The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Human Rights Watch targets Israel > Comments

Human Rights Watch targets Israel : Comments

By Sarah Mandel, published 26/7/2006

Political bias of HRW's Middle East division is regularly expressed in its disproportionate focus on Israel.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
As stated previously, Israel has complied with its obligations under International Law, especially ‘Geneva Convention 1949’, Additional Protocol 1 (1977) http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/other/dfat/treaties/1991/29.html?query=^%20geneva%20convention:

The necessary proportionality in warfare is defined as being not excessive to the military advantage to be gained by attacking legitimate targets [Art.51(5)(b)], for a legitimate purpose. In this instance, Israel's stated objective is to disarm, and weaken Hizbollah, and to put into effect UNSC Resolutions 425 & 1559 (an eminently legitimate objective).

Israel however has made use of all reasonable avenues by which to advise civilians within potential target areas of their areas status [Art.57(2)(a)(i)] and by doing so have reasonably attempted to comply with the protocol [Art.57(2)(a)(i)-(iii)]. The choice of targets, including civilian infrastructure, roads, electricity plants and even strategically placed villages and houses, which offer legitimate ‘military advantage’ to their opponent’s, are thus legitimate targets [Art.52(2)].

However, neither Hizbollah nor HAMAS have made any reasonable attempt to ensure that they target purely military targets [Art.51(4)(a)] and/or use weapons which are incapable of distinguishing between Military & Civilian Targets [Art.51(4)(a)-(c)]. Combatant’s utilise the false civilian status, in order to safeguard their assets from direct attack (perfidy) [Art.37(1)(c)], the effect of which is to ensure strikes are made within otherwise civilian areas [Art.51(5)(b)], which action by the Hizbollah & HAMAS is prohibited [Art.51(7)].

More to the point, Lebanon had to enforce border security with its own army, and disarm the militias (their obligations under UNSC RES425) they have not, but placed them in control of the border. Their is no menion of this by HRW, only specious claims of 'disproportionality'.

Inshallah

2bob
Posted by 2bob, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 11:05:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is refreshing to read some commonsense statements about the coverage of this conflict. Perhaps the ABC should take note. Over the last few days there have been on various ABC programs a concentration on the tragedies in Lebanon with little or no mention of what is happening to the people in Israel.
Posted by baldpaul, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 11:22:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for telling it how it is Sarah. As for the rest of you, you disgust me with you uncritical support for vile Islamo-fascists who happily murder civilians, execute gays, mecilessly oppress their women and violently trample all over their citizen's human rights.
Posted by jeremy29, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 11:33:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The thesis seems to be this.

The Islamofacists hide among the civilians so we will kill all the civilians. Is that right Sarah? I have said repeatedly I will not take sides but this type of drivel makes it really, really hard.

In Israel the population is not without water, without electricity, and not being terrorised and made homeless from one end of the country to the other. Israel is being supplied billions in new bombs to rain down on civilians, ambulances, UN stations and so on.

800,000 homeless Lebanese Sarah. Israel is controlling who can get in and out of Lebanon just as they always have in the Gaza strip.

Perhaps you don't understand a basic fact - HRW can only report on what is there.

Have you read the reports about the criminal thugs we in the west are supporting in Afghanistan? No? Well that report is being ignored by the west because it is too inconvenient for us. We don't care that the murderers, rapists, looters and criminals of old are now the parliament of Afghanistan because we are too busy propping up the facist new government in Iraq after displacing over 1 million Iraqis and blowing their country to bits.

Those reports from HRW are ignored by us as well because they are too inconvenient. If Israel stopped taking other people's lands and water and goods and services and stopped locking them in a Warsaw style ghetto as collective punishment for the sickening behaviour of the west then Israel might find herself with a few more bloody friends right now.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 12:06:06 PM
Jeremy, I doubt you'd understand the depth of disgust non believers feel for rabid zionist apologists, supporting the continuing godly expression in the ME.

It was the self-centred arrogance of violent zionists who murdered their way into their current position (1947-48). It was destined to be a failed state from the start and wont survive. If we're lucky all monotheists will rush to the ME in support of their god and fight each other to death, to prove who is the most violent believer and claim the glory for the devastation, (act of god).

Supporters on all sides of this barbarity, show no common-sense at all. Constantly blaming each other, shows a complete lack of intelligence. But if you believe in a violent vengeful god intent on destroying everything in its path, what else can you expect but more violence.

I understand why Australian people don't like Jews, nor muslims or Christian zealots, your all ignorant and have no thought for anyone else. Just go into a jewish shop in Balaclava (Melb)to see the reception you get if your not jewish, no service, just ignored and starred at on the street. The same goes for muslims and christians of the more rabid set.

Israel is doomed, as is the whole ME, nothing will stop it and only fools will support it. Why are they there, control of oil The Israelites have a cease fire when the black widow spider Rice, enters Lebanon, but no cease fire to get out tourists, as the USA imports WMD's for use against civilians.

I've seen video/photo's of the damage in Israel, whilst gods zionist missiles rain down in ever increasing indiscriminate violence on all and sundry.

But your right, your belief gives you the right to invade someone back yard, attack and throw them out, then continue to take more and more with violent destructive force.

One fail safe solution, is remove Israel to the USA as that's their entire support base. Another chosen country of god and just as despotically violent.
Posted by The alchemist, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 12:33:02 PM
It is a sad indictment of the Australian Media when a more balance and less hysterical anti-Israeli view of the conflict can be obtain from Aljazeera. It says alot about the lack of independence and/or journalistic freedom displayed by the media.

The recent "reminder" of a 50 year old+ D-Notice by the government to the media related to Nuclear tests in Australia being a case-in-point.

One must laugh at the "ambulance" stunt pulled by Hezbollah (yet again). The terrorist are well documented for acquiring and using ambulances for material and personnel transport. The damage to the ambulance (and the survivors of the blast who lived to talk about it!) are indicative of the blast not being caused by Israeli ordinance. The incident seem to disappear very quickly from the media spotlight when it was questioned...
Posted by Narcissist, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 12:41:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy