The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Education, religion and values: Getting the mix right > Comments

Education, religion and values: Getting the mix right : Comments

By Noel Preston, published 5/10/2006

How justified is the values related explanation for the shift to private schools? What is the case for integrating values and schooling?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Rex,
Are you telling me that those that engage in such relationships build the best society and have not caused pain to others or social disfunction? I've been a Crisis counsellor and I can tell you that those in such relationships lead the statistics in seeking help for relationship insecurity.

Quote, "Be in a defacto relationship.
Have children outside of formal marriage.
Be in a gay relationship.
Have an abortion.
Start a new relationship without first getting divorced."
Posted by Philo, Thursday, 12 October 2006 7:32:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Christianity and Islam have proved themselves completely socially irresponsible. Those superstitions have done more harm than their offshoot Satanism. Anybody who suggests teaching religious values to a child should be viewed with deep suspicion, the only purpose would be to brainwash that child in preparation for exploitation.
The focus of the Bible and Quran is in death. The onus is a life dedicated to eternal life in death. All the fantasy lands – Heaven, Hell, all the characters – God/Allah, Jesus, angels, Satan are found only in death (despite the paranoid superstition of omnipresence).
Children have enough to worry about than having to worry about the mortality focus which defines the death cult of Christianity.
To put that on the shoulders of Children is totally socially irresponsible.
Posted by West, Thursday, 12 October 2006 8:50:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
West you are mistaken Christ does not not emphasise about death but about life. Christianity is about living not about dying, as you claim.
Posted by Philo, Thursday, 12 October 2006 10:14:21 PM
We witness appalling ignorance, opposition and indifference to the teachings of Christ. So what did he teach and live?

1. His primary discourse is in Matthew 5: 1 - 7: 28 or Luke 6: 17 - 49, and outlines principles of right-living - how we are to aspire to blessing all men. It's not just a matter of not murdering as the law defines; rather it's not even hating your enemy. It is not just a matter of refraining from committing adultery it's rather the matter of not even accomodating the thought.

2. In Matthew 4: 1 - 11 we have his confrontation with the Masada Zealots who opposed Roman occupation of their land. These Zealots desired a bloody confrontation to overthrow the Romans. What was his attitude? Learn to live with enemies and bless their lives as they also are welcome to enter the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God isn't Jewish nationalism it's personal right living by all men. Note when he introduced the life and faith of Gentile examples while addressing his hometown they tried to throw him over a cliff. Luke 4: 14 - 30. He taught acommodation of all men, which was foreign to Jewish nationalism. See his example of the Samaritan [Luke 10: 25 - 37] the Samaritan's attitude reflected attitudes of the kingdom of God above the self-righteous religiously indifferent.

3. Among his friends were outcasts of society because they knew his acceptance and forgiveness of their sins. He believed people changed by offering forgiveness and acceptance, rather than by exclusion and holding guilt against them. This is evident even till the last breath of his life when he prayed for forgivness for his murderers.

People change as they are offered self worth over exclusion and condemnation. Even though their lives have failings they are encouraged to put their life right with God. Our society needs change in personal attitudes if we are to see national blessing. National blessing happens when people bless their opponents with forgiveness and encouragement. A society that functions on hateful adversial attitudes will ultimately fail.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 13 October 2006 8:25:29 AM
Philo if Christians cant handle the fact they have to share the planet with others such as homosexuals, defacto relationships, new relationships and about everything else that historically has also been the targets of both fascists and communists in the past then I would argue that a Christian life is a miserable life. Even if the fact that Christianity is a death cult is not taken into account. Although it is a demonstration that Christianity is prejudice based.

Philo if Christianity is not a death worshipping cult then when do Christians believe they are Judged by their idol. When do Christians go to Heaven? Where in the universe is Heaven? When do Christians achieve salvation? When do the people that Christians look down upon go to hell? Where in the universe is hell? What is the magic the occult rituals practised in churches trying to achieve? Certainly there is no god in life otherwise everybody would believe in god, there would be no reason for a god to hide, no reason for the excuses for his absence which has become a multi million dollar industry. When do you “meet your maker”? Certainly Christianity is a death cult and Jesus was all about death, the superstition of resurrection is in no way a cult of life.

Quoting bits and pieces of the bible is meaningless. You can quote Hitler too; neo-Nazi argue he loved the German people. It’s the exact same thing. Of course people want to protect their idols from the light of reality wether its Hitler or Jesus and what people do in the privacy of their own home is their business. But to force those beliefs onto others is wrong and immoral. The Biblical character of Jesus is exclusionary just as Hitler was. I cannot see why anybody would want to harm children with Christian values unless they wished to exploit those children.

Please tell me what do Christians believe happens to non Christians
Posted by West, Friday, 13 October 2006 9:23:43 AM
Dear West
I'm getting the impression you may have had a 'bad church experience' at some stage in your life.

You said:
"When do the people that Christians look down upon go to hell"

I don't look 'down' on anyone from my 'pulpit 2 feet above contradiction' Good grief.. the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax collector is outright condemnation for 'looking down' at people in the way u suggest.

Make no mistake though, I will call a spade a spade when it comes to politics. I will absolutely condemn some of the actions of Marilyn Shepherd, Bob Brown, and Tony Kevin for their antics in the political sphere.

I will even state that "homosexual behavior is deviate and an abomination to God". But "I'm so gooood..and they are so baddddd" is not where that comes from.

Rather it goes like this "I am the foremost of sinners, but by Grace, undeserved kindness, I am saved through faith" There is NOTHING in the transaction of salvation which allows us to 'look down' on people.

Philo and I might give different answers on "When do people goto hell"
But I prefer to emphasize the positive, Salvation, and leave judgement up to the Almighty.

Christian values in education are really quite good, but they fall into 'social' and 'spiritual' The spiritual cannot be forced on anyone. The social are a great foundation for a society.

You have a problem with these ?

-Honor your father and mother
-Do not murder
-Do not commit adultery
-Do not lie
-Do not steal
-Do not covet/lust

Most law is or is based on, 'restraining'. Mutual respect simply does not work. Its too nebulous.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 13 October 2006 10:40:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy