissenting views because it gives us reason to pause and check our course. One of those dissenting views comes from sheik al-Hilali who took time off from his English lessons (a language course which now spans 24 years) to unload his mind on dress codes, especially those that apply to females, and whether those dress codes comport with the Koran. The sheik wants things put right because according to his culture and his religion women should be indoors and covered up.

Maybe the sheik could tell us what it was about 9-year-old Ebony Simpson’s school uniform that attracted her rapist. Does the sheik think there was something provocative about the way Janine Balding negotiated with the ATM that caused her pack rape and murder. Did Anita Cobby appeal to a car load of hoons or just one of those hoons in the car, sheik?

At this point it might be appropriate to tell the sheik that his presence in Australia is predicated on a lie. He can’t claim to be a bona fide member of our society because in return for citizenship he agreed to learn English and engage his brain before he engaged us with the Koran.

Someone – and I don’t’ know who will get that onerous task – will have to load this anhedonic misogynist into his time machine and fire him back to the 7th century where his views will be enthusiastically embraced.
Posted by Sage, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 11:01:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David,

Why is it that now what women wear or not wear is becoming an issue?

If it is, we should discuss it in isolation of the 'rape' scare tactics. Rape is a result of a sick mind, bad education, drugs or alcohol, soft criminal justice, etc. Did anyone analyse the June Darling Harbour gang rape in public toilets? (of course no 'public outrage' they were not Lebanese!)

I also think that if we are to discuss dress codes it should also include men.

As for
"where women have to cover themselves in public, at least in part to lower the level of sexual temptation for men"

Not sure if this is your personal opinion but it is a misperception.
While I acknowledge that in some cases women who cover themselves up do it to to please a family memeber, many more do it out of their own conviction.

Peace,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 11:09:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"But I suspect that the statistics on sexual assault and marital breakdown are much healthier over there than they are here."

In Sweden statistics show Muslim men are responsible for 68% [sorry- i wish i could rememebr where i read this] of rape and sexual assaults
Posted by Charlock, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 12:02:16 PM
God help us, next the moral police will be wanting me to stop flirting.
Posted by keith, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 12:18:33 PM
To anti-green,

I do appreciate your sentiment. But it's not the mini-skirt that's reigning over us, it's what's inside it that's doing the reigning over us - now I do hope I spelt that word correctly.

And to Keith,

They do want you to stop flirting mate, they've even given it a name and its own legislation, it's called sexual harassment and it's something only a woman can be a victim of, under federal law (Sex Discrimination Act) - at least as interpreted by outgoing Commissioner Pru Goward. True story.
Posted by Maximus, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 12:36:58 PM
What we seem to be skirting around (sic) here is the issue of the apparent female 'right' to send misleading signals. At it's core, even make-up is a blatant attempt at misrepresenting the truth of a female's visual image. The entire fashion industry is not about decoration but, rather, the presentation of an image that is at varying degrees of divergence from the actual facts.

Men, in contrast, have devised a corporate uniform, the business suit, that minimises the potential for differentiation on purely visual grounds. And this encourages greater focus on the character, skills and attributes of the individual.

But men do not help womenkind by further enhancing female misrepresentation by the application of alcohol in such volumes as to impair sound judgement.

But it does raise an interesting issue. It seems that augmented breasts can cross the line from a dishonest representation of the facts to become a simple statement of a new reality. How, then, is this different to dressing like a slut, especially in a context of alcohol impaired cognition?

If new boobs that can be reversed still constitute a new "reality" then someone would need to explain how dressing like a slut, even temporarily, is still substantially different to actually being a slut. Surely it is just another transient reality?
Posted by Perseus, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 12:51:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy