The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Just too busy being busy? > Comments

Just too busy being busy? : Comments

By Alison Sweeney, published 8/9/2006

Are you time poor? Is you work-life balance out of whack?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I am too busy to respond to this.
Posted by brown cardigan, Friday, 8 September 2006 1:03:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Me too brown cardigan.
Posted by Rhys, Friday, 8 September 2006 2:01:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm too busy to read it.

Otherwise, great article.
Posted by chainsmoker, Friday, 8 September 2006 3:40:19 PM
Nah, life’s generally a bore.

Thank GOODNESS for OLO. Otherwise I’d be tearin' me 'air out lookin' for sumpin to do!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 9 September 2006 3:53:53 PM
Adore the too busy comments folks :-)

Alision nice article but we need to probe deeper.

The impact is detrimental inside the system everywhere today.

Especially in areas of social justice, where many lives bare the brunt, suffering needlessly, as a consequence of this "time poor" and very "trendy" busy - "I'm not here" - avoidance habit forming stunt.

Poor time directives now dominate the reality of management departments everywhere, and what makes this even worse is; how this (well paid) trend (casually) appears to "conform" to it, by forcing our submissions to "it's okay" from "don't hassle me" (other wise cope it sweet) issue.

Entrenched, it promotes and irrationally supports systematically (as it's habit forming by-product) a proactive - poor referral formality, which is a serious break-down within managerment. (Pasting the Buck being a major indice of this)

This then becomes unfortunately... the too hard basket - and given the cost and effort it takes to play phone or paper tag - especially from regional areas - to communicate... many people become lost - as they fall through the net - a social drift, at large.

I am sorry, it is no laughs today, instead I say it is now all too common as the new workplace negative phenomenon.

It results in citizen (client) frustrations, adds fuel to mis-understandings and contributes to ill health. Especially in the area of a person's mental capacity.

Here I am speaking out for the receivers of this neglectful "I'm to busy" hypo trend, being the public, who have to put up with this new age crime, from government servicing especially.
Posted by miacat, Sunday, 10 September 2006 2:07:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's true that these days it's not quite kosher to be anything but busy - yet some of us are not frantic. While family life is always full, and if you read, write and engage in thought, then you are occupied - it's not quite what the busy people mean.

One needs to be living at speed, surfing towards numerous appointed goals, juggling a multitude of impressive tasks with aplomb. Busy-ness is seen as a virtue that's for sure. Sometimes people seem to be aggressively asserting how fully occupied they are. Perhaps it's defensive - deflecting any further demands on them, or guilt-tripping the listener into taking on a task. Or a way of signalling worthiness and a challenge to 'top that'.

I heard someone a while ago talking about a 'slow' movement, like slow food but applied to everything. I thankfully know a few sane people who resist the rushing towards sainthood mentality. Perhaps we can all have secret pockets of 'unbusyness' that we enjoy. Just don't tell anyone.
Posted by Miss Bennet, Sunday, 10 September 2006 11:32:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy