The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A Real Test of Diversity > Comments

A Real Test of Diversity : Comments

By Saeed Khan, published 5/10/2006

Rather than leading the way towards a better future, opponents of multiculturalism are taking us back a century

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25
  13. All
Immigration for an economic system that will shaft us at any moment...no loyalty, no security and minimal benefits apart from a mortgage we can't afford. Why should I support this immigration policy? What have I got to benefit from not being xenophobic? Job insecurity, Anglo bashing (as seen in Sydney) and further isolation in an aloof society of people with nothing in common.

Australia does not have a skills shortage, we have a greed problem. The skills shortage is imaginary considering we still have considerable unemployment. Any skills shortage is the result of an economy to big for the population it purports to serve.

And Rainier you masquerade as someone highly intelligent, but only offer cut and run one liners. Is it possible to actually demonstrate your intelligence?
Posted by Angelo, Thursday, 5 October 2006 5:08:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many question the nature of the Australian identity and culture.Well first of all your language is the the vehicle by which your culture interacts and evolves.We have a very rich language that goes back centuries,with words and ideas taken from hundreds of cultures.

The Aussie version of English has it's own lexicons and slang which make us distintive from both the Yanks and the Brits.The Shame is that we are losing our distinctive character because of this global malaise.Our language is being butchered because we do not have any expectations or standards for those who want to become citizens.

Aussies have a great larconic sense of humour.We are the masters of understatements and love practical jokes.There is still a great national sense for the "fair go" and John Howard needs pay particualar attention to his IR legislation in this regard.

In recent years we have really lost our way in terms of discipline,family values,and respect for other people.I have never seen manners at the low ebb that exits now.These are all signs of a decaying society.

Saeed needs to study and appreciate the culture that affords him so much prosperity before he rants and raves about discrimmination.The Muslim countries in the Middle East have enormous wealth in terms of oil but many of it's people are among the poorest and least educated in the world.Perhaps Saeed needs to observe the religious bigots there too.

You'd think that those who come here would be greatful and joyous beyond belief,alas no,just notions of victims who want to push the envelope of their own biased agenda's.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 5 October 2006 8:34:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
After reading the first few paragraphs I thought "This bloke is playing the devils advocate, no one could believe this crap". But on completion I had changed my mind. He does believe this garbage. Given his political affliiations, I am not surprized. Why are lefties so hung up on conspiracys?

Contrary to the authers views, ethnic people are not being attacked. What is being seriously questioned is the ideolagy of multiculturalism and well it should be. MC is a failed ideolagy and to say there is "unity in diversity" is the biggest joke ever. Where is the unity between Croats and Serbs and when will the sunni and shia Iraqis unite? Never!

The concept of MC was foisted upon us by Grazzby, Whitlam and Fraser and has been used by politicians to give money, and jobs, to ethnic 'furhers' in exchange for votes. MC has not worked anywhere in the world so why is anyone surprized that it does not work here.

I do not accept that we are MC. We are multi-racial, and have been since 1788, but MC we are not. There are many aspects of other cultures that are not permitted here, either because those aspects are unlawful or not socially acceptable. The core of our culture stems from Britain, being the most dominant culture, especially in the early days of white settlement. Our political system, our laws and our judicary are all based on the British democratic system.
Our main types of music, entertainment and sports are Westernised.
Our laws take precedence over any religous or cultural dictations.

Like all cultures, ours is continuly evolving but we must not allow ourselves to be forced into change by socisl engineers who think they know better than us. MC was a social engineering experiment that has failed.

Multiculturalism is a furphy. For about 40 years we have been duped by the politicians and the MC industry.

We need to concentrate on integration and ditch MC.

By the way, the tests for English, etc. are to be for those seeking citizenship. Not for prospective migrants as the auther implied.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 5 October 2006 9:18:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lets have multiculturalism:

Where is the problem?

Let each of us have to live by the laws of our culture of origin, what could be wrong with that? If thieves in our culture have a hand cut off, and adulterers stoned to death, then let us live, in our groups, according to our culture.

If our daughter disgraces us by having sex before she is married, then let us do to her what our culture may dictate, in our culture it is all she deserves.

Let each of us live by the 'political' systems of our cultures of origin. That is, if our culture of origin doesn't give women the vote, then why should they have the vote in this country?

If in our culture of origin we don't have elected leaders, but have people who are appointed somehow by a group of elders, what could be wrong with that?

Lets get rid of all anti-discrimination legislation, because all that does is stop us from carrying out the cultural norms and practices of our culture of origin.

If in our culture of origin favouritism, nepotism and patronage are the important means of advancement, rather than ability and effort, then so be it. What is wrong with cultural based corruption? For us it is not corruption, it is simply the way we do business.

Let us only speak our own languages, and lets use that as an reason to claim that we are unique and special. Our language is our culture, why do we really need to learn any other language? Instead, we can rightfully expect the host culture to pay for interpreters so we can do our business with the host culture at the host culture's expense.

Let us be tribal, let us be divided. (Let us play cricket by the rules as we understand them.)

Let us be multi cultural.
Posted by Hamlet, Thursday, 5 October 2006 9:23:38 PM
I must say I'm a little put out by some of the posts here.

In particular, the comment on Australian's recognising terrorism as a threat and requiring harsher immigration standards to combat it. It should be noted that Mohamed Atta, the mastermind of the September 11 attacks, never applied for citizenship in the US (I think he came on a tourist visa, but I'm not sure). The bombers of the London tube were in fact British Nationals, many from well respected "assimilated" families. The proposed immigration laws would not have any effect on limiting the migration of terrorists.

As the son of an immigrant family, I find it rather distressing that immigrants seem to being villified in such a way. 24.6% of Australians are born overseas. Many in the so called "ethinic" communities have given Australia some of it's distinct "flavour" that I love. These include the Arabic speaking, predominently Muslim communities in Sydney's south west and in Perth's east (two cities I have lived in). These communities are bearing the brunt of xenophobic content of the proposed laws.

By the way, could somebody PLEASE tell me what are "Australian Values". And please don't respond with statements such as: respect for civil liberties, respect for women, a "fair go" and akcnowledgement of hard work. These values would disqualify our Prime Minister from gaining Australian citizenship.
Posted by la1985, Thursday, 5 October 2006 9:25:20 PM
Australia values as decreed by the Australian government (38,000 BC- 1778 AD).
Requirements:- New Residents must be able to
1. Speak any one of the 700 Aboriginal languages fluently.
2. Knock a 'roo over with a boomerang at 70 metres.
3. Spear a 'roo at 50 metres.
4. Identify edible bush tucker.
5. Build a weatherproof bark shelter.
6. Craft a seaworthy canoe from a tree trunk with a stone axe.
7. Start a campfire without matches or a lighter.
8. Kill and cook a native species.
9. Know how to use a woomera.
10. Identify animals from their droppings, especially bull droppings when they see or read it.
Posted by aspro, Thursday, 5 October 2006 9:30:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25