The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Steve Irwin - why we admired a boy who wouldn't grow up > Comments

Steve Irwin - why we admired a boy who wouldn't grow up : Comments

By Leslie Cannold, published 7/9/2006

Steve Irwin - there was more to the larrikin in khaki than even some fans saw.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Manufactured excitement - Irwin riling up a croc then filming brave Steve facing off with this 'dangerous animal'. Or grabbing a venomous snake and holding it up by its tail.

Manufactured compassion - Irwin walking along a beach wwith beached whales on it, wailing and mugging with overblown grief.

Irwin was a shameless ham. He knew what titillated about 'dangerous wildlife', what tickled people's fancy about blokey Australianism. He was a showman and a smart businessman, and good luck to him (until it ran out). His docos may have done some good in awareness-raising, and he did seem to love the animals, just sometimes seemed to have a peculiar, disrespectful way of showing it.

David Attenborough, though, shows how it can be done with class. Really doing homework, putting in hours of filming for a few screen minutes, really telling a story, overlaying the whole thing with well-informed, economical, quiet and dignified commentary. Never using the animals for show-trick gimickry.

Despite the Diana-like public grief exposition and the media cash-in, I think many Australians were a bit embarrassed by Irwin and the unsophisticated way he made his shows, and the ratings here showed it. He was like the collective embarrassing wayward brother that we never really acknowledged or appreciated until he died.
Posted by PK, Thursday, 7 September 2006 2:36:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PK.
Your comments are insensitive uncompassionate drivel particularly given at this time and I hope that the family does not have the misfortune to read it. HAVE YOU NO SHAME.
Posted by ALAMO, Thursday, 7 September 2006 11:25:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't you ever drink in the same pub as me PK. You are beneath contempt. I've met homeless people 100 times smarter and a thousand times more respectful towards the dead than you. Crawl back under your rock.
Posted by WayneSmith, Friday, 8 September 2006 11:03:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PK, Steve Irwin was a wonderful man with a heart of gold. He was a compassinate conservationists and a proud father. Obviously you have no consideration for Steve's family, writing such rude things about a person they loved. You should be embarressed of your self.
Posted by Gigs, Friday, 8 September 2006 11:52:41 AM
Talk about over-reaction. Are we talking about an 'ordinary bloke' as described by his father, or some kind of secular saint?

Alamo, Wayne and gigs, you really need to get some perspective. This is an opinion site. Leslie wrote an opinion piece about Irwin, I posted my honest opinion. It is one I have held for some time, that has not changed because of Irwin's death, and which I should in no way feel restrained from expressing out of some kind of misplaced 'respect for his family'. We are not at his funeral.

The man was a public figure. I am not talking about a private dimension here. It is open to us to comment on his life honestly. I doubt if Irwin's family would be spending time looking at a site like this right now to check what people are saying about him. If they did, I would not be ashamed about what I wrote at all. It was not totally condemnatory nor disrespectful.

Wayne, there is no need to ask in screaming capitals whether I have shame - I have other things - honesty and a sense of proportion. You on the other hand have come here looking for opinions when, clearly, you cannot handle opinions.
Posted by PK, Friday, 8 September 2006 1:56:42 PM
PK

Your praises of David Attenborough's documentaries reveals just how insensitive you are to wildlife. Attenborough does, no doubt attract your type since he is obsessed with showing viewers (without fail) the predatory side of animals and seemingly delights in filming strong animals bringing down a weaker one. He obviously is under the illusion that viewers get a thrill watching predatory beasts feasting on other animals after the kill(though often still breathing at that!)

No doubt you get off on this sort of "professional" account of life in the wild. I suspect that most of us don't.

Steve Irwin's compassion for wildlife and conservation will never by sullied by the likes of you PK
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 9 September 2006 12:34:58 AM
What interested me about Steve Irwin was the fact that he put his MONEY where his mouth was. It really saddens me that he died so young.

What saddens me about Attenborough is that just because he has the accent of a British "toff" - some people think he's "classy". He doesn't seem to me to point out the fact that meat-eating animals only kill the weakest and often the sickest of their prey, thereby performing, dare I say it, a "humane" task.

I grieve for Steve Irwins family.
Posted by Sundari, Saturday, 9 September 2006 4:44:27 AM
Australia has lost a Son - Steve Irwin

Australia has lost one of its most rarest Gems.

Steve Irwin, Conservationists and Crocodile Hunter lost his life in a freak tragic accident whilst diving off the Queensland coast at Port Douglas.

Steve Irwin was a National and International "Phenomenon" who had a boundless energy and passion for life.

Steve Irwin bought to the world, unknown boundaries of life, opportunities to see places we would have never seen in a lifetime.

Steve Irwin would sell the shirt off his own back, to save and conserve Australia's Marine and Wildlife.

He loved Australia.

Steve Irwin a great Son, Husband and Father.

Steve Irwin leaves behind the most precious legacy he has, two great Australian children.

Australia's honour to Steve Irwin is to take care and watch over this precious legacy.

Steve Irwin had no fear of death
Posted by Suebdootwo, Saturday, 9 September 2006 1:03:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sundari

I don't believe you have watched Attenborough sufficiently when you claim that his footage portrays predatory animals only bringing down weak or sick animals.

The animals he portrays brings down any unsuspecting species which just got in the way or was in closest proximity to the predator. This does not necessarily indicate that they are any weaker or sicker than the rest of the herd.

Steve Irwin did not depend on Nature's violent side to attract viewers - Attenborough does!
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 9 September 2006 3:15:26 PM
Whatever one`s opinion regarding Steve, it is undeniable that through him many people who would not ordinarily know much about Australia were aware of it through him. I was sitting eating dinner in a little chop-house in a tiny village in the middle of China the evening of the day he died. At first I could not believe I was hearing the name correctly in that strange setting, but at last I asked what people were talking about and so learned of his death. It was a shock to me as I used to live not far from him and have had quite a bit of contact with Australia Zoo. But the biggest shock of all was to find him the topic of dinner conversation in a place where the average person has no clear idea even of where Australia lies. None of the foreign teachers here in my University even know the name of our Prime Minister, but every one of them I encountered in shocked voices passed on their commiserations regarding Steve. So...good on ya, mate.
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 9 September 2006 4:45:46 PM
PK

Steve never spoke out about the Cruelty of live exports.

Given his title it would have helped.

I guess he had his reasons but I will just say this.

His kids probably will see this one day.

Well I sure hope that makes you happy.

I am with that other bloke. Dont drink in my pub either.Crawl back under the rock you came from.

You Forum is beyond the PALE.
Posted by Wendy Lewthwaite, Saturday, 9 September 2006 6:39:30 PM
I never met Steve Irwin, but my daughter is taught at UQ by scientists who worked with him, including on his most recent crocodile-tagging trip, which they say would have achieved only a small fraction of what it did without Steve. My daughter says that before Steve died, the UQ staff had made clear their admiration for Steve - they held him in very high regard both in terms of his contribution to conservation and as a person. Good on ya, Steve.
Posted by Faustino, Sunday, 10 September 2006 1:25:45 PM
I'm happy to acknowledge that since his death, I have learned more about Steve Irwin and what I have learned has increased my estimation of him. I still regard him as a mixed blessing though. Just like every other human. Note, human. Not a demi-god or saint. Death does not elevate us to that status nor wipe away our faults. We should not desire that it does so, nor treat the dead as though it were so. What would that achieve?

Wendy, not sure where you were going with the live export theme.

Steve's kids will probably see this one day, you say, Wendy? I'm thinking, probably not. But if they do, I could face them and look them in the eye - see above.

If you and Wayne would like to post with the names of the pubs that you frequent, I will do my best to avoid them. To be honest, they sound more like churches than pubs. I will climb back under my rock now - but it's kinda crowded with the irreverent, the sceptics, and the non-believers.
Posted by PK, Sunday, 10 September 2006 8:15:32 PM
Being from North America, I guess I don't see why Australians "cringed" at Steve Irwin. I liked him. He had a zest for life that I wish I could find. He threw himself into the fray to prove to the rest of us that nothing less than total commitment to life was required in order to live a life most extraordinary. I think we should remember the man for what he was...
conservationist
family man
"regular bloke"

I also think we should examine our own lives and see if we too can find the same type of passion. If we can, then maybe we could make a difference, too (just like Steve). He will be missed...
Posted by petpal, Monday, 11 September 2006 5:28:41 AM
Petpal, I've often thought that Queensland needs more Americans. By and large, Americans are more entrepreneurial, more prepared to give it a go, to accept/look for the positives in change, while Queensland fears change and supports the status quo, vested interests, rather than accepting that change is the essence of existence, that understanding the process and learning how to make best use of it is the best way to proceed. I'm not surpised that Steve went down better in the US.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 11 September 2006 12:25:42 PM
I'm a mother of two boys, three and four and live in the U.S. Steve has truly touched my heart. I am so saddened and I don't know the man. He seems a sweet, caring, compassionate and enthusiastic human being and now he's gone. He was a boy who wouldn't grow up Thank GOD! He lived his dream and he has changed me to appreciate animals more. I have been taking my boys to the zoo every 3 days and now I make an effort to explain the animals to them and where they come from and ask them to explain to me what "ENDANGERED" means so that they understand how important animals are. We watch the Crocodile Hunter enthusiastically and they ask if they will see Steve at the zoo. Steve....you did make a difference. I promise.
Posted by dgorno, Monday, 11 September 2006 1:22:10 PM
pK

The only thing I beleive in is that God made some Dicks Heads.
Your one of them.
When I think that Steve is dead and your alive
I just cant figure why.
It just doesnt seem right somehow.
No of course you wouldnt figure the reference made to Live Exports PK.
Your too full of yourself to even know they exsist.
Posted by Wendy Lewthwaite, Monday, 11 September 2006 3:06:18 PM
Wendy:
'When I think that Steve is dead and your alive
I just cant figure why.'

It's obvious. I don't go about, riling up wild animals for entertainment. Unless I count you, who I have riled up, though I can't see why you are riled. But you are about as dangerous as one of your 'live exports'. Maybe, about as dangerous as one of those that didn't make it to the destination.

Where's your pub? You need to head there and get a few looseners under your belt. You sound like a bogan. And maybe Steve was the 'bogan's hero'.
Posted by PK, Monday, 11 September 2006 4:26:09 PM
Steve Irwin
is not here to defend himself. Even if he were he would just smile.
You very clearly have a mental health issue so I wont encourage your evil mcomments or lower myself to repond further.
Your a discrace.
Posted by Wendy Lewthwaite, Monday, 11 September 2006 7:13:18 PM
I detect much envy in PK's derision of Irwin.Steve made the best of who he was,and good luck to him.

Life is too short for envious notions that limit our own capacity to grow.Be happy with who you are,because there are billions who live from hand to mouth,just wishing they had the time for PK's envious introspection.

If you really want to be happy PK,know yourself and what motivates our common humanity.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 8:07:21 PM
Your analysis is incorrect, Arjay. I am not envious of Steve Irwin. I have never had any desire to live a life like him. I have been successful in what I have attempted in my life, and feel no envy of anyone. That is not to say I cannot nor should not venture a critical opinion on a site like this - that's a reason that it exists, as you would know as a frequent blogger who is often critical of others. By your own reasoning, then, should I assume that you are secretly envious of those that you critcise? No, of course not, it's nonsense.
Posted by PK, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 8:32:51 PM
PK spoke up, and has been blasted. I strongly disagree with him, but ultimately he is right when he says this site is about differing opinions - rather than blast PK, you're better off framing your views, and stating why you believe they are the right ones.

I've met Steve Irwin on a few occasions, he was a guest lecturer at the university where I studied a few times, speaking about tourism and conservation etc.

While I can understand many people out there with a cynical bent assume he is putting on an act, I honestly believe he is not, and I've yet to come across anyone who has met him who differs in this view.

He was enthusiastic about his work, and yes, he really was that blokey and at times, naive. But he lived doing what he loved, and he made a real difference to the things that mattered to him.

He could have simply gotten rich, instead he funnelled his money into worthy causes, and lived in the same bungalow he'd always lived in. He mightn't have seemed all that bright, but he was happy. Ultimately he'd discovered that money paled in comparison to things like family and doing what you love.

Something I think we can all take a lesson from. Farewell Steve, I hope your legacy lives on.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 14 September 2006 9:23:09 AM
Turnrightthenleft....I agree with you 100 percent..

Pk is a jealous, mean spirited man...

Steve Irwin WAS A LEGEND PK.

Like it or not.

And right on the poster who said Attenborough filmed animals canabilising each other for veiwing pleasure..

Irwin certainly had a different way of doing things but his efforts recruited attention worldwide and most importantly ,and THE REASON he provided said 'showmanship' was to create interest for animal welfare that would go beyond sitting on our lounges .He inspired action.

I am as a result setting up my own wildlife shelter soon..yes since his death but whatever the reason the main thing is that we do..his dying should not pass into history his and be forgotten..

He inspired a love of creatures and motivation to example his work in our own life.

Pk is just getting a little recognition for himself here by oppotunistically 'cashing in' on Steves death...very cheap.

If it wasnt for his unorthodox style none of us wopuld be even discussing any of this...so he can be satisfied that his plan worked..
Thanks to the likes of PK..all publicity is good.

As for embarrassed ?I thought he was just a good and loving bloke..
Posted by OZGIRL, Tuesday, 19 September 2006 11:30:53 AM
i live in queensland
i live on the sunshine coast
i live 10 minutes away from Australia Zoo

ive met steve before. i can honestly say hearing steve irwin had dies shocked us. i have live here from 10 years and nothing has had a bigger shock than this. people are NOT ashamed of steve irwin and they never will be. he is and always will be our favourite aussie icon. please respect him and his family,
Posted by maver, Friday, 13 October 2006 2:48:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy