The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Steve Irwin - why we admired a boy who wouldn't grow up > Comments

Steve Irwin - why we admired a boy who wouldn't grow up : Comments

By Leslie Cannold, published 7/9/2006

Steve Irwin - there was more to the larrikin in khaki than even some fans saw.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Manufactured excitement - Irwin riling up a croc then filming brave Steve facing off with this 'dangerous animal'. Or grabbing a venomous snake and holding it up by its tail.

Manufactured compassion - Irwin walking along a beach wwith beached whales on it, wailing and mugging with overblown grief.

Irwin was a shameless ham. He knew what titillated about 'dangerous wildlife', what tickled people's fancy about blokey Australianism. He was a showman and a smart businessman, and good luck to him (until it ran out). His docos may have done some good in awareness-raising, and he did seem to love the animals, just sometimes seemed to have a peculiar, disrespectful way of showing it.

David Attenborough, though, shows how it can be done with class. Really doing homework, putting in hours of filming for a few screen minutes, really telling a story, overlaying the whole thing with well-informed, economical, quiet and dignified commentary. Never using the animals for show-trick gimickry.

Despite the Diana-like public grief exposition and the media cash-in, I think many Australians were a bit embarrassed by Irwin and the unsophisticated way he made his shows, and the ratings here showed it. He was like the collective embarrassing wayward brother that we never really acknowledged or appreciated until he died.
Posted by PK, Thursday, 7 September 2006 2:36:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PK.
Your comments are insensitive uncompassionate drivel particularly given at this time and I hope that the family does not have the misfortune to read it. HAVE YOU NO SHAME.
Posted by ALAMO, Thursday, 7 September 2006 11:25:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't you ever drink in the same pub as me PK. You are beneath contempt. I've met homeless people 100 times smarter and a thousand times more respectful towards the dead than you. Crawl back under your rock.
Posted by WayneSmith, Friday, 8 September 2006 11:03:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PK, Steve Irwin was a wonderful man with a heart of gold. He was a compassinate conservationists and a proud father. Obviously you have no consideration for Steve's family, writing such rude things about a person they loved. You should be embarressed of your self.
Posted by Gigs, Friday, 8 September 2006 11:52:41 AM
Talk about over-reaction. Are we talking about an 'ordinary bloke' as described by his father, or some kind of secular saint?

Alamo, Wayne and gigs, you really need to get some perspective. This is an opinion site. Leslie wrote an opinion piece about Irwin, I posted my honest opinion. It is one I have held for some time, that has not changed because of Irwin's death, and which I should in no way feel restrained from expressing out of some kind of misplaced 'respect for his family'. We are not at his funeral.

The man was a public figure. I am not talking about a private dimension here. It is open to us to comment on his life honestly. I doubt if Irwin's family would be spending time looking at a site like this right now to check what people are saying about him. If they did, I would not be ashamed about what I wrote at all. It was not totally condemnatory nor disrespectful.

Wayne, there is no need to ask in screaming capitals whether I have shame - I have other things - honesty and a sense of proportion. You on the other hand have come here looking for opinions when, clearly, you cannot handle opinions.
Posted by PK, Friday, 8 September 2006 1:56:42 PM
PK

Your praises of David Attenborough's documentaries reveals just how insensitive you are to wildlife. Attenborough does, no doubt attract your type since he is obsessed with showing viewers (without fail) the predatory side of animals and seemingly delights in filming strong animals bringing down a weaker one. He obviously is under the illusion that viewers get a thrill watching predatory beasts feasting on other animals after the kill(though often still breathing at that!)

No doubt you get off on this sort of "professional" account of life in the wild. I suspect that most of us don't.

Steve Irwin's compassion for wildlife and conservation will never by sullied by the likes of you PK
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 9 September 2006 12:34:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy